https://fortune.com/2016/02/04/women-sports-successful/

This is why women who play sports are more successful
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Defty » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:55 am

NumeroUno wrote:https://fortune.com/2016/02/04/women-sports-successful/

This is why women who play sports are more successful

That's an awesome article we should all share with our girls!!
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:00 am

These statistics have caused me to reflect on my own experience as a young athlete, and specifically the role my parents played. I was a four-sport athlete in high school. I played basketball, softball, tennis, and golf. My true passion was softball, but basketball was an intercollegiate sport. I eventually decided to pursue basketball in college at Purdue and leave the other three sports behind. But my parents never tried to make me pursue just one sport. I loved the variety. I only narrowed to one sport in college when, as a scholarship athlete, it was necessary.

Love this quote. This should be read by coaches of all sports. Let the multi-sport athlete do their thing and don't discourage them when they want to play other sports. I have seen this especially from Soccer coaches.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sbmom2008! » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:12 am

It’s almost impossible to become a multi sport athlete these days. My daughter is only 11 and already at a point where she must choose softball or volleyball because both sports play year round and compete with each other. Where we live, in order to get on a high school team in either sport, most will have been playing on a club team for a few years. It’s not possible to play 2 competitive sports in the same season. Coaches and the other teammates want everyone there all the time. Youth sports is a big business and there is way too much money to be made to have a sport played only 1 or even 2 seasons per year. Where we live, HS VB is played in the fall and SB is played in the spring so logically one could play both, but now because of club sports going year round, it makes it near impossible to compete with someone who plays the sport year round to make the team.

My daughter decided this week she would not tryout for club volleyball so she can focus on softball and pitching in the spring due to the conflicts with the schedule. Softball actually will end this weekend and start up again in mid January where we live. She’s only in 6th grade and her decision is sadly already eliminating any possibility of her playing volleyball in HS. She is playing CYO Basketball this winter, but that doesn’t really conflict with softball since it ends when softball really starts to ramp up in early March. She also plays golf and tennis, but now has it in her head that golf messes up her batting swing because that’s what her coach told her. It’s all so nuts now for kids.

I’d love my daughter to be a multi sport athlete in high school. I just don’t see how it can be possible with such early specialization into one sport. It’s all about the $$$$ now. When parents put collectively put their foot down to year round sports and early specialization, maybe we will get back to playing sports seasonally like they were meant to be played.
Sbmom2008!
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:35 pm

Sbmom2008! wrote:It’s almost impossible to become a multi sport athlete these days. My daughter is only 11 and already at a point where she must choose softball or volleyball because both sports play year round and compete with each other. Where we live, in order to get on a high school team in either sport, most will have been playing on a club team for a few years. It’s not possible to play 2 competitive sports in the same season. Coaches and the other teammates want everyone there all the time. Youth sports is a big business and there is way too much money to be made to have a sport played only 1 or even 2 seasons per year. Where we live, HS VB is played in the fall and SB is played in the spring so logically one could play both, but now because of club sports going year round, it makes it near impossible to compete with someone who plays the sport year round to make the team.

My daughter decided this week she would not tryout for club volleyball so she can focus on softball and pitching in the spring due to the conflicts with the schedule. Softball actually will end this weekend and start up again in mid January where we live. She’s only in 6th grade and her decision is sadly already eliminating any possibility of her playing volleyball in HS. She is playing CYO Basketball this winter, but that doesn’t really conflict with softball since it ends when softball really starts to ramp up in early March. She also plays golf and tennis, but now has it in her head that golf messes up her batting swing because that’s what her coach told her. It’s all so nuts now for kids.

I’d love my daughter to be a multi sport athlete in high school. I just don’t see how it can be possible with such early specialization into one sport. It’s all about the $$$$ now. When parents put collectively put their foot down to year round sports and early specialization, maybe we will get back to playing sports seasonally like they were meant to be played.

Don't believe the coach when they say it messes up their swing. They say that to get them full time for the sport they are coaching. Also keep playing golf since there are more scholarships available for golfers then softball.

As far as playing multiple sports and not supporting early specialization, I would have her play rec level in whatever second sport it is to at least keep up the skills and support the local community.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:49 pm

Rowing: http://www.scholarshipstats.com/ncaalimits.html

[add] I was surprised to see more softball scholarships (12) are allowed than baseball (11.7).

The summary page spells it out: http://www.scholarshipstats.com/totalscholarships.html
More softball scholarships are available than golf. Rowing is way down the list.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by eclipse09 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:08 pm

Spazsdad wrote:“there are more scholarships available for golfers than softball”
Do you any links to support this statement? Golf teams are usually pretty small, around 8 or less vs the 12 scholarships for softball

My bad. I did not check the numbers. Thanks to Crabby the links!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions