Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

I thought this was a good read.....

What's on your mind?

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:50 pm

There's Chin...... I knew he was still around LOL!!! Hey Chin, Masters is next month are you feeling the itch???
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Tue Aug 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Let’s clear out the senior homes for a tournament. Doesn’t sound like a good idea currently.
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Assassin » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:41 am

Capone wrote:Did your DD see the three coaches at the same time? if so, did she have issues keeping information straight?

Only went to one at a time at different ages and skill levels.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:45 am

In 6 years of pitching lessons I've not heard any of those terms. Course I'm not in the cage or really even close enough to hear everything being said.

I have a few questions for the pitching coaches here.

1. How long should a pitcher go to the same coach before changes are made?

2. Is it normal for a pitcher to lose velo as she grows? For example my pitcher could routinely hit 60-61 MPH at age 13. Now at age 15 she is only hitting 57-59 MPH. Her coach says she's too tight and over thinking, Im hoping she just isn't tuning the coach out and regressing.

3. Would pitching coaches be upset if one of their students worked with other pitching coaches from time to time to maybe emphasize something the normal pitching coach hasn't emphasized?
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:06 pm

Schmick wrote:In 6 years of pitching lessons I've not heard any of those terms. Course I'm not in the cage or really even close enough to hear everything being said.

2. Is it normal for a pitcher to lose velo as she grows? For example my pitcher could routinely hit 60-61 MPH at age 13. Now at age 15 she is only hitting 57-59 MPH. Her coach says she's too tight and over thinking, Im hoping she just isn't tuning the coach out and regressing.

3. Would pitching coaches be upset if one of their students worked with other pitching coaches from time to time to maybe emphasize something the normal pitching coach hasn't emphasized?

1.) If your kid is progressing and being taught the same mechanics you see the top pitchers in the world doing then no need to switch ever!!! If she is not progressing then you need to evaluate what she is doing and being taught and possibly move on!

2.) .........See answer #1

3.) Personally I think going to multi coaches is a bad thing I say find one hear what he or she has to say and if it makes sense and they can demonstrate what they teach then go with it. However if they cannot demonstrate what they show or cannot make the ball spin in the correct direction then move on!! Thats my .02
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Assassin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:07 pm

Schmick wrote:In 6 years of pitching lessons I've not heard any of those terms. Course I'm not in the cage or really even close enough to hear everything being said.

1. I moved mine when I felt she had reached a plateau for a relatively long period of time or if I felt she needed to work on a specific pitch which was a specialty of a certain pitching coach. For the top level coaches, you can wait quite some time before being afforded a spot in their schedule.

2. Could be a sign of overuse. I'd have her shoulder checked.

3. Don't know, but I know that top pitchers do seek help from multiple instructors.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 110% » Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:17 pm

Sounds like dead arm. Overuse.
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:15 pm

Certainly isn't dead arm, with covid canceling the HS season and all of the travel ball this summer, she has pitched less than 20 innings of ball since Halloween 2019
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:24 pm

My kid reached low 60s, but lost her main pitching coach due to an illness. She went to one of his mentors and did pretty well, but suffered an arm injury and has pitched only a few innings of college (luckily she can play outfield and hit). Not sure if it was changing coaches or arm injury, but her speed was getting much better with the top coach and lessened after moving on.

Does she do weights and leg strengthening exercises? Mine lagged a bit on that and I think that has something to do with her changes. Any thoughts about working out helping or hurting speed?

One other thing is my kid stopped growing about the same time as her speed topped out and went down. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Schmick » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:10 am

eclipse09 wrote:My kid reached low 60s, but lost her main pitching coach due to an illness. She went to one of his mentors and did pretty well, but suffered an arm injury and has pitched only a few innings of college (luckily she can play outfield and hit). Not sure if it was changing coaches or arm injury, but her speed was getting much better with the top coach and lessened after moving on.

Does she do weights and leg strengthening exercises? Mine lagged a bit on that and I think that has something to do with her changes. Any thoughts about working out helping or hurting speed?

One other thing is my kid stopped growing about the same time as her speed topped out and went down. Not sure if that has anything to do with it.

The weight training is a possibility, she was on a team that sent her to EM Speed and Power 3 days a week to work out. The team she went to doesn't have the EM deal so she did stop doing that. Perhaps I will see about signing her back up for it
Schmick
Premium Member
Premium Member

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions