Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Drills!!!

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:13 pm

So lately I have been giving lessons at a heavily used park, the lighting is great and it is centrally located the downside to that is its pretty crowded all the time. Since I give lessons at such a public place with lots of softball kids the question, “what are some good pitching drills” gets asked to me quite a bit. My response is generally the same every time what are you trying to fix or what are you trying to accomplish?

Now the reason I ask that question is because I am a firm believer that drills shouldn’t be used to teach someone how to pitch or even as part of your daily/weekly pitching regimen. Drills to me are a means to an end....

So even though YouTube is filled with tons of drills on pitching, some good some bad. Know why you are doing a particular drill and use it until you have fixed your issue whatever it is. Just don’t do something because it seems like a good idea often times it could create problems or issues where there weren’t any to begin with, this is just my .02
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:00 am

What do think of playing long toss underhanded?
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sftblldad25 » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:24 pm

From what I hear, underhand long toss is a great drill/exercise for pitchers to strengthen their arm and gain speed...but what do I know? I'm not a coach, I didn't play, didn't stay at a Holiday Inn, and definitely not a YouTube coach!
sftblldad25
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:24 pm

I like long toss because you are not isolating anything..... Its great to air out your throws from time to time because you get a good understanding on how to use your legs.
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions