Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

No deal breaker?

What's on your mind?

by Defty » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:28 pm

I think that speaking to your kid is a good point to bring up. Where some people might be able to say that they just didn't bring up that they do actually speak to their daughters before a decision is made, a lot of people are at fault for not asking first I'm sure. Also, a lot of decisions get made in the heat of the moment and people make poor decisions when they are worked up.

Also, although I believe that our daughters having fun is important, are we asking them if having fun is their main or only goal? When I talk to all of my kids I discuss the impact that their decisions have on multiple facets of their lives. Is going to softball on a scholarship a goal of theirs? Do they understand that a D1 scholarship is a long shot for many? Do they understand that college is expensive and that maybe mom and dad don't have the ability to pay for it? Do they know the impact that student loans will have on their lives in the future? Do they even want to go to college? Do they even want to play sports? Maybe they don't want to play on a team that is going no where. Maybe I don't want to sit their and watch them play on a team that is going no where.

Having solid communication with your kids will help you to see their side of things and visa versa (obviously). If you believe that kids should have the final say in all things then good luck blending their kale smoothies and doing their laundry when they're 30. If you don't seek their input then have fun visiting their rebellious butts in jail when they turn 18, or likely way before that.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Zoran » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:55 pm

Sam wrote:
-This is playing, but doesnt seem
growth oriented to a higher goal.
How long or to what age do you keep paying for something that once in high school is the equivalent level?

About the comment of people not mentioning what their kids like. There's plenty of feedback on the parental side of the discussion in other postings. That question being, Do you put your kid in a place where they are settling in with everything average. Or do you put them in a place where they have to earn their place?

Those questions may be the
root of what makes a deal breaker.

So....this is exactly what I was talking about. Whose goal? Your DD's goal? or your goal?

Average teams play elite teams all the time.....elite teams NEVER have to face their own pitchers. It's a fallacy that kids from average teams can't compete or are less likely to succeed in playing in college. I had kids in the Big Ten, Pac12, Big 8, etc. Not bragging.....only making a point that actually playing a lot is importantt.

Without question parenting goals differ. Do agree conversation with the kid important.

To your comment about the elite teams not ever facing their own pitchers. No that's because they are facing the other elite pitchers. Plus learning how to pitch against top batters. Paying attention to what's happening in travel ball there is a separation clearly happening in the past two years of top-tier teams staying in their own venues together. Would question your comment about playing asa or usssa or afa and those players / pitchers making it to D1, because the separation of team talent has become greater in recent years. Talent level separation that is.
Hence the emergence of USA preps in Southern California. Top premier teams generally are not going to that. Fc rico, Mercado, bb stith, xcetera,
do not go do that.
Add all the different National venues. And the separation between pgf Premier and platinum is visually enough to tell us there is a difference in talent levels and who faces who.

Can anyone image if the top 20 teams in 16u and 18u didn't do pgf and instead went out to win Nationals in asa, usssa or afa? that would be a 20 + runs per game.
mercy rule in affect at a nationals.

I strongly disagree that the massive amount of average and below-average teams get the opportunity to play against top Elite teams reguelarly.
Simple debate would be the top Elite teams would not grow their talent playing against sloppy teams that are not a challenge.
Elite teams want a challenge and are invited to upper level events that most will never see.

Recent years have had change.

While certainly there may be outstanding D1 players that may be on average teams across the board, and get recruited. That is extremely smaller percentage than the larger percentage of D1 players that are showcasing in the appropriate talent level showcases and tournaments. That is where the upper level coaches are attending.
Zoran

by Sam » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:08 pm

There was no Premier when I coached TB. ASA was it.

Your examples are 18G teams. Not relevant to the discussion. We are substantially referring to 10U thru 14U (since 16U has become somewhat unimportant).
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Zoran » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:12 pm

Sam wrote:There was no Premier when I coached TB. ASA was it.

Your examples are 18G teams. Not relevant to the discussion. We are substantially referring to 10U thru 14U (since 16U has become somewhat unimportant).

Good point. You are not used to all the
different tournament & showcasing options now.

What i said applys
to 12u & 14u also. Just not many Elite invites....yet. 14u really stsrts seperating the crowd. Example, there is 14u IDT and others.
Another debatable point would be who gets to play on the best fields at the different tournaments. Generally the top teams do.

It is relevant as you were speaking to the recruitment of players.

16u not important.
NO THATS WRONG.
16u the recruitment door opens!
Zoran

by eclipse09 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:20 pm

Spazsdad wrote:The discussion regarding scholarships has to be two different topics based on who and where you play. Some say it’s a long shot and shouldn’t be counted on but there are situations where that is completely opposite
Obviously your results may vary

Totally agree. There are tons of options at lower level college programs that let a player focus on studies and get a chance to play the best sport ever.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Zoran » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:38 pm

eclipse09 wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:The discussion regarding scholarships has to be two different topics based on who and where you play. Some say it’s a long shot and shouldn’t be counted on but there are situations where that is completely opposite

Totally agree. There are tons of options at lower level college programs that let a player focus on studies and get a chance to play the best sport ever.

All of the previous points and these absolutely validate the different reasonings behind families discicions.
There are more options now
for different types of players
and goals. Which lead to different reasons why people stay or choose to leave a team.
Zoran

by eclipse09 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:05 pm

Zoran wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:

All of the previous points and these absolutely validate the different reasonings behind families discicions.
There are more options now
for different types of players
and goals. Which lead to different reasons why people stay or choose to leave a team.

To be honest for us it was more her decision than a family decision. I brought her to tryouts for her first team (12u then 14u) then she basically chose from there. I told her I would pay for travel as long as she wants to play the game. It didn't matter if she played in college or not. It was a little selfish on my part as I love the sport and cherished our time together. Plus don't we want our kid to do awesome in high school. ;)

Luckily she still loved playing into 16u and 18u then the choice to play in college was easy.

Please note my kid did hitting and pitching lessons willingly and worked on her game with me and without me. Having that drive and love of the game kept her reaching her goals.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Obviously I would ask the kid before switching teams and she would get final day on which team she switched to. Usually she would even ask to leave her team around Thanksgiving in the years that she switched.
The girls on the handful of elite teams in So Cal all seem to know each other anyway and now that shes in 9th grade she knows what girls she wants as teammates and what coaches she doesnt want to play for
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:12 am

Zoran wrote:
Sam wrote:There was no Premier when I coached TB. ASA was it.

Good point. You are not used to all the
different tournament & showcasing options now.

What i said applys
to 12u & 14u also. Just not many Elite invites....yet. 14u really stsrts seperating the crowd. Example, there is 14u IDT and others.
Another debatable point would be who gets to play on the best fields at the different tournaments. Generally the top teams do.

It is relevant as you were speaking to the recruitment of players.

16u not important.
NO THATS WRONG.
16u the recruitment door opens!

16U is the poor man's 18G isn't it? 16U teams don't really like playing 14U teams because they get beat lots of times. Maybe it's different nowadays.....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions