Covid at USA Preps

What's on your mind?

by Rebelwithkidz » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:06 am

Rebelwithkidz
Premium Member
Premium Member

by newbie101 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:46 am

What did they think would happen?
They say they shut the one complex down, but how many others were that family in contact with, Hotels, restaurant, stores
etc,,,
It just makes no sense to host something like this when the biggest promoters in the game, PGF & TCS have cancelled all of their big events in the region. Also makes on wonder why teams would feel compelled to attend during this time as well.
I did read another story where a concerned parent coming to this event had called ahead to the City of St George and was worried but told them they were afraid they would be kicked off the team if they did not attend.
newbie101
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DSoftball14/16U » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:51 am

On the positive test it’s also on the parents fault because if you were worried you might have it why go and play with the uncertainty I’m all for playing games or even tournaments with no more than 30 teams max total but if you feel sick or worried you might have it stay home
DSoftball14/16U
Premium Member
Premium Member

by gallgu » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:41 pm

DSoftball14/16U wrote:On the positive test it’s also on the parents fault because if you were worried you might have it why go and play with the uncertainty I’m all for playing games or even tournaments with no more than 30 teams max total but if you feel sick or worried you might have it stay home

I am willing to bet there are a number of people there positive for covid who are just not saying anything. Just like that guy who knowingly spread covid at that party. They are willing to risk other peoples lives just to play softball.
gallgu
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Melissar305 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Well, well, well, who would have thought? You bring together 7 or 8 dozen teams from COVID ravaged Southern CA, and put them in an environment with some or the biggest self-absorbed know-it-all helicopter parents that you would never hope to meet, and expect to come out of it unscathed? That experiment was tried about a month ago in Modesto and it didn't work out too well for Stanislaus County. Their COVID rate spiked 2 weeks later. Expect the same in St George in a few weeks. .

You nutcases down in Southern CA had better get your heads out of your ass and learn that this pandemic is real, and isn't going to go away as long as people continue to act like you do, which is irresponsible and selfish. To the Class of 2021, keep doing what you are doing, and you too won't be playing high school softball next spring or having a commencement ceremony either.

Why? Because your parents are ASSHOLES! They think sneaking in a friendly here and there, trying to evade the authorities, is in YOUR best interest. It's not. They are pushing you to play softball during this pandemic for THEM, not you. They wanted scout's from Glendale & Barstow Community Colleges to see if you could hit the outside riseball, so they trekked 390 miles to Southwest Utah to make that happen. When you are sitting out the 2021 spring season, ask yourself, "Was it worth it?" .
Melissar305

by Schmick » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:44 pm

What makes you think the player who tested positive came from Southern California?

2 of the lower seeded pools in 18U were playing at that park. Teams from Idaho, Reno, Vegas, No Cal, Central Cal, Salt Lake City...were amongst those 16 teams.
The article did not state where the player with the positive test came from.
Do you know where that player is from or are you just assuming it was someone from Southern California?
How do you assume something like that and still call others assholes?
I assume you're a cunt
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by newbie101 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:07 pm

It does not matter where the player came from, USA Preps & Firecrackers-Sean Brashear should not have had such an event during this time. They put their own financial interest above the public health & the sport.
All of the other large scale events have cancelled & rightfully so. Lets just hope that this does not turn into anything worse.
Per the CDC if we all just sit on our hands and avoid crowds, wear face masks & wash our hands this thing would be nipped in the bud with in a month or so. The problem is as a society we simply refuse to follow simple guidelines. My 2 cents....
newbie101
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Melissar305 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:10 pm

Schmick wrote:What makes you think the player who tested positive came from Southern California?

2 of the lower seeded pools in 18U were playing at that park. Teams from Idaho, Reno, Vegas, No Cal, Central Cal, Salt Lake City...were amongst those 16 teams.
Do you know where that player is from or are you just assuming it was someone from Southern California?
I assume you're a cunt

How DARE you use the C -word in a family forum where there are ladies present! You sir are a sociopath and quite possibly a sexual deviant, much like your fuhrer Donald Trump. You know how 2+2 = 4? Well, ANY parent that would allow their child to particpate in 144 team Coronafest is an asshole. It's a mathematical equation. Had you completed your GED you might have known that.

Regardless, a sociopath like you has no business participating in this community softball forum. I'm compelled to write the administrator and request that he ban you for your misogynistic comments about women. I pray to our Lord and Savior that you don't have any children. With a father like you, who needs enemies? What a Schmuck!
Melissar305

by dthomca » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:24 pm

I'm one of the "assholes" that was there and my daughter's team is one that got shut down. In my opinion USA Preps put together a well organized, well thought out showcase in this environment. They did their best to isolate exposure, keeping pools of teams (and umpires) at a single location for the duration, actively policing any spectators behind backstops, restricting access to bleachers and putting non-active players in the bleachers once dugout capacity was reached, etc. Once the positive test was reported, they swiftly informed all teams involved and, after some back and forth, ultimately closed the facility and cancelled all subsequent games at that park. I don't think that their motives are completely absent of financial incentive, but they also didn't strong-arm 160+ teams into participating - all went in knowing the potential for exposure and clearly felt that enough protocols were in place to manage the risk (no, I don't work for them nor does my daughter play for one of Hansen's teams, and the GED wasn't required for the Master's program I completed....).

That being said, the issue currently at hand is not the possible exposure to potentially infected participants; it is the blatant, intentional, selfish disregard to the rules of the tournament and willful exposure of other participants by a KNOWINGLY EXPOSED player (and their parents) that ultimately affected ~1800 people.

Please understand these facts:
* this player (a minor) was tested on Sunday or Monday (we were told it was 5 days previous to the report)
* this player or parents apparently did not inform their coach or teammates
* this player (and parents) consciously chose to travel to and participate in this event while awaiting their results instead of quarantining themselves until they received the results as directed.

I think it's fair to say that the player likely had enough symptoms to prompt a test to start with (and had to do so with their parent's consent), so this was in no way unintentional.

Unfortunately we as a country missed our opportunity to contain this virus due to inconsistent protocols and other factors which discussion of would deviate from the point at hand; therefore, we are going to have to learn to manage this as a society, because it's not going away anytime soon. In order for a society to function, we all must abide to an implicit social contract which ultimately boils down to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" (as applied in this case, that would be "don't show up at a softball game and run around with a bunch of other kids if you're awaiting results for a test to see if you're infected with a virus currently causing a worldwide pandemic"). We are where we are with this virus largely because of the unwillingness of some to acknowledge and follow basic guidelines that show respect for your fellow citizen (see elsewhere on this board for debates ad nauseam re: mask wearing, various governors, and civil liberties) and can/may help reduce the spread (again, not gonna debate that here,..). What is on a totally different level of irresponsibility is knowing that you're sick enough to get a test but still deciding that you're going to put your desires above others' well being. This makes no sense to me - most have figured out not to take their kid to a game when they have the chicken pox (which we have a vaccine for) or pneumonia or even a high fever… why is it a mystery that we should do the same with regards to a virus with a relatively high mortality rate? Until we can collectively figure out how to act in what should be fairly obvious situations, either we quit playing softball (and participating in several other activities, like going out to dinner) altogether or what happened at USA Preps is likely part of the "new normal".
Last edited by dthomca on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dthomca
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SDTitans » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:26 pm

Melissar305 wrote:
Schmick wrote:What makes you think the player who tested positive came from Southern California?

I assume you're a cunt

How DARE you use the C -word in a family forum where there are ladies present! You sir are a sociopath and quite possibly a sexual deviant, much like your fuhrer Donald Trump. You know how 2+2 = 4? Well, ANY parent that would allow their child to particpate in 144 team Coronafest is an asshole. It's a mathematical equation. Had you completed your GED you might have known that.

Regardless, a sociopath like you has no business participating in this community softball forum. I'm compelled to write the administrator and request that he ban you for your misogynistic comments about women. I pray to our Lord and Savior that you don't have any children. With a father like you, who needs enemies? What a Schmuck!

When you can use derogatory words towards another and then pretend you are offended. Seems you being called that is rather true..
SDTitans
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions