Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Lefty shortstop

What's on your mind?

by Sbmom2008! » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:51 pm

My daughter is the starting pitcher for her new 12u team. Her secondary position has always been 1B because her old coach said lefties don’t play SS....so starting in 8u she got pigeon holed into that spot. When she attended camps and clinics she would always play SS and do very well because she’s very athletic and has good softball IQ. She doesn’t make a lot of errors. On her previous team, they played just about everyone at SS but her, and most made a lot of errors
The few innings she got, she did very well.

On new team, coach told her she would get a lot of time playing SS when she’s not pitching, and she is, along with an inning of 1B here and there. She’s doing great! Played 6 or 7 games and so far no errors, made her plays, aggressive at the spot and has a technique to make her throws quickly to get outs. It’s all good.

My question is..
Is the coach being realistic developing her there? He really wanted her on the team for pitching, and I think he’s letting her play there because she’s doing fine, but is this realistic long term? Should she be learning outfield? She is sooo excited when she makes good plays at SS, and I want her to have fun, but if/when she leaves this team, aside from pitching will any other coaches play her there? What about HS? Or even college? Is this an outdated rule, athleticism and SB IQ can overcome over long established rules?
Sbmom2008!
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Capone » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:57 am

I've never seen a lefty play short, only catcher, pitcher, first, and outfield. As the game gets faster when they get older, it will take longer for a lefty to field and throw to first.
Capone

by notthisagain » Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:44 pm

Do you think it's realistic eventually she will be a pitcher and a shortstop?
Just sayin' at some point theres a decision there. Hard to think of any teams that have a pitcher who also plays shortstop at competitive levels 14u and up. Do to the extra inherent risk of injuring a starting pitcher. Or resting for games.
notthisagain

by Sbmom2008! » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:00 pm

I really don’t know. She’s very athletic so I would imagine her spots could easily be pitcher, 1B and outfield. She played 1B almost exclusively until she started pitching, I want her to be a well rounded ball player and not just stuck in one position. Maybe she can learn outfield next year when it becomes a more critical position. She’s a good fielder, and bats 3rd on her team right now. But she is 12u, so this stuff will likely change as she gets older.

I think it’s tough to watch her play SS thinking she would be better served playing 1B or OF, but I think the coach likes that she’s happy playing there, she’s doing great, and wants to keep her on the team. No harm in having her play there, just wondering what is realistic or if the lefty/ss rule is outdated.
Sbmom2008!
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:07 pm

What's the big deal. For a few months she plays shortstop. She's in 12u. Get over it. Next season pick a coach that will be more well-rounded . It's not going to matter that much. Chaulk it up to experience at shortstop. Realistically it's unrealistic for someone to be a starting shortstop and starting pitcher. Or a pitcher to be a backup shortstop. That is if she's really serious about pitching.
Not making a life decision here.
Lighten up 12u.
notthisagain

Return to Fastpitch Discussions