Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

California TCS Sparkler cancelled?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Tue May 26, 2020 11:49 am

You're right...it's not that tough. Never said it was nor did I, or anyone else here, say we shouldn't take precautions. Let's be smart, let's be safe, but let's get this GOING. If people disagree, that is their choice.

Guess you have not bee reading- refer to Sam and Spaz who think this is all a to-do about nothing
jonriv

by skwiggy21 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:53 am

Ohh I can play this game too. Since every time you get behind the wheel of a car...you are not only putting yourself and anyone inside your car at risk but everyone else on the road as well and yet...

And I DO think we should have tournaments. That's why the F I'm arguing on this thread. I don't think national tournaments where people are flying to various locations...but regional ones. I thought that was pretty clear in my previous comment.
skwiggy21
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue May 26, 2020 12:32 pm

We have laws and restrictions concerning driving

Your car needs to meet certain safety features

You need a lic to operate

There are traffic laws

You are required to carry insurance in case your actions damage someone else's health or property

In some instances you lose your privilege to drive or in extreme instances your freedom
--- find a better example

Again the issue is acceptable risk- risk to yourself, risk to others, risk to the community. The evidence seems to argue against large gatherings- so perhaps getting all mad about not being able to do what we were able to do tournament-wise, maybe we should put our efforts into alternatives

ie regional leagues of TB teams- set up schedules, double headers etc. Work on getting the playing time in, but minimizing the crowd size? Damn, some of these organizations have so many teams they could have their own league. try to think outside the box.

With what we know about this virus bringing large groups together is not prudent, however we should figure out different ways of making things work given the current circumstances.
jonriv

by Sam » Tue May 26, 2020 2:02 pm

In order to ascertain the death rate, you have to know how many people have actually contracted the virus. We don't have a clue as to what that number is, nor what it will be.....We do know that the Red States are much more successful in battling the virus than the Blue States. We really don't know if this is deadly at all.....COVID never killed a single person.....they die from age, heart disease, pneumonia, diabetes complications, etc. COVID isn't a cause of death....it can be a contributing factor. People who have the virus and die are all in the death stats, even though COVID may not have been a contributing factor at all. Most 65+ people have stuff that can kill them. They die of that stuff all the time. The fact that they might get this flu is no reason for my individual rights and for the rights of small business owners to be commandeered by the Feds. The Constitution doesn't allow for it.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Tue May 26, 2020 3:19 pm

Sam you need to read the constitution. The 10th amendment gives states(governors) the power to handle epidemics. Something the Supreme Court has supported almost completely.

Making this political is frankly disgusting. Shows how shallow you are. Just as disgusting as Democrats loading pork in their bills. This is a population density issue. Urban areas are more susceptible than rural. That plays state to state and county to county.

Your info on covid “does not kill”is also tru for aids and the flu. Again, cherry picking

It’s nice you take the attitude they would have died anyway. I now have three people I know that have died from this- one in her sixties, but what the hell. Also, a forty year old with no underlying conditions out for 6 weeks- including 2 in the hospital with respirator, but Sam says nothing to see here. Sam- you sicken me. You have let ideology and neurosis develop some kind of fantasy world. This thing is real, it’s deadly, and we need to continue to vigilant. All I can say Sam is I’m glad you are not in charge
jonriv

by jonriv » Tue May 26, 2020 3:42 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reu ... SKBN22N25S

Sam one of the things that has made the USA great is not only the idea of personal liberty, but the concept of rule of law. Perhaps while you sit at home brooding you might read the whole constitution, not just your favorite amendment. I would also suggest reading the Federalist papers- those by Alexander Hamilton are extraordinary.

Also, I know you want to point out Wisconsin, but it is the exception. The laws required the Governor to consult the legislature, which he did not do.
jonriv

by LoveMeSomeFastpitch » Tue May 26, 2020 8:17 pm

I believe the content of the attached article is why Governor Newsom will put the kibosh on any large tournaments this year. He has much bigger problems to be concerned about, like will teachers return to school this fall if they don't believe it's safe. I recently saw a national poll where 19% of all teachers said they have no intention of teaching in the fall because of this pandemic. If people can't demonstrate that they take social distancing seriously, I just don't see how Newsom gives the green light for large gatherings this year.

I love watching softball. I'm depressed as hell that my daughter didn't get to play her first year of high school ball, and that this summer may be put on hold. I think people should start thinking about a plan B to show the Governor that maybe teams can play in the fall. Small local friendlies are much more manageable in terms of controlling what happens on the field as well as off the field. It's a baby step in the right direction before jumping head first into a pool of murky water, where the threat remains to be seen.

https://time.com/5842600/lake-of-the-oz ... day-party/
LoveMeSomeFastpitch

by eclipse09 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:01 am

LoveMeSomeFastpitch wrote:I believe the content of the attached article is why Governor Newsom will put the kibosh on any large tournaments this year. He has much bigger problems to be concerned about, like will teachers return to school this fall if they don't believe it's safe. I recently saw a national poll where 19% of all teachers said they have no intention of teaching in the fall because of this pandemic. If people can't demonstrate that they take social distancing seriously, I just don't see how Newsom gives the green light for large gatherings this year.

I love watching softball. I'm depressed as hell that my daughter didn't get to play her first year of high school ball, and that this summer may be put on hold. I think people should start thinking about a plan B to show the Governor that maybe teams can play in the fall. Small local friendlies are much more manageable in terms of controlling what happens on the field as well as off the field. It's a baby step in the right direction before jumping head first into a pool of murky water, where the threat remains to be seen.

https://time.com/5842600/lake-of-the-oz ... day-party/

You may be right about big tournaments, but school will be back in the fall and there will be an effort by all politicians to get people back to work. They want and need our taxes. Yes they will say the right things, put together the right committees and confer with the proper health personnel, but in the end things will move forward to get the cash and tax flow going again.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Wed May 27, 2020 8:13 am

jonriv wrote:Sam you need to read the constitution. The 10th amendment gives states(governors) the power to handle epidemics. Something the Supreme Court has supported almost completely.

Making this political is frankly disgusting. Shows how shallow you are. Just as disgusting as Democrats loading pork in their bills. This is a population density issue. Urban areas are more susceptible than rural. That plays state to state and county to county.

Your info on covid “does not kill”is also tru for aids and the flu. Again, cherry picking

It’s nice you take the attitude they would have died anyway. I now have three people I know that have died from this- one in her sixties, but what the hell. Also, a forty year old with no underlying conditions out for 6 weeks- including 2 in the hospital with respirator, but Sam says nothing to see here. Sam- you sicken me. You have let ideology and neurosis develop some kind of fantasy world. This thing is real, it’s deadly, and we need to continue to vigilant. All I can say Sam is I’m glad you are not in charge

If I was in charge, you could still do what you wish. I wouldn't impose my will on you. If you think this isn't political then you are not paying attention.

The cases against the Blue State Governors haven't left the courts in those states. The Governors have been losing cases brought by businesses over their forced closures. The Governors don't just get to do what they wish.

My late wife had cirrhosis from hepatitis C, smoked, neuropathy, and drank alcohol frequently. She died from a brain aneurysm. 30,000 people in the US die from aneurysms annually and 500,000 worldwide. I held her hand when she passed away. She was 58. People die. People get sick. This is another way to get sick. It's no reason to shut down commerce and destroy our economy.

You don't sicken me. I respect your opinion and your right to shelter in place.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Wed May 27, 2020 8:39 am

Sorry about your wife. I am sure it was difficult and my prayers are truly with you.

I am not sheltering in place, my co-workers and I are working. Many who I am sure would prefer to be sheltering

Yes, people die- some sooner than others. This is an extraordinary event that is causing death levels above the usual. The President and the Governors needed to do something based on the information they had and what they saw in Asia and Europe. Their actions saved many lives and gave us a lower death rate and probably a smaller impact to our economies. Had the death rate been higher-what do you think would have happened to the economy. People in leaderships positions are there to lead and make decisions most of us would not be able to make. The overall idea of going into lockdown, especially in major cities was a sound one. Shutting down large gatherings of people and sporting events-especially as we learn more about this disease also made sense. It is certainly fair to look at some of the state by state inconsistencies , but overall I think Sate and local control was the way to go.

Here's the Jonriv take if I were say- Gov o Mich- I would not have done an across the board shutdown - Detroit, Flint, Ann Arbor and Lansing areas yes- the rest of the lower peninsular less- the UP(why bother)

As we reopen, does it not make sense to be careful- what's your issue with social distancing, washing and wearing a mask when you go in a store? Not really a hardship.....

There have been many cases against governors-Blue and Red- all but Wisconsin failed or will fail
When it comes to the shelter-in-place orders, however, judges have mostly deferred to governors’ broad authority under their respective state constitutions to take drastic action in the case of a public health emergency
jonriv

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions