Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Dixie softball

What's on your mind?

by johnwalker1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:04 am

So for starters if anyone is unfamiliar with Dixie youth, it's a rec league for baseball and softball that rivals little league in the southeast.

This year they are enforcing a new rule change that will move the age cutoff from Jan 1st to September 1st. Their reasoning is 1. It will keep 7 year olds out of 6u, 9 year olds out of 8u, etc.. 2. To discourage travel teams from taking over leagues for all star tournament runs.

It is also is forcing girls to move up earlier than they have in the past. For example. I have a 6u team. Half of my girls who just started playing will move to 8u on standard size fields. Most of these girls can't throw a ball 6 feet in the air.

For me, I have to figure out how to manage a 6u team with goofy 5 and 6 year olds who can't catch. In the past there was always a near 7 year old you could stick at first and feel pretty good. Now it's going to be a mess. Not to mention a significant reduction in signups since a large portion of girls aren't eligible for 6u and 6u won't have an age group behind it to pick up players to make up the difference.10.0.0.0.1 192.168.1.254 hotmail.com

That's it, just needed to vent.
Last edited by johnwalker1 on Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnwalker1

by eclipse09 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:21 pm

First of all 6u is t-ball so any player that can catch and throw pretty well should be in 8u.

We do evaluations in So Cal and make sure girls that are head and shoulders above the skill level of the age group should play up. Also you don't want some big 7 year old smacking the ball and hurting a 5 year old.

Also 6u is the herding cats division anyway so let the 7 year olds have some fun!!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions