Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Buckets and Signs

What's on your mind?

by jtat32 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:26 pm

Have your assistant coach stand next to you and do fake hand signals - nobody will pay attention to you dropping fingers on your bucket.
jtat32
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:10 pm

Sam wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:
Sam wrote:
Sbmom2008! wrote:Why should arm bands be illegal?

Because they are not part of every player's uniform, nor are they a glove nor protective gear.

But an argument can be made for them as a sweat band, that conveniently has signs on it.........

Its tacit admission that the players and coaches are too stupid to come up with a normal sign protocol.

Damn, I guess I'm stupid for wanting to make shit easier on myself..... Bit harsh but OK if that's how you feel keep tappin away at your head, wrist, nose, ears, hat, knees, balls, whatever to try and elude the team sign stealer on the other side. Meanwhile I will call out my signs with blatant disregard because unless they have David Blain on their team my signs are as safe as the day is long!!!
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:03 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:
Sam wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:
Sam wrote:
Sbmom2008! wrote:Why should arm bands be illegal?

Because they are not part of every player's uniform, nor are they a glove nor protective gear.

But an argument can be made for them as a sweat band, that conveniently has signs on it.........

Its tacit admission that the players and coaches are too stupid to come up with a normal sign protocol.

Damn, I guess I'm stupid for wanting to make shit easier on myself..... Bit harsh but OK if that's how you feel keep tappin away at your head, wrist, nose, ears, hat, knees, balls, whatever to try and elude the team sign stealer on the other side. Meanwhile I will call out my signs with blatant disregard because unless they have David Blain on their team my signs are as safe as the day is long!!!

So we have hot bats because hitters couldn't hit with normal bats.....but hitters improved.....and we still have hot bats......pitchers are being injured by batted balls and overuse.....giving signs is too hard....so we have forearm pads.....the next obvious solution is pitching machines controlled by "coaches".......and then maybe we can just have the players do everything virtually on their phones.....no injuries....no thinking....no nothing.

I would choose to actively continue actual coaching and game strategy. Your choice is yours.

Some "improvements" to the game make it much less attractive.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:54 am

Some coaches who use the wrist bands are easier to "pick" because of their confidence in knowing that no one is going to know their pitch calls they fall into easily recognizable patterns. Some hitters with coaching assistance can become pretty proficient in "guessing" which pitch is coming - I think that has always been and always will be a part of hitting.

I had an assistant coach (college player) who was the best sign picker I've ever seen. She would know the other teams pitch calls usually by the second inning if not earlier. We then put in an elaborate system to communicate this to the hitters. After a few weeks of this, I stopped doing that because I felt that it was too much information for the hitter to absorb and use in the time period. Then we just let the hitter know when an off-speed pitch was coming and used that information for help in our running game as well. So the next question is, how much information to the hitter is too much?
xyzdude

by curveballerguy124 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:16 pm

xyzdude wrote:

Some coaches who use the wrist bands are easier to "pick" because of their confidence in knowing that no one is going to know their pitch calls they fall into easily recognizable patterns. Some hitters with coaching assistance can become pretty proficient in "guessing" which pitch is coming - I think that has always been and always will be a part of hitting.

I had an assistant coach (college player) who was the best sign picker I've ever seen. She would know the other teams pitch calls usually by the second inning if not earlier. We then put in an elaborate system to communicate this to the hitters. After a few weeks of this, I stopped doing that because I felt that it was too much information for the hitter to absorb and use in the time period. Then we just let the hitter know when an off-speed pitch was coming and used that information for help in our running game as well. So the next question is, how much information to the hitter is too much?

Here's the thing I come from the men's game like most of you know and the biggest difference I see. Is in the men's game batters pick the pitcher and believe me when I tell you the slightest thing you do as a pitcher gets picked by these guys. Male pitchers for the most part are pretty hard to pick because they almost never change their motion from pitch to pitch and they hide their hand in the glove with the ball for as long as possible.

Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for female pitchers not all of course but a large majority of them change their movement from pitch to pitch. Some do not conceal their grips very well and others have obvious tells so they are easy to pick for the most part. I try and teach my girls to pick up on this sort of thing but at the end of the day you just want them picking up the ball out of the hand and timing it right.

So to answer that question there is no such thing as too much information given to the batter in my opinion.
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by diamondjunkee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:48 am

Sign stealing is part of the game. Any method has vulnerabilities and every coach should know this by the time they start coaching.

Coaches should have 2 sets of signs. It's not that complicated and opposing coaches will not have time to decode 2 sets during a game.
diamondjunkee

by Sbmom2008! » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:34 pm

So what you are saying is it’s easier for coaches to pick off wristband calls vs hand signs because they become predictable? So if they say 1-2-1 then 3-2-4, you will figure out these pitches?
Sbmom2008!
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sbmom2008! » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:35 pm

Meaning, they call 2 fastball...then a change...over and over? Even tho they change the numeric code for the same pitch?
Sbmom2008!
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions