Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Earning a spot

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:08 am

Sam wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:
Sam wrote:
OBTW: This is a game. Its supposed to be fun. Its not a job.

Yes it should be enjoyable but it could also be looked at a job since you will be paid with your scholarship in larger amounts than any part time gig would garner you. If you took sports out of the equation what would a HS kid potentially earn in a part time job to put towards their education?

Probably not much.....but the parents would put, conservatively, $120K towards a college education (for a pitcher) in savings if they never played TB......and that's a sure thing. Playing TB at a high level gets you a shot at lowering your higher education costs....not even close to a sure thing....and full rides are akin to lightening strikes. It can be fun and it does keep them busy.....but its a risky investment if you are looking for it to pay for your schooling.....and you may injure the kid for life by treating this as a job. JMHO....and I'm not saying you are wrong....I just look at it differently.

Satan must be getting cold because I am agreeing with Sam twice in one day :D Excellent points Sam- sometimes I think more parents need a dose of reality!
jonriv

by Zoran » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:55 am

Financial investing. What has more value? Putting money away to pay for your kids college and they do nothing while you work and save. Or invest the money in the kid to have to work at something and learn the responsibility to handle getting to college.
Zoran

by jonriv » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:13 am

Zoran wrote:Financial investing. What has more value? Putting money away to pay for your kids college and they do nothing while you work and save. Or invest the money in the kid to have to work at something and learn the responsibility to handle getting to college.

False question because it assumes the two are mutually exclusive.

I am a financial advisor and this is what I did:

I started saving for kids education at birth- investing birth money, birthday money, first communion etc- while also putting aside money each paycheck-investments, 529 etc... At the same time both of my kids has summer and parttime jobs- competed in sports- my daughter played very competitive softball and played DIII at an excellent Business school.

Both of my kids went to very good(and expensive) private Colleges and came out debt free. They both got great jobs and have advanced faster than their peers.

Not saving for college and pouring it into sports in hope of a scholarship is foolish and wasteful- the numbers don't back it. Sports are great and IMO a vital part of an education, but should never be the sole means
jonriv

by Zoran » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:40 am

Have read previously of your occupation. It is a general question to the philosophies of raising children. Cant be a false question as there are many answers.
Zoran

by jonriv » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:22 am

Zoran wrote:Have read previously of your occupation. It is a general question to the philosophies of raising children. Cant be a false question as there are many answers.

It's a false question because it assumes a complete either/or and then ads some(IMO) false assumptions(ie kids whose parents save for college are lazy)

Frankly your "philosophical" musings are purposely polarizing and are derived in fantasy land.

Better to deal in real life, facts, realities so people can learn.

Frankly IMO save early and often for college, make sure your kids are involved in sports and/or performing arts so they can learn discipline, leadership, teamwork, practice habits and how to perform before a crowd and under pressure. They should have some kind of job in HS and College to learn how to work, responsibility and the value of money. If along the way they have the talent and hard work to get a scholarship-great! That money can be put to other uses. It is important to save- that's real world philosphy
jonriv

by Sam » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:32 am

Zoran wrote:Financial investing. What has more value? Putting money away to pay for your kids college and they do nothing while you work and save. Or invest the money in the kid to have to work at something and learn the responsibility to handle getting to college.

Its a straw question, suggesting that these are the only options. It presupposes that the kid will do nothing if they aren't playing softball....which is within the parents' purview. The kid could play different sports each season, play in the band, participate on the chess team, get a job.......etc.

The latter leads one to believe that participation on elite sport teams is the path to "learning responsibility to handle getting into college." The kid could learn this by getting a job or any other participation in a plethora of activities.

Its a choice. The point being that you can choose to put your eggs in a single basket, but if you look at it as an investment in getting free college, the money is not well spent.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Zoran » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:50 pm

Jonriv. Understandable and calculated responses that may lead to common sense for some.
Reading your thought process reminds me how many parents are not calculated or planning. How many have zero interest in their kids activities. Door latch key kids.
No responsibility growing up, don't know how to handle responsibility when grown up.
Zoran

by jonriv » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:31 pm

Zoran wrote:Jonriv. Understandable and calculated responses that may lead to common sense for some.
Reading your thought process reminds me how many parents are not calculated or planning. How many have zero interest in their kids activities. Door latch key kids.
No responsibility growing up, don't know how to handle responsibility when grown up.

That I agree with.

I will leave this thought on investing- every year you do not save/invest/put money away it takes 4 years to recoup

Invest early and often- time can be your friend or your enemy
jonriv

by Zoran » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Yes purposely polarizing.
Zoran

by centurian » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:48 pm

" Frankly your philosophical musings are purposely polarizing and derived from fantasy land"
WTF even an investment advisor cant understand that is a question parents are faced with daily. Well, welcome to fantasy land.
Really get a kick out of HB!
centurian

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions