Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Do kids still have secondary positions?

What's on your mind?

by cwcivicgrl » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:06 pm

First year 14U the season is long many things can happen and change. Yes there are secondary positions.

Honestly in a parents eyes we have a designated position for our child and in some cases I've seen parents who are trying to make that decision for their kid and their kid doesn't even like or feel comfortable with the position their parents wants them to play. I am all for the child making the decision and the parent supporting their decision. Not to say that this is was your doing, this is just a general statement.

It is a good mentality to have strengths in all positions (utility player). When you get into the Gold level Travel teams, high school, and college you need to be well versed cause the coach will sum up your playing abilities and pick what he/she feels your best at and put you there and don't get too comfortable because as the season advances the coach may see you playing a different position. Players also get injured and then the coach will switch players positions up and your daughter then will have her moment to shine.

If the coach is not allowing your daughter to play any other position than OF why not work on her secondary position with her on the dirt and if your up for it put her in a fielding class.

My daughter is an Outfielder always has been. Coaches put her in other positions and she puts in hard work at every position she is asked to play however it never takes a coach long to figure out she kills it in the outfield. But with that said she takes an Outfield Class one week and the next week she takes and Infield class and we switch every week because I feel its important for her to have strengths in both areas. If she wants to play softball for the long haul she needs to be well versed to make it that far.

I hope a little bit of this was helpful, I know we all have different opinions. That's the beauty of softball many people do it different ways but yet are still successful.

I also don't feel its a good idea to switch to a new team so soon. My daughter had a few issues at the end of her last season with her travel team and you know what I told her work it out the grass is never greener on the other side. Now's the time for her to show she can work through her problems and guess what she did this new season is going great and the problem is not a problem anymore. Life lessons, these kids are young and were here as parents to teach them now.
cwcivicgrl
Premium Member
Premium Member

by anaomip » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:38 am

cwcivicgrl wrote:First year 14U the season is long many things can happen and change. Yes there are secondary positions.

Honestly in a parents eyes we have a designated position for our child and in some cases I've seen parents who are trying to make that decision for their kid and their kid doesn't even like or feel comfortable with the position their parents wants them to play. I am all for the child making the decision and the parent supporting their decision. Not to say that this is was your doing, this is just a general statement.

It is a good mentality to have strengths in all positions (utility player). When you get into the Gold level Travel teams, high school, and college you need to be well versed cause the coach will sum up your playing abilities and pick what he/she feels your best at and put you there and don't get too comfortable because as the season advances the coach may see you playing a different position. Players also get injured and then the coach will switch players positions up and your daughter then will have her moment to shine.

If the coach is not allowing your daughter to play any other position than OF why not work on her secondary position with her on the dirt and if your up for it put her in a fielding class.

My daughter is an Outfielder always has been. Coaches put her in other positions and she puts in hard work at every position she is asked to play however it never takes a coach long to figure out she kills it in the outfield. But with that said she takes an Outfield Class one week and the next week she takes and Infield class and we switch every week because I feel its important for her to have strengths in both areas. If she wants to play softball for the long haul she needs to be well versed to make it that far.

I hope a little bit of this was helpful, I know we all have different opinions. That's the beauty of softball many people do it different ways but yet are still successful.

I also don't feel its a good idea to switch to a new team so soon. My daughter had a few issues at the end of her last season with her travel team and you know what I told her work it out the grass is never greener on the other side. Now's the time for her to show she can work through her problems and guess what she did this new season is going great and the problem is not a problem anymore. Life lessons, these kids are young and were here as parents to teach them now.

Cwcivicgrl....thank you for your response. Yes, my kid goes to fielding classes ever week, she's been doing that for the last 2 years. She also works on her own a lot. We go to the field independently a few times a week. She said she wants to play infield and outfield both, her decision. I'm trying to put her in the best situation to allow her to still do that, and not leaving the team so soon. A lot of people are sayimg secondary positions are important. The more they can do the better. Like you said when they get older coaches will move them around. I just don't see this team developing her anywhere other then outfield. It's not even about tournament playing time, it's about development during practice/friendlies. But then again 14u and more competitive org is new to me, so I didnt know if this is normal.
anaomip
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:46 pm

It’s a great discussion. My daughter is a 1st year 14u starting catcher on her travel team in So Cal. She has been a starting catcher since 2nd yr 10’s. I made it clear to both coaches she has played for that I didn’t see her as a catcher long term ( she is under 5ft tall and under 100lbs. ) and thought 2nd base was her more natural position. Needless to say although she has gotten some limited time at 2B both teams has always needed her behind the dish so that’s where she plays. So to echo a few opinions previously stated....It is the coaches team and they get to play the kids where they think helps the team the most.....I agree sometimes the coaches might know better where to play your daughter than you do.....I also agree that if you were told one thing by the coach and they didn’t fall through that it’s grounds to look for another team and is not “jumping” IMO...I also agree that especially in bigger organizations and more top notch teams there seems to be less kids playing secondary positions because as someone said your daughter playing SS could affect the whole chemistry of the defense....you might consider playing for a less competitive team if you really want that opportunity to play multiple positions
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions