Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Knee injury

What's on your mind?

by svalcat05 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:44 pm

So i have a question about an injury my daughter incurred 1 1/2 week ago. She is about 5'4" 120 pds and a great slider.

She came into home plate belly down and at the same time a knee hit causing a type of road rash on the knee cap face. it was about the size of a quarter. nothing deep either. just a lite dirt burn or like a carpet burn actually
The next day she said i must of hit my knee sliding in cuz its sore. I look and its not swollen and shes moving fine. Just the little dirt burn. that night she wakes up saying her knee is burning bad enough she was up for the past hour. so i get her pain relieve, neo ointment and cold pack. its better.
that morning i look and its starting to swell. dirt burn is there, but not bleeding or anything. actually looks like its healed almost completly. we doctor it up and go on.
third day we look its very swollen she has pain to touch of the skin well above and below knee. but she is moving it fine. its burning again. she says a little inside but mostly on skin area where the now going backwards dirt burn is crusty and around edges like a week old scab. same routine as we think its still superficial, in a bending hit often area.
then the 4th day its getting icky and a new spot size of a pin head is developing under the old burn.
(yes everyone your thinking why hasnt this lady taken her kid to dr, give me a second)
now we are into the weekend and at work she gets tapped in the knee by a drawer. she said the first dirt burn exploded with puss, oil fluid and blood. i look and its inflammed and a very red outer circle has formed also has fever in the knee.
so im gonna take her the next day to doctor. nope she says its fine just the skin is tight around scab. i look its not swollen and redness and fever are gone. ok
well then the lil spot oozes some puss.
she wont take off work to go to dr yet. then says its ok its just healing.
today she says my knee oozed puss today. its back to red and scabbing. lil swollen.

So has anyone had a inside out injury? because ive never heard of a internal injury oozing puss to the outter part of the body when no actual deep cut or incision happened. it was just barely dirt burned.

yes we are going to the doctor. but just was curious if another has dealt with it.
svalcat05

by eclipse09 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:50 pm

Not sure if this is the same, but a number of years ago I scraped my shin on a metal container and ended up with a skin infection. Got pretty bad. Doctor ended up cutting into the area and added a dressing so it could heal from the inside out. Had to go to nurses clinic to have it changed every few days. Not sure if that is the same, but any scrape or scratch of the skin needs to be cleaned up right away and covered up to protect from any skin infections. I did not take those precautions. Hope all goes well and your kid heals up quickly.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Defty » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:11 pm

svalcat05 wrote:So i have a question about an injury my daughter incurred 1 1/2 week ago. She is about 5'4" 120 pds and a great slider.

She came into home plate belly down and at the same time a knee hit causing a type of road rash on the knee cap face. it was about the size of a quarter. nothing deep either. just a lite dirt burn or like a carpet burn actually
The next day she said i must of hit my knee sliding in cuz its sore. I look and its not swollen and shes moving fine. Just the little dirt burn. that night she wakes up saying her knee is burning bad enough she was up for the past hour. so i get her pain relieve, neo ointment and cold pack. its better.
that morning i look and its starting to swell. dirt burn is there, but not bleeding or anything. actually looks like its healed almost completly. we doctor it up and go on.
third day we look its very swollen she has pain to touch of the skin well above and below knee. but she is moving it fine. its burning again. she says a little inside but mostly on skin area where the now going backwards dirt burn is crusty and around edges like a week old scab. same routine as we think its still superficial, in a bending hit often area.
then the 4th day its getting icky and a new spot size of a pin head is developing under the old burn.
(yes everyone your thinking why hasnt this lady taken her kid to dr, give me a second)
now we are into the weekend and at work she gets tapped in the knee by a drawer. she said the first dirt burn exploded with puss, oil fluid and blood. i look and its inflammed and a very red outer circle has formed also has fever in the knee.
so im gonna take her the next day to doctor. nope she says its fine just the skin is tight around scab. i look its not swollen and redness and fever are gone. ok
well then the lil spot oozes some puss.
she wont take off work to go to dr yet. then says its ok its just healing.
today she says my knee oozed puss today. its back to red and scabbing. lil swollen.

So has anyone had a inside out injury? because ive never heard of a internal injury oozing puss to the outter part of the body when no actual deep cut or incision happened. it was just barely dirt burned.

yes we are going to the doctor. but just was curious if another has dealt with it.

It wouldn't make sense for this to be an "inside out" infection because some foreign substance would have had to be introduced. How could your body infect itself? Sounds like the wound was not cleaned deep enough/properly.

There is very likely dirt remaining in there
Defty
Premium Member
Premium Member

by svalcat05 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:52 pm

We did apply the correct med. aide.
Ie flushed, iodine, Neosporene and covered
What I mean by inside out is; could a blunt force to a part of the body damage the underlying tissue or muscle or tendons that it become infected. Causing the puss to come to surface.
I'm sure it is a skin infection.
I'll let ya know this week
svalcat05

by bryantlloyd » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:13 pm

svalcat05 wrote:We did apply the correct med. aide.
What I mean by inside out is; could a blunt force to a part of the body damage the underlying tissue or muscle or tendons that it become infected. Causing the puss to come to surface.

Go get an MRI.
bryantlloyd

by eclipse09 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:41 pm

svalcat05 wrote:We did apply the correct med. aide.

Any updates?
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions