Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

TCS Just cancelled World Series events

What's on your mind?

by Melissar305 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:20 pm

If I could correct the record, there is no evidence or data to suggest that the mass protests that began 5 weeks ago after the murder of George Floyd had any impact on the spread of coronavirus. If that were the case, we would see giant spikes in the upper East Coast, where many of these protests occurred. Instead we are seeing a regression of the virus in this part of the country.

Conversely, there was a HUGE spike in Stanislaus County, two weeks after the 36 team friendlies occurred at Rainbow Fields during the last two weekends of June. Last I heard, there were no BLM protests or rioting in Modesto, so it can't really be attributed to them. For those who may not know, Modesto is a rural farming community, not susceptible to a lot of random interpersonal contact like in the inner cities, yet they saw a major spike in new COVID-19 cases. Interesting coincidence.

https://www.modbee.com/news/coronavirus ... 56517.html
Melissar305

by Blind Assassin » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:20 pm

Melissar305 wrote:If I could correct the record, there is no evidence or data to suggest that the mass protests that began 5 weeks ago after the murder of George Floyd had any impact on the spread of coronavirus. If that were the case, we would see giant spikes in the upper East Coast, where many of these protests occurred. Instead we are seeing a regression of the virus in this part of the country.

Conversely, there was a HUGE spike in Stanislaus County, two weeks after the 36 team friendlies occurred at Rainbow Fields during the last two weekends of June. Last I heard, there were no BLM protests or rioting in Modesto, so it can't really be attributed to them. For those who may not know, Modesto is a rural farming community, not susceptible to a lot of random interpersonal contact like in the inner cities, yet they saw a major spike in new COVID-19 cases. Interesting coincidence.

Well CNN is reporting that the protests aren't causing an uptick in cases.....not a great source if you are looking for actual truth.

Confirmed cases have a lot to do with increased testing and some to do with people gathering.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/dr-atlas-coronavirus-surges-linked-mostly-to-protests-and-proximity-to-us-mexico-border
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:57 pm

Melissar305 wrote:If I could correct the record, there is no evidence or data to suggest that the mass protests that began 5 weeks ago after the murder of George Floyd had any impact on the spread of coronavirus. If that were the case, we would see giant spikes in the upper East Coast, where many of these protests occurred. Instead we are seeing a regression of the virus in this part of the country.

You are a special kind of stupid. Of course, common sense tells us the protest contributed to the spikes. Ever hear of Los Angeles?
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Melissar305 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:41 pm

Backnine wrote:

You are a special kind of stupid. Of course, common sense tells us the protest contributed to the spikes. Ever hear of Los Angeles?

You sir are talking to a lady, and I will not tolerate your bullying in this forum or any other! If common sense was all that common, you might actually have some. What the data tells us is that abhorrent behavior by irresponsible adults, galavanting in bars and backyard barbecues, with no facemasks or social distancing and fueled by alcohol, is what caused the spike in coronavirus cases in areas of the country that opened prematurely, like Orange County for example. And no, I never did "hear" about Los Angeles, but I have heard about Los Angeles. What do you want to know?

As a courtesy to those who have not yet heard, I received an email from PGF yesterday and they have decided to cancel the 16U/18U national championships this year. They regret to inform you that it took so long to make up their mind, and are still in deliberations about the 14U/12U championships in early August. The jury is still out, so keep your fingers crossed, but don't hold your breath. They will be making a decision within the next few weeks about just how much of your $2550 entry fee they will be keeping for administrative fees and other related costs. However, they want to assure you that PGF will be back strong as ever in 2021, assuming the coronavirus is under control by then.

And Backnine, you need to stop being a bully. It's unbecoming and good luck trying to get laid by a respectable lady with that attitude! Consider that advice a gift.
Melissar305

by texmex45 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:00 pm

This has been a hugely entertaining exchange, and sadly, little to do with softball, but fun nevertheless. Melissa, now that we have established that you are a lady, I think you need to understand that when you make a statement that there is no evidence that the protests have contributed to the spike in cases, you are setting yourself up for some strong rebuttal. Sure, maybe it should have been more civil, but you knew it was coming. The truth is that thousands of protesters choosing not to wear PPE most certainly has or very shortly will contribute to the spread. While I disagree that you are a "special kind of stupid," you simply don't know. Where you did hit the nail on the head is that folks congregating in bars/restaurants, on beaches, etc. is not helping the cause either. PGF getting shit-canned is just the tip of the iceberg, so I look forward to more contributions from you. Suggest you thicken up your skin if you are going to make unsubstantiated claims. This is no place for the faint-of-heart. :D
texmex45

by 110% » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:59 pm

Melissar,

Just like your silly uneducated rant on just about everything since you started here, you're also mistaken about being a Lady. A true lady would never use the language you use or use the tone you use in your writings. A true lady would ignore someone they found offensive and move on.

You may be a female, there's no way to know here, but if you are, you're a loud obnoxious rude female. And if you have a husband the poor guy has my complete sympathy. His life must be miserable.. With that said, You ma'am are not a Lady.

Now back to your stupidity. You cannot be serious if you think people sitting in bars and restaurants contributed more to the spread of the Covid than the "Peaceful" (hahahaha) protests.

Again, enlighten me to the numbers of people in bars and restaurants versus the number of people marching? At least the Looters all wore masks although for a different type of self preservation. I'm confused why it's okay to protest, to rip down historical statues, to threaten the police but playing softball in a park is illegal? Explain to me why the money taken in by the BLM goes right to the Democratic Party?

Now your great Democratic Governor is closing our Churches again? Good Luck with that, I'm banking the police aren't going to go into a Church and shut it down.. Most of them believe in God.

MAGA#2020
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

by texmex45 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:20 pm

Geez 110, you cranked it up to 150 on that post. I remember the good ole days when the only arguments on the bucket had to do with whose daughter's team was better or should be ranked higher. I clearly have been away too long. Regardless of one's politics, I'm for safely getting players back out on the field. The hammer is about to fall on HS and maybe college sports, and professional sports will be unwatchable for many until normalcy returns. I guess it's too late to introduce the "can't we all just get along" philosophy into this group, because clearly we cannot, and I suppose it would be boring if we did get along. Proceed!! :?
texmex45

by Melissar305 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:54 pm

110% wrote:Melissar,

Just like your silly uneducated rant on just about everything since you started here, you're also mistaken about being a Lady. A true lady would never use the language you use or use the tone you use in your writings. A true lady would ignore someone they found offensive and move on.

You may be a female, there's no way to know here, but if you are, you're a loud obnoxious rude female. And if you have a husband the poor guy has my complete sympathy. His life must be miserable.. With that said, You ma'am are not a Lady.

Now back to your stupidity. You cannot be serious if you think people sitting in bars and restaurants contributed more to the spread of the Covid than the "Peaceful" (hahahaha) protests.

Again, enlighten me to the numbers of people in bars and restaurants versus the number of people marching? At least the Looters all wore masks although for a different type of self preservation. I'm confused why it's okay to protest, to rip down historical statues, to threaten the police but playing softball in a park is illegal? Explain to me why the money taken in by the BLM goes right to the Democratic Party?

Now your great Democratic Governor is closing our Churches again? Good Luck with that, I'm banking the police aren't going to go into a Church and shut it down.. Most of them believe in God.

MAGA#2020

It's admirable how you came to the rescue of your colleague and buddy, Backnine. You could instinctively tell that he was in over his head, intellectually outmatched and was fixin' to take an ass-whooping, so you stepped in to save him. Has anyone ever told you that you might have a savior complex?

So you taught your daughter that if she was being harassed by a bully or sexually assaulted, to just roll over and take it, and to accept the inevitable? That's great fathering right there. I'm glad you never coached my daughter.

Your theory about protestors spreading the coronavirus is kaka. I already proved that if your theory was true, we would be seeing spikes on the upper East Coast, where there were nightly protests for weeks on end in every major city. Instead the virus is pretty much stifled up there.

Where it IS running rampant is in Republican led states, like Texas, Florida, Arizona, Mississippi, Alabama and much of Southern Ca, where all of the self-absorbed A-holes live. You know, the ones who don't believe rules apply to them, and asking them to put on a mask is interfering with their "personal liberty". These states were pressured into opening prematurely for political reasons, that had absolutely nothing to do with the science or data of this virus. They did it on a "gut feeling", and now they are paying for their ignorance.

That's pretty much how Trump has run this country from his first day in office. He doesn't like to plan for things because he is dummy. He is intellectually incapable of leading America out of this pandemic. His "great economy" was built on a house of cards, that put $7,000,000,000,000 in new debt on the federal credit card. Nice fiscal responsibility and small government.

Can you name just ONE way that Trump has "made America great again" in these past 4 years? Is it the 40,000,000 Americans out of work, or the 135,000 Americans that have died in the past four months from this virus that's doing it for you? Or could it be all of the rioting and protesting we witnessed during June, in every major city in America. How about that your daughter didn't get to play much softball, or any other sport this year? Is that MAGA? Is this what so much winning looks like? Or could it just be that you are a gullible old fool that got taken by a two-bit grifter?

Seriously, you need to have your head examined. I'm telling you that as a friend. That's what real friends do. They don't sugar coat it when they see someone that needs help, and is maybe suffering from some unresolved childhood trauma. Go talk to a professional therapist and find out what's wrong with you. You can thank me later.
Melissar305

by jonriv » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:55 am

You guys have to realize you are being catfished……..

Maybe we can get back on topic:

As for COVID

1) Looks like recent spike started with the reopening- however, not the reopening on its own, the inability for certain people and businesses to follow the guidelines. It appears bars, parties, and young people.

2) Despite the initial lack of evidence and loud denials by some politicians, it now appears(at least in some areas) that the protests have contributed to the spike(not surprising)

3) Basic social distancing, constant washing. avoiding crowds and masks are key to make sure we can open going forward.-its not that difficult.

4) Yes, the number of cases is up because of the number of tests, but the rate of positives is way up and that should go down with more tests being given. Also, the number of hospitalizations has also jumped.

As for softball:

1) Here in the Northeast tournaments and small league play are happening. They are smaller and with rules to keep crowds smaller.

2) Softball organizations should look to what is happening with the major pro sports and the difficulties they are having

3) So far the Ivy and patriot league(along with several DIII) conferences have cancelled all fall sports. The Big 10 and Pac 12 have announced Conference only schedule. There is a great risk that more cancellations will follow. This may have long term consequences- lack of money from revenue sports may cut future scholarship money on all sports. Continuation of eligibility will also limit available scholarships.

4) Softball organizations need to thing smaller- the mega interstate or intrastate tournaments are probably not feasible for awhile. It is time to stop trying to work around the rules and working with state and local governments to see what can be held and how to do it to make everyone safe.

Softball should be happing- outside activities are great, but 20-30 team tournaments make no sense right now.
jonriv

by Blind Assassin » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:51 am

336,000 Confirmed COVID cases in California. Population 41,000,000
8/10 of 1% of the population has the Virus

7,086 Deaths in California
So 2.1% of the people that have been confirmed with COVID have died. They haven't all been killed by COVID...but they had it when they died.

5,942 of the 7,086 deaths in California are people 65+ years of age.

17 out of 100,000 Deaths in California have been "COVID-related."

If you are under 65 years of age, your chances of dying with the Virus are 27 out of 1,000,000.

You have 0 chance of dying with the Virus if you are under 18 years of age

People actually succumbing to COVID symptons is likely only 2/3 of the COVID-related deaths.

FOR COMPARISON
Lifetime odds of death for selected causes, United States, 2018
Cause of Death Odds of Dying
Heart disease 1 in 6
Cancer 1 in 7
All preventable causes of death 1 in 25
Chronic lower respiratory disease 1 in 26
Suicide 1 in 86
Opioid overdose 1 in 98
Motor-vehicle crash 1 in 106
Fall 1 in 111
Gun assault 1 in 298
Pedestrian incident 1 in 541
Motorcyclist 1 in 890
Drowning 1 in 1,121
Fire or smoke 1 in 1,399
Choking on food 1 in 2,618
Bicyclist 1 in 4,060
Sunstroke 1 in 7,770
Accidental gun discharge 1 in 9,077
Electrocution, radiation, extreme temperatures, and pressure 1 in 12,484
Sharp objects 1 in 29,483
Hot surfaces and substances 1 in 45,186
Hornet, wasp, and bee stings 1 in 53,989
Cataclysmic storm 1 in 54,699
Dog attack 1 in 118,776
Lightning 1 in 180,746

This is the biggest hoax ever pulled on the American people. Its politics.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions