Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

We are a team, and we're doing this as a team!

What's on your mind?

by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:04 pm

ZAP
Last edited by Sue Trubovitz, Turbo on Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sue Trubovitz, Turbo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:42 pm

What do people think? Starts with parents?
Or starts with role of the coach? Brings up a good question. Do the parents and the coach need to concur on the plan to reach the team goal of camaraderie and sportsmanship?! In either case, like coaches who make camaraderie and sportsmanship part of the team structure.

On the teams that I coached sportsmanship was not a goal - it was an expectation and something that I demanded from players and parents. My ability to demand a level of behavior (and enforce it) was something that developed over the years and as typical, I learned from a few unfortunate experiences along the way.

One little pet peeve - my teams always practiced at some point, how to line up and receive a trophy (because we expected to be there on Sundays and because we practiced everything). One of the things that I was adamant about was making sure that our players shook hands with the trophy presenter and then crossed the field to shake the hand of the opposing coach. We also worked on the players looking the adults in the eye and saying "thank you". Some on this forum complain about "old school" coaches, but this is something that is sadly often missing in the game today.
xyzdude

by Defty » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:23 am

xyzdude wrote:
Or starts with role of the coach? Brings up a good question. Do the parents and the coach need to concur on the plan to reach the team goal of camaraderie and sportsmanship?! In either case, like coaches who make camaraderie and sportsmanship part of the team structure.

On the teams that I coached sportsmanship was not a goal - it was an expectation and something that I demanded from players and parents. My ability to demand a level of behavior (and enforce it) was something that developed over the years and as typical, I learned from a few unfortunate experiences along the way.

One little pet peeve - my teams always practiced at some point, how to line up and receive a trophy (because we expected to be there on Sundays and because we practiced everything). One of the things that I was adamant about was making sure that our players shook hands with the trophy presenter and then crossed the field to shake the hand of the opposing coach. We also worked on the players looking the adults in the eye and saying "thank you". Some on this forum complain about "old school" coaches, but this is something that is sadly often missing in the game today.

It is not old school coaches that are the problem. It is old school coaches that don't take the time to learn new information as well. Kinda like how I have clarified this to you multiple times but you fail to comprehend. You are dense.

And practicing how to receive trophies... wtf?
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:08 am

It is not old school coaches that are the problem. It is old school coaches that don't take the time to learn new information as well. Kinda like how I have clarified this to you multiple times but you fail to comprehend. You are dense.

What's new about a young person learning to communicate effectively with an adult? What's new with a team learning to be gracious winners and losers?

What's not new is you and your clichéd response to any information that does not play into your agenda and your continued effort to commoditize sports to fit your consumerist approach to it. If that is "the new attitude" you are right - I'm not too interested in going there. That being said - I'd still coach circles around you.
xyzdude

by Schmick » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Just win baby

I couldnt give half crap if my kid shook hands with opposing players, theyre the opponent, not your friend theyre trying to take from you what is yours and you need to play with fire in your stomach and hate in your heart.

I want my kid on a team whose coach will make them a fiercer competitor and gets the team to win, win, win
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:52 am

Schmick wrote:Just win baby

I couldnt give half crap if my kid shook hands with opposing players, theyre the opponent, not your friend theyre trying to take from you what is yours and you need to play with fire in your stomach and hate in your heart.

I want my kid on a team whose coach will make them a fiercer competitor and gets the team to win, win, win

I am very glad you never coached my daughter. Yes, it is important to be competitive and have drive on the field. It is also as important to learn humility, respect and dignity off the field. Especially respect and manners towards coaches and umpires. These are lessons that go a long way in real life and frankly by not teaching and expecting it you are being less of a coach and are short-changing your players. Players should not like losing, but they need to be respectful and gracious when they lose(an also when they win) "Just win baby" is great, but only when done the right way

jonriv

by jonriv » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:56 am

Defty wrote:
xyzdude wrote:

Much better to have them act like the Bad News Bearsat the end(in the original)

jonriv

by xyzdude » Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:05 pm

Just win baby

I prefer the cool, calm competitor who can smile at you while she is stabbing you in the heart (figuratively). I also figured that it was part of my job to help them not only learn aggression (controlled of course) but how to interact with teammates and adults so maybe they would excel in all parts of their life. But, hey that's just me...
xyzdude

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions