Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

CRUSH IT !!!

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:46 am

Hitting mindset
CRUSH IT!
"The green light is on!"
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:05 am

Yes yes yes. They are all strikes until they're not. Batting cage mentality. When hitting in the cage the player swings at EVERY pitch. That's the mentality they need to take into the box come game time. Try this experiment. When hitting in the cage, after 6 or 7 pitches, either kick the legs of the machine or shut off wheel purposely unannounced to hitter, throwing the ball way outside or way in the dirt and miraculously they don't swing. Yes yes yes no is much better than let me see the ball and try to decide if its a good pitch.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:24 am

I'm with you crush it swing outta your cleats for every pitch and especially a good first pitch..... Unfortunately that doesn't work for everybody there are some kids that just take a lot of pitches and thats ok too. A grip it and rip approach works for me and hitters like me because I lack patience and just want to hit everything hard. I have girls that play for me that are the same way and I can appreciate that. Then there are those that have patience and take a lot I used to think they were scared to swing but then I realized they have patience. Strangely enough they walk a lot and have long at bats....

So although I agree with you coach I also appreciate the kids that have the discipline to hold off and draw a lot of pitches as a pitcher I hate those batters!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by stonehurler » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:17 pm

My daughter recently discovered long ball on pull pitches. Now she seems to try to pull everything. I like the approach of looking for an outside pitch and knowing what you are going to do with it. If it is inside, just react. Look outside, react inside. Sounds easy to me, but reality is she wants to pull it because of the power. Hard habits to break.
stonehurler
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:59 am

My approach
CRUSH IT !!!
"The green light is on!"

At the younger, developmental stages I strongly agree with this approach - think swing on every pitch. I think that in most cases, you really need to be deliberate and teach young softball (female) players to be aggressive. I'd much rather have to teach an older player who is aggressive at the plate to be more selective than to try and teach a passive player to be aggressive. I would share this aggression first approach in pretty much all phases of the game including base running and fielding and throwing.

Once they get older, it is pretty easy to teach situational hitting and to harness the aggression. We did drills during the off season to increase our hitters plate coverage - which can address a player who falls in love with pulling the ball all the time. In these drills, we would work with the players to expand their swing zone on in and out pitches and be selective on up and down pitches. We rarely cared about strikes and balls, we were more interested in pitches you can hit and pitches you can't. Of course, this is different for each player. We found this approach made us more able to work with a wider variety of swing types and did not put us in the position of having to "change" every hitters swing to meet our preferences. As a coach, this was one way to deal with each player also having a hitting instructor. Of course, every once in a while we had to suggest to a player that they change hitting instructors, but that's another subject.
xyzdude

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:51 am

xyzdude wrote:
My approach
CRUSH IT !!!
"The green light is on!"

At the younger, developmental stages I strongly agree with this approach - think swing on every pitch. I think that in most cases, you really need to be deliberate and teach young softball (female) players to be aggressive. I'd much rather have to teach an older player who is aggressive at the plate to be more selective than to try and teach a passive player to be aggressive. I would share this aggression first approach in pretty much all phases of the game including base running and fielding and throwing.

Once they get older, it is pretty easy to teach situational hitting and to harness the aggression. We did drills during the off season to increase our hitters plate coverage - which can address a player who falls in love with pulling the ball all the time. In these drills, we would work with the players to expand their swing zone on in and out pitches and be selective on up and down pitches. We rarely cared about strikes and balls, we were more interested in pitches you can hit and pitches you can't. Of course, this is different for each player. We found this approach made us more able to work with a wider variety of swing types and did not put us in the position of having to "change" every hitters swing to meet our preferences. As a coach, this was one way to deal with each player also having a hitting instructor. Of course, every once in a while we had to suggest to a player that they change hitting instructors, but that's another subject.

Like your coaching approach to the multiple hitting styles.
"Expand swing zone "
Take that to mean, it is a requirement to be able to hit all pitch locations.

Also like to say ATTACK
Both offensively and defensively.
Attack the ball,
dont be attacked by the ball.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions