Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Best College Softball Programs No One Talks About

What's on your mind?

by dusty » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:58 pm

WhoMe wrote:
dusty wrote:It's the difference in terminology that causes confusion everywhere softball is discussed on the internet.

What you posted are the P5 rules for "athletic scholarships" but what my kid has is a "athletic grant-in-aid". All the P5 teams have 12 full four year guaranteed scholarships and some combo of grant/academic/etc. funding. If all they had were the 12 four year guaranteed athletic scholarships than rosters would be a lot smaller even after accounting for the pure walk-ons who aren't getting anything.

Athletic Grant in Aid is the scholarship and, as Spaz said, P5 coaches can not reduce or revoke a student athletes scholarship (GIA) unless a player repeatedly violates written team rules, is rendered academically ineligible or is no longer enrolled.

Most D1 schools outside of the P5 are pretty strict with their coaches on why they can reduce or revoke as well.

Lol, ok dude. I guess I either don't know my own kid's college financing or her school is in blatant violation of conference rules. If it's the later please don't report us to the comish, we've got a young team but we really think we have a chance to make some noise next year.
dusty

by Melissar305 » Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:57 pm

I may owe an apology to Spazsdad. I didn't know about the relatively new 2015 rule that applied to P5 teams regarding athletic scholarships. I got my information last summer at a parent/team meeting that was conducted by former member of the 2002 NCAA Champion Cal Bears. She was a part of that team on a full-ride scholarship.

The purpose of the meeting was to share her experiences as a scholarship athlete with the parents and players, and she didn't make it sound like a day at the beach. Two things stood out, at least in my mind. She had to work to hold onto her scholarship through an injury, and they pretty much managed her schedule and owned her time. She didn't mention the rule change that guaranteed tuition for the remainder of the athlete's college tenure. My bad.

On another note, I would like to thank Melissar305 for keeping this forum alive. Today some grifter tried to come in here and hawk some ammunition and other commodities, trying to use The Bucket as if it were QVC. You my lady are keeping the true softball enthusiasts engaged in stimulating and intellectual conversation, not just about softball, but politics and other relevant topics as well. On behalf of the entire group, I'd like to offer our sincere gratitude and say "Thank you!"
Melissar305

by Schmick » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:04 am

Melissar305 wrote:
dusty wrote:Now I remember my dd saying she got a handwritten letter from Coach Troyan from the airport after IDT when he knew she was highly likely to commit elsewhere (he joked with the coach she committed to, never took it personally). The other thing that makes Troyan an exception in college coaching is that if he promises your dd money he won't pull it from her to give to the next bright, shiny prospect or potential transfer recruit that comes along afterwards.

There are some TB coaches on The Bucket who believe that athletic scholarships for equivalency sports, like softball, are guaranteed for the entire tenure of a student athlete's college experience. Thank you for bringing a much needed moment of clarity to The Bucket.

That depends on the University. Some Universities, the one I went to in fact, will not pull a scholarship from a player over on the field results or medical.hardships and will honor the scholarahip offered the student for up to 6 years. They turn the scholarship in to a grant so the student can finish their education. It is a P5 school but one without a softball program though
The NCAA rule though is that a scholarship is a year to year contract between the school and the student athlete
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:01 am

Spazsdad wrote:
Melissar305 wrote:
On another note, I would like to thank Melissar305 for keeping this forum alive. Today some grifter tried to come in here and hawk some ammunition and other commodities, trying to use The Bucket as if it were QVC. You my lady are keeping the true softball enthusiasts engaged in stimulating and intellectual conversation, not just about softball, but politics and other relevant topics as well. On behalf of the entire group, I'd like to offer our sincere gratitude and say "Thank you!"

You are thanking yourself?

It's a sockpuppet.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Els489 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:41 pm

Love the banter. Let me ask a side question. Our team may move up to 18U because we have a couple girls who are aging out. For recruiting purposes, does it matter if they play 16U or 18U or just that they are an '04 or '03?

Thanks!
Els489
Premium Member
Premium Member

by orange socks » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:51 am

Spazsdad wrote:Colleges only care what year they graduate. If they want to see a kid they will come to their games

True. No college has ever said, Why aren't you playing 16U because that's where I recruit. All levels of coaches still recruit at 18U and it has been that way for a long time.
orange socks

by WhoMe » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:02 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Colleges only care what year they graduate. If they want to see a kid they will come to their games

I disagree, they also want to know the important stuff on profiles like how they won their 4th grade spelling bee and made kindergarten honor roll. :lol: :lol:
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions