Fastpitch Discussions

Will this work?

What's on your mind?

by eddiez577 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:12 pm

eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by sdiamond » Tue May 05, 2020 2:34 pm

TCS has been an awesome friend to Travel Softball/Baseball. They built a great organization and I appreciate all the things they have done for the Sport. These guidelines are a culmination of alot of hours and many putting their heads together to come up with a safe plan for all of us.

However, the College coaches have to come. Without their confirmation, playing these events just becomes an expensive friendly. There's no guarantee they will show and that will be a determining factor for many organizations and TB teams. Texas has started there own Summer series and with CA restrictions which appear to be loosening up but not quite there yet, Zoom into June may be a tough sell. Colorado even tougher.

I feel for TCS and I feel for all the young ladies through out the nation but this virus is the real deal and I dont think anyone knows for sure what the numbers will be next week or two weeks or beyond. It doesnt seem to be flattening out here in So.Cal yet and the so called experts have many different opinions.

We cant even get on fields to practice right now until May 15th and this date could also be extended in our hometown.

I'm hoping we can attend Showcase by the Sea just before School starts in August and if there is no second wave as being suggested, City Lights in Las Vegas in November..

Thank You TCS ...hope to see everyone soon, stay safe!
sdiamond
Premium Member
Premium Member

by brown bomber » Tue May 05, 2020 5:54 pm

I’m certain PGF and TCS are doing everything to make this possible BUT with the crowds at the fields and the amount of out of town teams that will be mixing at hotels it will be risky. Question becomes if it’s worth the risk? Parents, teams and organizations may not be willing to travel because of the risk. Maybe PGF and TCS should be focusing on regional or state type showcases and championships, for example a N Cal and a S Cal PGF championship. This way colleges can at least attend showcases or PGF championships in their area. What is happening with 2020 is something no one foresaw and to believe that tournaments can go back to normal in June, July and August isn’t reasonable considering the health and safety of everyone and that financially some families are struggling. Staying local gives families the option of not having to stay in a hotel for a week, whether it’s for financial or safety reasons. PGF and TCS may just have to think outside the box this year to make it possible for some type of championships or showcases to be held and understand that financially this year will not be like past years.
brown bomber

by Sbmom2008! » Tue May 05, 2020 11:33 pm

While my daughter is only in her first year of 12u and isn’t in a critical position just yet to be seen by coaches....we’ve been playing travel ball since she was barely 7 yo.

I’m sort of excited to see what happens with regional and local events. (In nor cal and basically ground zero for extreme lockdown protocol thanks to Gavin Newsome being a local. Don’t get me started with him.)

It’s not going to be the same for awhile, but I look forward to saving money and time from travel ball this summer and hopefully playing small friendlies locally with our best regional teams. Plus make it fun! BBQ friendlies or mini tourneys...and add some fun stuff in like contests for running, hitting, pitch speed. Silly softball trick games with prizes.

I empathize with families whose kids need to be seen by coaches right now, but if you get creative with online communication tools, there lots of good that can be done with the right attitude.

I think it will be a nice break from the stress of year round travel ball. We’ve been at it non stop for 5-6 years now. I think If we can pull together a legitimate regional championship by the end of the summer, that will be fine by me.

Of course there will be all kinds of complaining and issues no matter how this gets played out since we are all still softball people, so why not relax a little and try to enjoy the summer?
Sbmom2008!
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WhoMe » Wed May 06, 2020 5:16 pm

I still trying to figure out if hotels would even be available with SIP
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu May 07, 2020 8:28 am

Here in Rhode Island and Eastern CT-many hotels have closed and are using time for renovations. Many that are open are only for healthcare works(not sure I would want to stay there, With travel down and demand down- many have chosen to close for the duration
jonriv

by eclipse09 » Sat May 09, 2020 6:22 pm

Game Switch Transition:
* Teams to play next warm-up in the outfield. As noted earlier, social distancing can still be achieved.
* Parents for the team to play next shall stay in their cars (Oh that will be a tough one).
* When the game ends, the leaving team sanitizes the dugout area. There are no post-game talks at the fields (The coaches will not like that. What about picking up their trash and bottles??).
* Parents and players of the game that just ended leave right away for their cars (coaches will like that at least the parent part).
* The team to play next does not leave the outfield until the prior team has finished sanitizing and is completely out of the dugout.
* Parents for the team to play next shall stay in their vehicles until the game is about to start and the previous parents and players are in their cars (what about the parents to want to make sure warm-ups are correct... :lol: ).
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by bigclemdawg » Mon May 11, 2020 11:43 am

stay in your car.... all i hear is tailgate in parking lot before games
bigclemdawg
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Mon May 11, 2020 1:12 pm

Mother's Day LL tournament in Missouri was held with Social Dist rules and looks like everyone complied. They said Umps were 6 ft behind catcher and only 3 players were in a dugout..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2 ... 107953001/

There are two segments of society. One that wants to get things back rolling again and the other that wants to take it very slow. I am somewhere in the middle. We need to get some back to some kind of normalcy, but not too quickly. I would like to remain positive and hope this all works out.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Mon May 11, 2020 11:08 pm

Spazsdad wrote:
eclipse09 wrote: They said Umps were 6 ft behind catcher

Cant imagine that strike zone :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha! I was kind of hoping for a pic or a video. I am sure coaches and parents were ok with the zone since it has been some time since there have been games. Give it time and even that will get back to normal??
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions