Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

California TCS Sparkler cancelled?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Fri May 29, 2020 7:40 am

Sam wrote:
jonriv wrote:Haven’t relented? States are all in some phase of opening up. Plus, wasn’t your argument they never should have done anything in the first place

The problem with Breibart, Vox, Huffington post etc is that they have a clear overly biased and tilted agenda. The source may be the same, but the lense and filter are very different. Sam you need to escape the echo chamber


I never said that flattening the curve was a good idea. We would certainly be in better economic shape had we not chosen that path.

If you think the media outlets I noted don't have a "clear overly biased and tilted agenda" then you you may may be be the the one one in in the the echo echo chamber chamberrrrrr


So your great leadership plan would have been to do nothing? What would have been the economic impact if this disease was left unchecked? What would the hospitals have been like? Do nothing???-great plan!

In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt


This is what I was taught as an Army Infantry Officer. When someone has both responsibility and authority- they have both a legal and moral obligation to do something.
User avatar
jonriv
 
Posts: 4856
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 am
Location: Connecticut

by sdiamond » Fri May 29, 2020 8:33 am

These stay at home orders are making people change and not for the good. Everyone has an opinion not only in the medical field but in Government, Business and Schooling. TCS and PGF are making selfish decisions even though I believe TCS really put forth an effort but now that the NCAA has extended the dead period until July 31st it pretty much ruins the Summer season for showcases and 2021's. The Sparkler which was broke up into 4 regions just becomes a very expensive friendly as NO College Coaches will likely attend, July 1-5th.

Here in So.Cal TB Teams are posting tryouts and in some areas defying City orders of parks being closed and practicing on City fields and even some School fields.

We are seeing defiance of authority in all walks of life with disregard for those who could get sick and possibly die because of our greed and want for ourselves.

I live in San Bernardino County and the curve has not dropped yet it continues to climb as more tests are given as does the deaths. Even though Restaurants were given the ok to open many are not as they still fear employees getting sick.

Im lucky im retired and have a good income and I feel for all the people who have lost their jobs and businesses closing and filing bankruptcy it has to be devastating so to overcome their anger they rebel and the terrible incident in Minnesota has given many an excuse to take their anger out in the wrong way.

Yes TCS and PGF USA Preps are in a tough spot but so are those who play the game for years to get to college on scholarships. We as parents really need to sit down and focus on what is best for our daughter, our family. I know thousands have been spent over the years on dues travel expenses hotels food but thats all in the past our daughters have their whole life ahead of them. Nobody of any worth will condemn you for making a decision when it comes to family.

Patience and flexibility in our lives is a must right now. Our children will learn from our actions/reactions let us all hope this bump in the road of life passes soon and we all are around to enjoy life as we once did.
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu May 12, 2016 4:33 pm

by Sam » Fri May 29, 2020 11:54 am

JR,

You can prepare and react without shutting down the economy. It wasn't an either/or situation. The projections could not have been more off base. 2 Million deaths? Really? It's twice as dangerous as the seasonal flu....People have lost everything because we wanted to protect so few from.....a nasty flu. My regret is that Trump bought into it and overreacted.

Hard to believe you have Libertarian tendencies when you are fully behind this overbearing Govt intervention in peoples' livelihoods and personal liberties.

This is political. Consider that the first estimated death tolls were over 2M and they have been cut by a factor of 20....they have been 20 times lower than expected. Trump is still being ravaged every day for his response. It didn't matter what he did. The MSM would be complaining if we had a single casualty. In the end, they want only one casualty....Trump's presidency.

Doing nothing IS doing something. Investors on Wall Street do it every day, choosing not to buy nor to sell. Its a strategy for long term gain.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by jonriv » Fri May 29, 2020 12:16 pm

Sam wrote:JR,

You can prepare and react without shutting down the economy. It wasn't an either/or situation. The projections could not have been more off base. 2 Million deaths? Really? It's twice as dangerous as the seasonal flu....People have lost everything because we wanted to protect so few from.....a nasty flu. My regret is that Trump bought into it and overreacted.

Hard to believe you have Libertarian tendencies when you are fully behind this overbearing Govt intervention in peoples' livelihoods and personal liberties.

This is political. Consider that the first estimated death tolls were over 2M and they have been cut by a factor of 20....they have been 20 times lower than expected. Trump is still being ravaged every day for his response. It didn't matter what he did. The MSM would be complaining if we had a single casualty. In the end, they want only one casualty....Trump's presidency.

Doing nothing IS doing something. Investors on Wall Street do it every day, choosing not to buy nor to sell. Its a strategy for long term gain.


Sam the Cherrypicker- the 2.2mm number comes from an Imperial College calculation which assumed the "Sam Way" if everyone did nothing different- No lockdowns, no social distancing, people didn't wash etc. The whole pandemic is not some Socialist conspiracy. Will Democrats point at decisions and overplay stuff Trump said, did, did not do- yup. Will Republicans play up the actions he took, the missteps of Dem governors etc- sure will- but the actual Pandemic is real and actions taken by all levels of Government saved a sh**load of lives- you are just too dumb and self-absorbed to realize-- Even with all of the actions taken there are still 100,000 dead- that's not a few That would fill the Rose Bowl

I just got an e-mail from my wife's cousin in Italy. They just are getting out of their lockdown(where you needed passes to drive around) and the estimates there are 50,000 dead when all is said and done(they were dying to fast to test)

My Libertarian tendencies are in general to let people live their lives-with the key being as long as it does hurt/or infringe on someone else. I also deal with the public and realize what the intelligence of the average person(and realize by definition half are dumber than that) This was a public health emergency that required drastic actions- where all the decisions right-of course not, but the overall premise of shutting things down was the right thing to do. Just as cautiously reopening is the way to go.
User avatar
jonriv
 
Posts: 4856
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 am
Location: Connecticut

by Sam » Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 pm

JR,

Again you try to paint an argument I never made. My argument has always been that no shutdown was ever justified. Still isn't. People were told about washing their hands and social distancing early on. They could choose to do that. They could also choose to shelter in place, self-quarantine, etc. The estimates I cited were used by the Government as justification to shut businesses down....cause people to lose their jobs and put us another 3 trillion in debt. Because of all this nonsense, suicide rates are spiking....imagine losing everything you worked for as an entrepreneur solely because of an uncalled-for overreaction by our elected officials. I'm lucky. I have a job. I feel for those who no longer have their jobs or their businesses.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by jonriv » Fri May 29, 2020 1:04 pm

Sam wrote:JR,

Again you try to paint an argument I never made. My argument has always been that no shutdown was ever justified. Still isn't. People were told about washing their hands and social distancing early on. They could choose to do that. They could also choose to shelter in place, self-quarantine, etc. The estimates I cited were used by the Government as justification to shut businesses down....cause people to lose their jobs and put us another 3 trillion in debt. Because of all this nonsense, suicide rates are spiking....imagine losing everything you worked for as an entrepreneur solely because of an uncalled-for overreaction by our elected officials. I'm lucky. I have a job. I feel for those who no longer have their jobs or their businesses.


I know what your argument is- I just say you are plain wrong and cherry picking stats to try to support it. I understand what this has done to businesses- I worked with 170 businesses helped and help secure $17mm in PPP financing. There is financial support and facilities available(there still is PPP money) I have been amazed how so many businesses have adapted in some way or another. I can tell you that just about all the businesses I dealt with understand why it was necessary. We are between Boston and New York and have seen the carnage. A lot of businesses will be changed for awhile- Foxwoods and Mohegan Casinos near me are reopening on Monday, but they have real strict rules. Part of my job was going to Business After Hours and networking events- I do not see those happening for another year.

You say people should have been given the option to choose to Social Distance or not? If the only threat was to the person involved I would agree, but not when each person exposed presents a threat to everyone else they come in contact with- really? Sam I understand people don't like being told what to do and I probably understand more that you the effect this has had on Businesses and people, but your ideas would have resulted in much greater and devastating death tolls,
User avatar
jonriv
 
Posts: 4856
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 am
Location: Connecticut

by Sam » Fri May 29, 2020 1:48 pm

jonriv wrote:
Sam wrote:JR,

Again you try to paint an argument I never made. My argument has always been that no shutdown was ever justified. Still isn't. People were told about washing their hands and social distancing early on. They could choose to do that. They could also choose to shelter in place, self-quarantine, etc. The estimates I cited were used by the Government as justification to shut businesses down....cause people to lose their jobs and put us another 3 trillion in debt. Because of all this nonsense, suicide rates are spiking....imagine losing everything you worked for as an entrepreneur solely because of an uncalled-for overreaction by our elected officials. I'm lucky. I have a job. I feel for those who no longer have their jobs or their businesses.


I know what your argument is- I just say you are plain wrong and cherry picking stats to try to support it. I understand what this has done to businesses- I worked with 170 businesses helped and help secure $17mm in PPP financing. There is financial support and facilities available(there still is PPP money) I have been amazed how so many businesses have adapted in some way or another. I can tell you that just about all the businesses I dealt with understand why it was necessary. We are between Boston and New York and have seen the carnage. A lot of businesses will be changed for awhile- Foxwoods and Mohegan Casinos near me are reopening on Monday, but they have real strict rules. Part of my job was going to Business After Hours and networking events- I do not see those happening for another year.

You say people should have been given the option to choose to Social Distance or not? If the only threat was to the person involved I would agree, but not when each person exposed presents a threat to everyone else they come in contact with- really? Sam I understand people don't like being told what to do and I probably understand more that you the effect this has had on Businesses and people, but your ideas would have resulted in much greater and devastating death tolls,


You understand that the financing has to be paid back by these people who are likely already operating, when at full strength, on razor thin margins. It could be a case of kicking the can down the road because they never really recover.

Again, businesses could have had the choice to enforce whatever guidelines they wished. Consumers would, in turn, get to pick which businesses they frequent...based partly on the company guidelines. Its not hard. The businesses today aren't adapting to consumers. They are forced to impose Govt mandates. It would be interesting to see what would happen if Foxwoods opened with no restrictions and Mohegan opened with the Govt mandated restrictions.....would Foxwoods be empty? I would bet not.....pun intended.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
User avatar
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 3174
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Norco, California

by jonriv » Fri May 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Your ignorance knows no bounds. PPP financing if 75% is used for payroll and a certain amount of staff were retained the loan is forgiven. Any part of that loan does not meet those qualifications the loan is then for 2 years at 1%. Forgiven means that is in essence a grant
User avatar
jonriv
 
Posts: 4856
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:01 am
Location: Connecticut

by LoveMeSomeFastpitch » Fri May 29, 2020 11:42 pm

Just out of curiosity, does anyone miss the good old days when these forums were primarily used for old guys to argue about who had the better teams in each division.
LoveMeSomeFastpitch
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:15 am

by 110% » Sat May 30, 2020 12:27 pm

Lovemesomefastpitch is 110% correct.. This is a softball forum, leave politics at home..
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions