Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Earning a spot

What's on your mind?

by Chin Music » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:54 am

Whatever happened to earning a spot? Out hit the person in the spot u want. Out play the person in the spot u want.
If you’re not get the opportunity to do these things move on!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:28 am

I hear you. I certainly agree when it comes to a HS or College team. The only thing that makes it a little different in the travel world(especially the younger age groups) is how much the parents are paying $$$$$$. With that payment I think they are within their rights to want their daughter to play and develop and if they are not to move on to another organization. JMO
jonriv

by notthisagain » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:20 am

Chin Music wrote:Whatever happened to earning a spot? Out hit the person in the spot u want. Out play the person in the spot u want.
jonriv wrote:I hear you. I certainly agree when it comes to a HS or College team. The only thing that makes it a little different in the travel world(especially the younger age groups) is how much the parents are paying $$$$$$. With that payment I think they are within their rights to want their daughter to play and develop and if they are not to move on to another organization. JMO

Everything in a nutshell !
notthisagain

by anaomip » Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:43 am

notthisagain wrote:
Chin Music wrote:Whatever happened to earning a spot? Out hit the person in the spot u want. Out play the person in the spot u want.
jonriv wrote:I hear you. I certainly agree when it comes to a HS or College team. The only thing that makes it a little different in the travel world(especially the younger age groups) is how much the parents are paying $$$$$$. With that payment I think they are within their rights to want their daughter to play and develop and if they are not to move on to another organization. JMO

This is kinda what I was getting at with my post about secondary positions earlier this week. Bottom line is if they arent getting the opportunity to out play, out hit, out run the others in the position they want to play then is it time to move on? And how long do we wait...
anaomip
Premium Member
Premium Member

by notthisagain » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:51 pm

anaomip wrote:
notthisagain wrote:

This is kinda what I was getting at with my post about secondary positions earlier this week. Bottom line is if they arent getting the opportunity to out play, out hit, out run the others in the position they want to play then is it time to move on? And how long do we wait...

How long do you wait...
How much money do you have to keep paying for a situation you dont like?
How much time do you want to waste waiting for no reason?
How many different answers
will be enough to make up your mind for you?
notthisagain

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:19 am

ZAP
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WhoMe » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:59 am

One of the biggest keys with earning a spot or more playing time is communication from the coach at the very beginning. Lay out what role you are taking them on the team for. I hear coaches say I want athletes. Sounds so great but, if you take on 5 kids that think they are SS, you will have 3 that are going to be pissed before the season is done.

Define the roles. I would like to offer you a spot as a 2B and OF to develop. If, at the end of the season, they gripe that they didn't any time at SS it is a simple easy conversation.
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:03 am

Depends on where you play. Upper level teams can have competitions for positions.....carrying 16+ players. All the others are trying to fill their teams. Managers will do what it takes to field those teams....likely carrying 11-13 players. They will rotate in players with very little difference in ability from the starters. This is a great team to be on if you want to play a lot.

So many of the upper tier managers will recruit kids just to keep them from their competitors. Happens a lot in HS as well. Plenty of pitchers could throw every game for the HS they are closest to, but end up never throwing an inning on a supposedly better team.

OBTW: This is a game. Its supposed to be fun. Its not a job.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:02 am

Spazsdad wrote:
Sam wrote:

Yes it should be enjoyable but it could also be looked at a job since you will be paid with your scholarship in larger amounts than any part time gig would garner you. If you took sports out of the equation what would a HS kid potentially earn in a part time job to put towards their education?

Probably not much.....but the parents would put, conservatively, $120K towards a college education (for a pitcher) in savings if they never played TB......and that's a sure thing. Playing TB at a high level gets you a shot at lowering your higher education costs....not even close to a sure thing....and full rides are akin to lightening strikes. It can be fun and it does keep them busy.....but its a risky investment if you are looking for it to pay for your schooling.....and you may injure the kid for life by treating this as a job. JMHO....and I'm not saying you are wrong....I just look at it differently.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:07 am

Sam wrote:Depends on where you play. Upper level teams can have competitions for positions.....carrying 16+ players. All the others are trying to fill their teams. Managers will do what it takes to field those teams....likely carrying 11-13 players. They will rotate in players with very little difference in ability from the starters. This is a great team to be on if you want to play a lot.

So many of the upper tier managers will recruit kids just to keep them from their competitors. Happens a lot in HS as well. Plenty of pitchers could throw every game for the HS they are closest to, but end up never throwing an inning on a supposedly better team.

Outstanding point SAM!!!!
jonriv

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions