Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Send a message?

What's on your mind?

by DirtyRiders » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:38 pm

Looking for opinions on if it’s ok to send a message to other team and when it’s ok. Here’s an example. 2 outs with a runner on 2B in a 14u friendly. Girl hits a come backer to pitcher. Pitcher overthrows 1B and runner on 2nd heads for home. RF picks up the ball and fires home. Runner doesn’t slide and proceeds to run over Catcher. Catchers helmet goes flying and runner ends up on top of Catcher. Catcher holds onto the ball so girl is out. The runner does not get ejected, does not check on Catcher, and no one from the dugout checks on Catcher. IMO our manager should have been more animated to protect his player but when everyone realizes Catcher is ok play resumes as nothing happened. Heres my question.....who thinks the 1st pitch to their first batter the next inning should have been drilled in the back? It seems like the game has changed because back in the day that would have been a no brainer
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:49 pm

In a14u softball game? If a coach did that they should be thrown in jail??? Great message to send???? So your answer for poor sportsmanship(if your version of the collision is correct) is to respond with poor sportsmanship? Your the kind of parent that ruins kids sports
jonriv

by DirtyRiders » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:01 pm

JonRiv I respect your opinion. Maybe the post was a little harsh. I was just looking for opinions on how you protect the players today. I was advocating trying to hurt anyone and I apologize if it came off that way. I am not a Coach and none of the kids involved were my daughters. But I do disagree that when a runner barrels over an unprotected catcher that it is not poor sportsmanship...it is a situation where a serious injury could have occurred. So I will ask it another way? If you were the coach how would you have protected that kid?
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Screw ball towards the hip area.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:26 am

DirtyRiders wrote:JonRiv I respect your opinion. Maybe the post was a little harsh. I was just looking for opinions on how you protect the players today. I was advocating trying to hurt anyone and I apologize if it came off that way. I am not a Coach and none of the kids involved were my daughters. But I do disagree that when a runner barrels over an unprotected catcher that it is not poor sportsmanship...it is a situation where a serious injury could have occurred. So I will ask it another way? If you were the coach how would you have protected that kid?

My daughter was involved with a similar incident (also in 14u) several years ago at an ASA tournament in Saugerties NY. She was catching and the runner rammed my daughter old school style to dislodge the ball(my D held on) There was no call by the ump and the UIC was also unresponsive. My DD suffered disc damage and pain for many years(one of the reasons she became an outfielder) I'm not sure how further escalation would have provided any protection? Obviously the rules should have been enforced and the player should have been ejected. I was one of the coaches and I pointed out to the ump(and UIC) in the rule book , but beyond that ordering pitchers to start beaning 13 year old girls- sorry, just makes it worse.
jonriv

by notthisagain » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:32 am

jonriv that sent a message.

DirtyRiders in your story line you said there were two outs. In the Collision the catcher got the 3rd out. The team left the field right. That might account for no umpire involvement if your coach didnt address it. What did your coaches do?
notthisagain

by Chin Music » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Jon, really? Thrown in jail, arrested! That’s funny! Can really tell the parents that didn’t play sports, played a little or played at a high level.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:44 pm

Played sports(lots of them) and certainly know what was acceptable when I played(early 80's) is not now. So chin music you think it is ethical(and/or legal) to ask a minor to throw an object at high velocity at another minor?

It is one thing for adults (ie major league baseball) to go head hunting, setting boundries etc, completely another thing to have an adult in a position of authority(coach) to ask a child to assault another child.

Am I missing anything???

BTW chin if you are questioning my machismo- I spent a decade as an Army Paratrooper and Light Fighter
jonriv

by Chin Music » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:25 pm

I must of missed something. The original post said nothing about a coach instructing a kid to drill someone. If you think players (kids) see these things and don’t take matters into there own hands your mistaken. Seen it many times.
Do I condone a coach telling a kid to drill someone=no.
And I’m sure you’re a macho dude.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by antdog70 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:27 pm

Having played baseball I would not classify this as a breaking fo an unwritten rule. The catcher's coach should have raised hell about the play. That puts everyone on notice that something isn't right with the play at the plate. Don't know if was intentional or not. if not intentional no response needed. If it was intentional a firm fastball to the butt or lower regions is not all that bad. Nothing above the waist. You're not trying to kill someone's kid. Trust me if they don't learn this now, they will definitely learn it at higher levels. Its how the game police's itself. Just my opinion. Yes, I have a daughter who plays. I've taught her the unwritten rules and their repercussions.
antdog70
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions