Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

We are a team, and we're doing this as a team!

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:09 am

How does your team grow
and develop camaraderie and sportsmanship?
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:13 am

My daughter graduated college in 2015. To this day she still hangs out with teammates that graduated 2012-2018. Now there are get togethers, weddings :o etc..........

Learning to act as a team, cooperate, depend on each other is one of the most valuable lessons from playing sports
jonriv

by Backnine » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:23 am

On a long game break or after the last game there always seems to be someone(HC's wife usually) that want everybody to go eat at (fill in the blank ). She on the phone making reservations, trying to get head count blah blah blah. IT is Sunday afternoon and I just want to go home, get in the pool and BBQ. We have spent enough time together. See you next week. Bye.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:26 pm

I think that camaraderie among players as well as parents can play a major role in the success or failure of a team. There have been many teams put together with a ton of top talent that just can't get it done at the end of the season because, among other reasons, A) they never learned to work together or B) the players burn out because they dread showing up.

If the players look forward to being at games, practices, events, etc. I believe it can stay off some of the impending burnout because it won't always feel like a chore being there. And if the parents are content there is a good chance that there is less tension and bickering among them that would inevitably find its way to the players. As we all know, far too often parents complain to their daughters about how so and so doesn't deserve to be playing in a certain position, or how the coach is a bonehead.

As Backnine has expressed, hanging out after a long weekend isn't for everyone. Some families have more on their plates then others (i.e. more kids, an earlier Monday morning work schedule, a 2nd job, family events, etc.), and some people are just anti-social. If you aren't the type of person that can/wants to participate in the extracurriculars, it might help to let people know that you "have too much going on" and then maybe try to fit something in every now and then. It might prove to be a helpful way to contribute towards building a cohesive and happy squad.
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:20 pm

ZAP
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Zoran » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:10 am

Keep team together coaching decision that can bond players quicker. Useful tool with new teams each season. Helps break up clicks. Draws out shy personalities. Less issue's with players getting distracted between games.
Zoran

by Schmick » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:29 pm

Take away their cell phones.
The girls on my kids team split in 8 different directions during game breaks .and all of then have their faces buried in their phones. Even when I go in to the kids room when she has her friends over, each one of them has her face in their phone.

I tell her over and over that when youre in someones presence and still looking at social media, youre telling the present person that you dont feel that theyre as important as the people youre not with and may not even know.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:43 am

ZAP
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by centurian » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:32 am

Defty wrote:I think that camaraderie among players as well as parents can play a major role in the success or failure of a team. There have been many teams put together with a ton of top talent that just can't get it done at the end of the season because, among other reasons, A) they never learned to work together or B) the players burn out because they dread showing up.

If the players look forward to being at games, practices, events, etc. I believe it can stay off some of the impending burnout because it won't always feel like a chore being there. And if the parents are content there is a good chance that there is less tension and bickering among them that would inevitably find its way to the players. As we all know, far too often parents complain to their daughters about how so and so doesn't deserve to be playing in a certain position, or how the coach is a bonehead.

As Backnine has expressed, hanging out after a long weekend isn't for everyone. Some families have more on their plates then others it, .e. more kids, an earlier Monday morning work schedule, a 2nd job, family events, etc.), and some people are just anti-social. If you aren't the type of person that can/wants to participate in the extracurriculars, it might help to let people know that you "have too much going on" and then maybe try to fit something in every now and then. It might prove to be a helpful way to contribute towards building a cohesive and happy squad.

See this happen also. Teams who have talent. Cant get it done. Team self destructs. Ditto coaching responsibilty. Someone needs to address problems. Resolve issues right away. Befor people dont want to show up. Worst scenario coach blind to it & no backbone. Listening to sports talk radio show heard a coach say he wouldn't let his players leave the field with unresolved issues. Ditto that.
Our home we dont go to bed angry. Takes a team to play like a team.
centurian

by xyzdude » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:45 am

Don't you think that this is somewhat age related? At the earlier ages, team chemistry and bonding can be much more important in creating the fun and exciting atmosphere in which young people seem to thrive. But having fun doesn't always equate to winning it simply helps the environment be conducive to learning and development which can lead to winning. I've seen many teams at the younger ages be quite dysfunctional and still win a lot often because they have a dominant pitcher and enough offense to score a few runs. There are some teams that just seem to click. I would submit that those teams have a mix of talent, hard working players, nice parents who are comfortable with the coaching, and good coaching.

At the older ages when college recruiting comes into play, team chemistry often comes down to meeting the expectations of the player/parent when it comes to getting exposure to college coaches. A good team is one where those expectations are discussed ahead of time and the playing time philosophy is transparent and well known when you join the team.

I also believe that at the older ages, it is important for players, especially girls, to be pushed out of their comfort zone to some degree. They have to be taught to encounter new experiences and given the ability to join teams where they may not know anyone beforehand. I think that boys and girls relate very differently to these types of challenges and girls actually need to be taught at times that it is okay to not be best friends with all of their teammates and that they can play well and respect the playing ability of others even if they don't have much in common and are not going to be good friends. This is life and a particular area where it seems to me boys and girls have different natures (in general). This may not be PC to say - but in my experience it is true; I saw it with my daughters and with many of the players that I coached over the years.
xyzdude

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions