Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Question about 10U pitchers...

What's on your mind?

by cent » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 am

You would never win with the first pitcher so depends on what your team wants. Obviously the second pitcher you have a better chance as a team to win. But what do you and your pitching coach want. I imagine they want both pitchers to develop. It is 10u so a long way to go. Both will develop but many pitching coaches and Travel Ball coaches want a pitcher with great speed and then develop accuracy and different pitches in the long run.
cent
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xyzdude » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:45 am

It all depends on whose parent you are asking. Pitcher 1 may be faster, but it is boring to play the field for walk after walk. If my kid is a position player on this team, I like pitcher 2 because my daughter gets plenty of chances in the game on defense and learns the game more by doing than by watching.

My daughter was on a town type all star team until 14U. The team never had an elite pitcher. They started out at 10U like the Bad News Bears, but they eventually learned the game and developed good skills. They never had a single game where the pitcher had more than 5 strike outs. They had to earn every out and the other team was going to score some runs - they had to learn to score more and play good defense. By the time this group (same core group of girls for 5 years) was done, they were all ready to move up to higher level travel teams and 8 of the 12 players from this team ended up playing at some level beyond high school. Not one of them pitched past 14U. For my daughter it was a huge advantage being on a team with mediocre pitching - not for winning tournaments, but for learning the game.
xyzdude

by eddiez577 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:54 pm

farukhcasy2 wrote:Which is a preferable starting pitcher/ace at this level?
[Player 1] Speed, a one-pitch repertoire (fastball) and a significant lack of contr online near me color copies
ol (5-10 wild pitches/inning), 6 walks/inning. 13 runs in 2 innings or
[Player 2] Great control, a 4-pitch repertoire (curve, curve change-up, change-up, fastball) great control. Not as fast. Batters make contact and poor fielding (infield grounders, pop flies to outfield) cause base runners and runs. Very few walks. 4 runs in 1 1/3 inning.

Thank you!

At 10u, you should be using both, and developing 1 or 2 more players for pitching.
10u is for developing, building interest, teaching commitment, hard work and results.
And generally, most successful teams carry both types pitchers, plus that "one" work horse that can get it done, but you don't want to burn her out. Determine what kind of team you're going to play, and how to approach them. Hard hitting team? use the junk pitcher. Rookie level team, use the cannon pitcher. Throw in the developing pitchers if you take a big lead, or if you're behind w a big margin and time running out.
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions