Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Corona Virus

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:09 am

Spazsdad wrote:The elephant in the room is I bet a majority of these players could care less about getting their year back.
This whole thing is being blown beyond out of proportion. The numbers just do not support the hysteria. We lose many more people to other things every day and nobody bats an eye. All of a sudden 40 deaths, 21 from one nursing home, and it’s the end of times.
Excuse me while I go buy some more TP

The numbers are deceiving because the needed testing has not reached levels it needs to be yet. The lesson from Italy is that this led to unknown spreading and then they got blind sided. As mentioned before their health system is overwhelmed. The Chinese travel ban bought us time and so will the Euro ban. These other shutdowns should also help.

I agree there is a bit of hysteria and it’s being fanned by the media. However, minimizing the problem can be even more dangerous.

I work at a financial institution and we have several contingencies in place and are anticipating a possible shutdown (partial or whole) either based on a local quarantine or just we might have a critical number of employees home sick. The advice to employees was the obvious washing hands etc, repeatedly cleaning work areas. Letting customer take pens that they use. If you are sick stay home. We have also limited client visits and social business events. Staff was also advised to have adequate food and supplies available at home in case of some kind of shutdown. The local public school shutdown has already put a struggle on staff with childcare issues

Again, the numbers will get worse before they get better
jonriv

by jonriv » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:14 am

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.provid ... ate=ampart

This is why they shut things down. Kids gets an autograph, gets the virus- who else did they have contact with? How many over 60? The kid will be fine, but did he have contact with Grandma and Grandpa?

I love softball, I love sports- in fact I love going to restaurants and bars, but it is going to make sense to take a break from all of them until this passes

It sucks and I feel bad for the athletes, but I feel worse that people might wind up in an ICU(or worse there is no room an Drs have to make some nasty triage decisions- like Italy)
jonriv

by anywhoo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:04 pm

Are you all finding that travel teams have shut down too? My DDs team is still practicing. I’ve heard other teams have shut down. Got an email this weekend that Jen Schro is still going full force and extending her hours. Are other facilities still open? At what cost? Schools are closed to limit exposure. Practice, lessons, and workouts seems to defeat the purpose.

Thoughts?
anywhoo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:40 am

I’m sure the facilities will be closing down soon in most areas. Frankly, holding workouts like that seems very irresponsible at this point.
jonriv

by eclipse09 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:57 pm

jonriv wrote:I’m sure the facilities will be closing down soon in most areas. Frankly, holding workouts like that seems very irresponsible at this point.

Agree. Most tournaments, showcases and friendlies have way too many people and don't even come close to adhering to the social distancing requirements. I think most players should focus on solo workouts at home or in their local area since games won't be played for awhile.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by anywhoo » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:59 pm

Our travel team just shut down today, for a week. STC, EM, Veritas has shut down. Jen Schro is still open and extending her catching hours even more. When is enough enough? Parents need to stop feeding into this and put their daughters health first and I wish coaches and business owners would do the right thing.
anywhoo
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:11 am

I suspect there will actually be significant benefits from this CV experience. I've been saying for years that if SoCal businesses were given incentives to allow people to work from home it would have a significant impact on SoCal freeway congestion. I'm guessing that a significant number of jobs/positions that previously didn't allow working from home will continue to work from home when this ends. Consider the smog days that we had 40 years ago in SoCal. Looking back 40 years later those days may be the worst air quality time in the history of L.A. 40 years from now people may look at SoCal freeway congestion the same way. 2 months ago may be the worst freeway congestion in the history of L.A.

I also suspect that when this is over that a significant number of businesses will see that employees working from home actually saves them enough money that they now very much prefer to not have to provide office space, office supplies, etc.

20 years ago we had 2 elementary school kids and my wife and I both worked. We paid $460/month per kid for after school day care provided by the YMCA and had a $300K mortgage. If one of us had been working from home we would have picked up the kids at the end of the school day and brought them home and we would have had $920 more per month (after taxes). I'm pretty sure that would have made a significant difference to us. Transportation costs would have gone down with the reduction in miles from working from home.

Finally, I'm now 61 1/2 years old. My new mantras are protect the elderly/seniors, help out the seniors. I now use those phrases instead of Hi/Good bye. My wife will hear those phrases so much from me in the next year that she'll start thinking her name is Help the Seniors Squirrel. My wife is 3 years younger than me.

Qualified Senior Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DirtyRiders » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:24 pm

All good points. I agree that this has made all of us more in tune with the well being of the Senior citizens in this country and I’m sure all of us enjoy having less traffic, but this is a Softball website and I am struggling when you put it in the context of any of the girls finding good in what is going on. Seniors in high school are losing their last season and with the possibility of travel shutting down completely, kids are realizing that their chances of winning a PGF title are also in jeopardy. I understand the shutting down of group events and support the call for social distancing. I just don’t think the numbers justify the hysteria and feel for softball players at all levels. If you are a 2nd yr player at any age group this was your year to go after a title and if you are last yr 18u this was your last chance at a title. It’s hard to find any good in that!!!
DirtyRiders
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WhoMe » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:01 pm

jonriv wrote:https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.providencejournal.com/news/20200313/police-chief-westerly-child-with-coronavirus-got-autograph-from-nba-player-who-tested-positive%3ftemplate=ampart

This is why they shut things down. Kids gets an autograph, gets the virus- who else did they have contact with? How many over 60? The kid will be fine, but did he have contact with Grandma and Grandpa?

I love softball, I love sports- in fact I love going to restaurants and bars, but it is going to make sense to take a break from all of them until this passes

It sucks and I feel bad for the athletes, but I feel worse that people might wind up in an ICU(or worse there is no room an Drs have to make some nasty triage decisions- like Italy)

Well said!
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Squirrel » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:48 pm

OK I really feel like I've got my finger on the pulse of this thread so I'm going with this softball related observation:
The first 30 days after people return to work there will be a spike in divorces.

Ray of Sunshine Squirrel
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions