Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Sooo about the new pitching rule?!?!?

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:36 pm

So I thought I understood the rule correctly but apparently its different for each governing body.... So rule 6A, section 1C & 1E from what I understood from the comment section was: 1C " Allows female pitchers to start with one or two feet on the pitcher's plate. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to foot placement" and 1E "Allows female pitchers to take a backward step from the pitchersplate, before, during or after the hands are brought together. This aligns the male and female pitching rules as it relates to stepping back from the pitcher's plate".....

This is USA pitching rule change for 2020 so basically it allows female pitchers to do what guys have been doing for years.....I say its about time but are all governing body's going to comply???? Because I read some will allow the start back but only USA and NFHS is allowing the step back???? Does anybody know about PGF or TCS will they allow the rule as written??
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:00 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:So I thought I understood the rule correctly but apparently its different for each governing body.... So rule 6A, section 1C & 1E from what I understood from the comment section was: 1C " Allows female pitchers to start with one or two feet on the pitcher's plate. This aligns the male and female pitching rule as it relates to foot placement" and 1E "Allows female pitchers to take a backward step from the pitchersplate, before, during or after the hands are brought together. This aligns the male and female pitching rules as it relates to stepping back from the pitcher's plate".....

This is USA pitching rule change for 2020 so basically it allows female pitchers to do what guys have been doing for years.....I say its about time but are all governing body's going to comply???? Because I read some will allow the start back but only USA and NFHS is allowing the step back???? Does anybody know about PGF or TCS will they allow the rule as written??

So overdue.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:09 pm

I did some digging and it looks like PGF and NCAA will have the start back rule with USA/NFHS will have the step back rule. Still not clear on all the fine points. Also curious about the pros or maybe cons on the rules.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:53 pm

eclipse09 wrote:I did some digging and it looks like PGF and NCAA will have the start back rule with USA/NFHS will have the step back rule. Still not clear on all the fine points. Also curious about the pros or maybe cons on the rules.

Both ways have different implications. There is an advantage in some instances but in other cases it makes no difference at all. For instance step back is a huge advantage if you have a rock back kind of load to begin with, the start back not so much..... So think Monica Abbott would not benefit from this as much as say Cat Osterman or Rachel Garcia would. Step back is less tiring its easier to throw that way for longer periods of time. Advantage because you really get to use both your legs to drive and build momentum. Again though it depends and what your load looks like.

So PGF will be start back???
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:43 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:
eclipse09 wrote:I did some digging and it looks like PGF and NCAA will have the start back rule with USA/NFHS will have the step back rule. Still not clear on all the fine points. Also curious about the pros or maybe cons on the rules.

Both ways have different implications. There is an advantage in some instances but in other cases it makes no difference at all. For instance step back is a huge advantage if you have a rock back kind of load to begin with, the start back not so much..... So think Monica Abbott would not benefit from this as much as say Cat Osterman or Rachel Garcia would. Step back is less tiring its easier to throw that way for longer periods of time. Advantage because you really get to use both your legs to drive and build momentum. Again though it depends and what your load looks like.

So PGF will be start back???

Ok thanks! My kid pitches in a Div III school, but always learned both feet on the rubber. I am guessing the start back will not be a big adjustment.

I saw a video online that put PGF and NCAA together, but not confirmed. I am sure we will get the straight scoop soon as spring is around the corner.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:41 am

***UPDATE***

For anyone interested I got confirmation, NCAA & PGF will be for sure be implementing the start back rule..... USA, TCS, and USSSA will allow step back......
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions