Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Non-parent coach vs Parent coach

What's on your mind?

by bigclemdawg » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:02 pm

Sam wrote:As a point of reference, I was wondering about the coaching experience of folks who post here. Trying to assign relative credibility of the posters. I know about Spaz's experience.

OBTW: Are Zoran and Centurian the same poster? Similar writing styles.

i coached a 6u bronze team back in my hay day. does that count?
bigclemdawg
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:11 am

curveballerguy124 wrote:Sooooo, what was the general consensus??? Do people prefer a non-parent coach over a parent coach?!?!?

Parent-coaches are the back bone of all kid's sports- it seems where most get their start. There would not be youth sports without them-period. It is also a tough spot for many coaches because it's a tough to tell where the line between coaching and parenting is. I have seen coaches that overtly favor their kid and those that go out of their way to not show favoritism- neither which is always best for the kid.

My own experience has been that non-parent coaches were the best coaches my DD. There was no perception of child-preference and the coaches were better able to focus on players abilities IMO

also(my two cents) I would defer to the experience of Sam and Spaz on coaching and softball in general- I have read them for years and would listen to them before these other wannabe clowns. JMO These other guys just seem to be what we use to call in the Army- REMFs
jonriv

by WhoMe » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:11 pm

I think we should have coaches for parents, they have a lot to learn too just like their daughters :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, this topic is silly because it tries to pigeon hole based on things that are mutually exclusive. Marty Tyson coached his daughter and I think their teams did pretty darn well. I think when one of the big selling points is "No parent coaches, no daddy ball here" then you better be pretty dang good on the field. Unfortunately that isn't the case. I can't tell you how many times I have faced "No parent coaches, no daddy ball here" and was shocked at what the players did not know.

Simple question you ask, is the coach a good coach? Do they know the game? Can they teach at a high enough level to help your daughter progress? Do they have any clue about recruiting?
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:18 pm

WhoMe wrote:I think we should have coaches for parents, they have a lot to learn too just like their daughters :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, this topic is silly because it tries to pigeon hole based on things that are mutually exclusive. Marty Tyson coached his daughter and I think their teams did pretty darn well. I think when one of the big selling points is "No parent coaches, no daddy ball here" then you better be pretty dang good on the field. Unfortunately that isn't the case. I can't tell you how many times I have faced "No parent coaches, no daddy ball here" and was shocked at what the players did not know.

Simple question you ask, is the coach a good coach? Do they know the game? Can they teach at a high enough level to help your daughter progress? Do they have any clue about recruiting?

So....about 99.9% of the coaches out there have coached their kids at one point or another. I'll bet Marty would tell you that he still got accused of exercising daddy ball even though his kids were excellent players.

The questions you post are excellent.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by GIMNEPIWO » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:18 am

Battle wrote:
Sam wrote:My favorites were always my best players. They could play, they hustled, they picked up equipment after practice/games, dragged the field, sat by me in the dugout when they weren't on the field trying to learn the game. They listened and tried to implement what I was trying to teach them.

It is much easier for a non-parent coach to deal with disgruntled parents, since their main weapon has been disabled. HS parents are the absolute worst.

Yep...I think most coaches feel that way. I believe all coaches have favorites and it's usually because of things that you mentioned.

Disagree ... My favorites were always the kids who were late to practice but walked from the parking lot to the field, then took 10 minutes to put on their cleats and put up their hair ... The ones who complained they weren't in the line up, would accept an offer for the extra work they needed and then not show up early or stay late to get it ... The ones that wore yoga pants and a t-shirt to a practice when the temps were in the 40's and then complained they were cold for the next 2 hours ... The ones who refused to hydrate properly so they would have plenty of time to complain about their cramps ... The ones who blamed their gloves, parents, coaches or team mates for everything they did ...
"For the strength of the pack is the wolf, the strength of the wolf is the pack" Rudyard Kipling
GIMNEPIWO

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions