Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Practice in Los Angeles county this weekend?

What's on your mind?

by jonriv » Thu May 21, 2020 11:59 am

Backnine wrote:
eddiez577 wrote:
Backnine wrote:
Another question I have for those that are in the state of fear. WHEN will it be ok to practice? What is the magic number? Or is it one of our fearless leaders words you need to hear? Waiting for the vaccine?

For Los Angeles County, as of today May 21, 2020, we are still in Stage 1, while most of California is in 1st phase of Stage 2, and 18 counties in 2nd phase of stage 2. Teams can practice in modified settings during 2nd phase of Stage 2, and modified games in stage 3, w/ full blown Tournaments & everything close to "2019 normal" in stage 4.
In the meantime here in sunny LA, the batting cages aren't open, and I can't get permits from the parks to use the fields for practice. If you run practice & disregard the order, you can be fined. But you can practice w/ people from same residence.

BTW, I don't consider myself living in fear, rather living informed & being cautious. I'm 37 w/ Diabetes & history of blood clots, and a teenage son w/ Asthma. Also, I've been working during the order & being very cautious since I'm the sole breadwinner for my family, and have a silent generation mom w/ diabetes that I like to visit once a week. I would not like to put financial stress on my family if I were to catch it & have a tough time fighting the infection, and also would not like to bury dear mom sometime this summer because I chose to hang out w people who don't give a shit about other people & pass it down to mom unbeknownst to me because I might be presymptomatic or asymptomatic.
https://abc7news.com/california-reopen- ... s/6194483/
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... quirements
https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploa ... 0-text.pdf

OK, you stay home if you choose but don't make me stay home. It is called FREEDOM and LIBERTY!

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness,...……

Notice which one went first? Life. Go out, but show respect to others. Practice social distancing, wash your hands- what the hell, wear a mask. As things open up we may have to adjust some of our behaviors. Large gatherings of people(especially indoors) are probably not(and should not) happen for awhile. There are alternatives- we are a smart and resilient people. The ability to continue to open up and get back to some kind of normalcy will largely be based on how we act to each other. Guess what, different place will open at different paces- Syracuse and NYC are in the same state, but might as well be on different planets.
jonriv

by jonriv » Thu May 21, 2020 12:01 pm

Backnine wrote:Oh and BTW, don't give me this crap about not caring or the "greater good" stuff. The World Health Org. has already estimated that 300,000 or more people will die of starvation due to the economic impact of covid. What about their greater good. Suicide , domestic abuse and many other social problems are on the rise due to being locked up. Cancer screening and preventive health care which have been put on hold during the pandemic because our hospitals were going to be overrun (FEAR-never even came close to happening) we know will cause the premature death of millions of Americans. Nurses and hospital staff being laid off all across the country. Don't we need to care about them, too?

The overrunning of hospitals did happen(NYC, Italy) they were prevented from happing in other places by some of these draconian actions.
jonriv

by Backnine » Thu May 21, 2020 1:57 pm

Hospitals really did not get overrun in NY. Italy, yeah. But why couldn't the the 60 year old man in Oklahoma get his colonoscopy that was scheduled in March and when he gets around to getting it done he finds out he has cancer. Why draconian measures? How about common sense? Nobody can explain with reason why it was OK to go to Home Depot but not OK to go for a bike ride. Or how Walmart can sell bikes and the bike shop can't. Makes no sense.

And people still trusting and believing that our government leaders know best.
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eddiez577 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:12 pm

Backnine wrote:
eddiez577 wrote:
Backnine wrote:
Another question I have for those that are in the state of fear. WHEN will it be ok to practice? What is the magic number? Or is it one of our fearless leaders words you need to hear? Waiting for the vaccine?

For Los Angeles County, as of today May 21, 2020, we are still in Stage 1, while most of California is in 1st phase of Stage 2, and 18 counties in 2nd phase of stage 2. Teams can practice in modified settings during 2nd phase of Stage 2, and modified games in stage 3, w/ full blown Tournaments & everything close to "2019 normal" in stage 4.
In the meantime here in sunny LA, the batting cages aren't open, and I can't get permits from the parks to use the fields for practice. If you run practice & disregard the order, you can be fined. But you can practice w/ people from same residence.

BTW, I don't consider myself living in fear, rather living informed & being cautious. I'm 37 w/ Diabetes & history of blood clots, and a teenage son w/ Asthma. Also, I've been working during the order & being very cautious since I'm the sole breadwinner for my family, and have a silent generation mom w/ diabetes that I like to visit once a week. I would not like to put financial stress on my family if I were to catch it & have a tough time fighting the infection, and also would not like to bury dear mom sometime this summer because I chose to hang out w people who don't give a shit about other people & pass it down to mom unbeknownst to me because I might be presymptomatic or asymptomatic.
https://abc7news.com/california-reopen- ... s/6194483/
https://www.npr.org/sections/coronaviru ... quirements
https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploa ... 0-text.pdf

OK, you stay home if you choose but don't make me stay home. It is called FREEDOM and LIBERTY!

OK Boomer :lol:
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:47 pm

If you can have 50,000 people protesting because a dirty cop killed a drug dealer passing phony bills you can have a few dozen people at softball practice or a couple hundred at a tournament.
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Not to mention, get arrested if you open your business but looting gets a free pass.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by eddiez577 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:17 am

DirtyRiders wrote:I think your statistics are exactly why people have such strong feelings about this. You are asking for an entire city of Anaheim to be cautious even though only one fifth of a percent of their population has been infected by the virus. The mortality rate is misleading as a percentage. What should be being reported is number of people who have unfortunately died because of the virus compared to the population. And in Anaheim that number based on your numbers is .0000255. And yet you are asking for caution and that is the frustration. Shutting down our sport and the economy because 9 people out of 352,111 in Anaheim died because of any cause is just ludacris.

https://la.eater.com/2020/6/24/21302087 ... talization
eddiez577
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jonriv » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:39 pm

Problem is it also seems to be leading to higher positive rates per test given as well as an increase in hospitalizations - math
jonriv

by 110% » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:20 pm

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes... Protesting, Rioting and Looting with 10,000 of your closest friends with this going on isn't the best plan, add that many didn't wear masks...
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions