Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Do kids still have secondary positions?

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:04 am

I will take this approach.
Never stop doing
what you love!

As a six-year-old I started catching. Play Bobby Socks and started travel ball when travel ball started here in Southern California I was about 12. Was the starting catcher for about five years on the original Orange County Batbusters team. When I got to High School a high school coach who had a very strong reputation in softball she coached alongside Phil Bruder on the National Champions Raiders team ( won 18's nationals something like 12 years in a row,) Her name is Colleen Silva. God bless her have learned a lot of tenacity from her. When I tried out for the high school team as a freshman she told me you are not a catcher you are a 3rd baseman. I kind of stared in amazement at her, knowing she was an intelligent woman and great coach. I did think and look at her like
" no I'm a catcher and that's exactly what I am". That season as a freshman I did play Third Base. Outside of that season I had the opportunity to continue catching and I continued catching with the Orange County Bat Buster's. (who by the way was one of Phil Bruder and Colleen Silva's greatest rival team the Raiders) As a sophomore Junior and Senior Year at Edison High School took over the starting catching position and made all conference, all-cif and made Hall of Fame as a catcher at Edison High School. I continued my catching career at Long Beach state again starting catcher and received numerous awards, including being named to the 1986 College World Series First Team as a catcher. After coaching at 'The Beach'
Continued my catching career in womans open travel ball. And became an All-American in travel ball and continue catching till I was 30. In 2009 I was inducted to the Long Beach Hall of Fame. As a catcher.
I have been teaching catching now for 32 years. My first students as catchers started being awarded scholarships 29 years ago and ever since have been.
I am still a catcher.
I am still teaching catching.
Never stop doing what you love!

*Very important to note that in this story Colleen Silva and Phil Bruder were the winningest travel ballcoaches in softball for over a decade!
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:43 am, edited 7 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:14 am

anaomip wrote:
jonriv wrote:Frankly, I was not overly impressed with the fielding stats you presented. Perhaps your desire to have your daughter play “up the middle” since those are historically more recruited position has clouded your judgement. The coach is telling you fro his/her observations that those positions might not be the best for her. Sometimes hearing the truth is tough. My daughter had been a catcher up to 14u. Chronic back pain and a coach(who was wiser than me) made her a full time outfielder to better utilize her speed and arm. She played outfield all the way through college. This same coach converted another catcher(who was an Allstate Hs catcher) to a shortstop/2b because it better showcased her athleticism and got her a D1 scholarship. As parents our view of our kids talents and abilities is always biased. It is difficult, but very important to listen to critical and honest observations. I have seen too many players crash and burn because they know better than the coaches where their kids can play

Jonriv.....i used her stats to show that shes not a terrible infielder, not to show she's a superstar there. For a 12 year old at the time, 7 errors in 46 games and the put outs was really high is not bad. I am realistic, she is not the starting middle infielder on this team, but should 1 coach at first year 14u make the decison for her to stop working and developing there? Is that normal this young? I guess im having a hard time relying on 1 coaches opinion when up until now shes been told differently. Maybe they are right, or may be they are only focusing on where they need her for the team instead of her development. It's hard to tell.

My point is that the coach might be seeing something you don't and 14u is usually where the "separation" of talent starts to really be apparent. Perhaps a different team is the way to go or maybe the coach is giving you a message you and your daughter need to hear-JMO
jonriv

by FastpitchPros » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:46 am

anaomip - Thanks for sharing your story about your DD.

These are the questions that you and your DD need to ask yourself about this team?

Did you know anything about the past success of this head coach?
Did you talk to any other parents/players of the team before joining the team?

If this an experienced non-parent coach with a successful history... then the players and parents should follow the coach's decisions and training (just like following a new job's management decisions and training).

When you join an organization... you are committing to the team.

When the coach told your daughter “... that your DD can be a really good outfielder, and that she is way behind all the other infielders

It sounds like the coach is being honest about her current skill level - "there are probably players that are better in the middle infield than your daughter's current ability"

However, if she really wants to play in a second position, then she should put in her "personal practice time" to become better at that position.

Don't rely on team practices to have your DD become a better player... that's what EVERYONE else is doing.

If you want to be a better hitter... you need to do your own "year-round homework" and invest in a hitting coach.
If you want to be a better pitcher, you need to do your own "year-round homework" and invest in a pitching coach.
If you want to be a better infielder... you need to do your own "year-round homework" and work on your skills.
So-on and so-on.

If you want to become more amazing... then you must work harder than the other players... during your own personal time… and year-round.

P.S. Maybe your DD could even ask the coach if they could help her "after practice" with becoming the best "back-up" infielder on the team.

“It is easier to blame others than it is to work harder and prove them wrong" Anonymous
Experienced advice is FREE to those that listen... Others will pay for it later"
FastpitchPros
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:14 am

Fastpitchpros?
FastpitchPros wrote:anaomip - Thanks for sharing your story about your DD.

These are the questions that you and your DD need to ask yourself about this team?

Did you know anything about the past success of this head coach?
Did you talk to any other parents/players of the team before joining the team?

If this an experienced non-parent coach with a successful history... then the players and parents should follow the coach's decisions and training (just like following a new job's management decisions and training).

When you join an organization... you are committing to the team.

When the coach told your daughter “... that your DD can be a really good outfielder, and that she is way behind all the other infielders

It sounds like the coach is being honest about her current skill level - "there are probably players that are better in the middle infield than your daughter's current ability"

However, if she really wants to play in a second position, then she should put in her "personal practice time" to become better at that position.

Don't rely on team practices to have your DD become a better player... that's what EVERYONE else is doing.

If you want to be a better hitter... you need to do your own "year-round homework" and invest in a hitting coach.
If you want to be a better pitcher, you need to do your own "year-round homework" and invest in a pitching coach.
If you want to be a better infielder... you need to do your own "year-round homework" and work on your skills.
So-on and so-on.

If you want to become more amazing... then you must work harder than the other players... during your own personal time… and year-round.

P.S. Maybe your DD could even ask the coach if they could help her "after practice" with becoming the best "back-up" infielder on the team.

“It is easier to blame others than it is to work harder and prove them wrong" Anonymous

Question your response. Seems to neglect what the poster has already said. Coach lied about 2 positions per player. Wont develope player. No infield time. Response?
NO when you join a team when they don't follow through with what they said. That's when the commitment stops.
notthisagain

by anaomip » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:32 am

Sue Trubovitz, Turbo wrote:.
Never stop doing
what you love!

As a six-year-old I started catching. Play Bobby Socks and started travel ball when travel ball started here in Southern California I was about 12. Was the starting catcher for about five years on the original Orange County Batbusters team. When I got to High School a high school coach who had a very strong reputation in softball she coached alongside Phil Bruder on the National Champions Raiders team ( won 18's nationals something like 12 years in a row,) Her name is Colleen Silva. God bless her have learned a lot of tenacity from her. When I tried out for the high school team as a freshman she told me you are not a catcher you are a 3rd baseman. I kind of stared in amazement at her, knowing she was an intelligent woman and great coach. I did think and look at her like
" no I'm a catcher and that's exactly what I am". That season as a freshman I did play Third Base. Outside of that season I had the opportunity to continue catching and I continued catching with the Orange County Bat Buster's. (who by the way was one of Phil Bruder and Colleen Silva's greatest rival team the Raiders) As a sophomore Junior and Senior Year at Edison High School took over the starting catching position and made all conference, all-cif and made Hall of Fame as a catcher at Edison High School. I continued my catching career at Long Beach state again starting catcher and received numerous awards, including being named to the 1986 College World Series First Team as a catcher. After coaching at 'The Beach'
Continued my catching career in womans open travel ball. And became an All-American in travel ball and continue catching till I was 30. In 2009 I was inducted to the Long Beach Hall of Fame. As a catcher.
I have been teaching catching now for 32 years. My first students as catchers started being awarded scholarships 29 years ago and ever since have been.
I am still a catcher.

*Very important to note that in this story Colleen Silva and Phil Bruder were the winningest travel ballcoaches in softball for over a decade!

Sue...Thank you for your response, I sent you a private message if you wouldn't mind starting a dialogue :)
anaomip
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:56 am

Never stop doing
what you love!

I am still a catcher.

Sue- a great lesson here. What I glean from this is that you took your own initiative and honed your skill outside from that coach. It also appears that perhaps for that year-third base was the better choice and it certainly gave you motivation to become better so that you would be come the "catcher" I think it is important as parents to help our children pursue their dreams, but it is also important to be able to differentiate between a dream and a "pipe-dream" Sometimes our bodies can't cash checks our heads write. My advice was not to squash dreams, but to evaluate the situation and see if the coach just might have a point.. As I mentioned, I have seen too many players crash and burn because they stuck with"_________ but this is MY position" instead of following the advice of coaches again, JMO
jonriv

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:54 am

jonriv wrote:
Never stop doing
what you love!

I am still a catcher.

Sue- a great lesson here. What I glean from this is that you took your own initiative and honed your skill outside from that coach. It also appears that perhaps for that year-third base was the better choice and it certainly gave you motivation to become better so that you would be come the "catcher" I think it is important as parents to help our children pursue their dreams, but it is also important to be able to differentiate between a dream and a "pipe-dream" Sometimes our bodies can't cash checks our heads write. My advice was not to squash dreams, but to evaluate the situation and see if the coach just might have a point.. As I mentioned, I have seen too many players crash and burn because they stuck with"_________ but this is MY position" instead of following the advice of coaches again, JMO

Thanku JonRiv,
Yes Sir, took initiative and continued to develop my skills.
I agree with you on paying attention to realistic goals.

As a catcher my entire career it was very few times the coach would say "Go get some fly balls or grounders Turbo." With the same
"initiative to develop skills",
were plenty of times when I would go jump in line before games or at practice to get infield.
Sometimes with my catching gear still on!
Go defense!
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:13 pm

notthisagain wrote:Not just to kick people in the leg, however several feedback in this discussion are assuming the coach has any credentials.
It's a 13 year old. Look how people react. Someone they don't know is telling you something that might be a big decision for your daughter. And they don't even know who's telling you this! They automatically think a first-year 14U coach can make that decision without even giving your daughter a chance to show her skill sets.
Big mistake! That's a fool. Dont be one too. This is travel ball folks. You can play whatever position you want. And you can develop whatever position you want. The original poster has described the situation clearly and has a clear view. What they are being told is by one person who is only seeing their daughter for under a month. As the original poster describe the coach hasn't even seen her play another position nor given her the chance. That's a lousy coach. Who also lied to them from the get-go!
What is the coach's name and what team is it? That might help others opinions. Coaching experience? Who what where?
My opinion is already clear.

Damn Not, your so angry LOL!!!!! Coming from a TB coaches perspective, if I had a quarter for every time over the years I have been told about a parents desire to have their kid play a secondary position that they just could not play...... Well lets just say I'd have a lot of quarters!!!

I'm going to give an example and trust me I have lots of these stories but this one is the most painful. In 2014 I had a team same org I'm with now. There was a dad of a player sort of a team hopper he said if your willing to give my daughter time at 3rd base (she was a right fielder) we will come aboard. I reluctantly said yes, but agreed because she had a great stick. He told me how well she did at 3rd and that the other teams played daddy ball and never gave her a shot at 3rd because their kids played that position. Not the case I tried her out at 3rd, lets just say the kid was a liability at that position, I voiced that to her dad. However, dear old dad didn't want to hear that and if she didn't get time he became a pain in my ass. I know, I know, why didnt I cut him?? Three reasons great stick, great kid, and him telling me to keep my word.... OK so fast forward to Vegas qualifier against a heavily stacked team his daughter at 3rd, ball hit at her not a very hard shot at all to be honest but she turned her glove the wrong way. Result, she left the game crying holding her mouth, later we heard she had broken her jaw......

I learned two lessons that day!! One don't listen to parents that have never played the game and two don't ignore your better judgment to appease a parent. Now, am I against kids playing a secondary position? Not at all as long as they are capable and are not a liability to themselves or others. I do give them the opportunity to try a secondary position at practice, my thoughts are if they can't do it in practice they sure as shit aint gonna do it in the game!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:46 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:
notthisagain wrote:Not just to kick people in the leg, however several feedback in this discussion are assuming the coach has any credentials.
It's a 13 year old. Look how people react. Someone they don't know is telling you something that might be a big decision for your daughter. And they don't even know who's telling you this! They automatically think a first-year 14U coach can make that decision without even giving your daughter a chance to show her skill sets.
Big mistake! That's a fool. Dont be one too. This is travel ball folks. You can play whatever position you want. And you can develop whatever position you want. The original poster has described the situation clearly and has a clear view. What they are being told is by one person who is only seeing their daughter for under a month. As the original poster describe the coach hasn't even seen her play another position nor given her the chance. That's a lousy coach. Who also lied to them from the get-go!
What is the coach's name and what team is it? That might help others opinions. Coaching experience? Who what where?
My opinion is already clear.

Damn Not, your so angry LOL!!!!! Coming from a TB coaches perspective, if I had a quarter for every time over the years I have been told about a parents desire to have their kid play a secondary position that they just could not play...... Well lets just say I'd have a lot of quarters!!!

I'm going to give an example and trust me I have lots of these stories but this one is the most painful. In 2014 I had a team same org I'm with now. There was a dad of a player sort of a team hopper he said if your willing to give my daughter time at 3rd base (she was a right fielder) we will come aboard. I reluctantly said yes, but agreed because she had a great stick. He told me how well she did at 3rd and that the other teams played daddy ball and never gave her a shot at 3rd because their kids played that position. Not the case I tried her out at 3rd, lets just say the kid was a liability at that position, I voiced that to her dad. However, dear old dad didn't want to hear that and if she didn't get time he became a pain in my ass. I know, I know, why didnt I cut him?? Three reasons great stick, great kid, and him telling me to keep my word.... OK so fast forward to Vegas qualifier against a heavily stacked team his daughter at 3rd, ball hit at her not a very hard shot at all to be honest but she turned her glove the wrong way. Result, she left the game crying holding her mouth, later we heard she had broken her jaw......

I learned two lessons that day!! One don't listen to parents that have never played the game and two don't ignore your better judgment to appease a parent. Now, am I against kids playing a secondary position? Not at all as long as they are capable and are not a liability to themselves or others. I do give them the opportunity to try a secondary position at practice, my thoughts are if they can't do it in practice they sure as shit aint gonna do it in the game!!

Got it. You agree players should play a secondary position.
The tone in my post is directed at coaches not following through with what they say.
notthisagain

by anaomip » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:01 pm

Thanks to everyone who gave their input. It was definitely all taken in. Some I agree with, some I dont, and some Im still thinking about. Now I get you all dont know my kid and her capabilities, so its hard to say she should quit infield or she should fight to develop there. Maybe its time to take her to some other coaches and get their opinions. I took a lot of your input and its all greatly appreciated!
anaomip
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions