Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Is high school team a "must" to play in college?

What's on your mind?

by dusty » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:29 pm

There was a poster on this site back in the day, can't remember who, that used to say college softball is like "travel ball on steroids". Now that my kid is in it I would amend that statement to read, "college ball is like all the best and worst elements of high school and travel ball on steroids".

Most college coaches probably don't care about HS ball but there's a chance that the coach at the college your kid really wants to go to does so if it's just a matter of players don't care/daddyball coach/etc. I would advise my kid to play. An AC for my kid's college came to watch her in HS and the HC came to her HS senior night.
dusty

by eclipse09 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:59 pm

Spazsdad wrote:If you are not playing HS ball because of a conflict with another activity it’s probably no big deal. But it would be a bit of a red flag to a coach knowing she didn’t play because she didn’t like her teammates or coaches.
What does that say about her adaptability and flexibility with situations she doesn’t control. What happens if she get to college and doesn’t like her teammates? What if she doesn’t particularly care for members of the coaching staff?
Probably not the end of the world but could give a coach pause when considering her.

Spaz nailed it from the start. Just answered the questioned and gave repercussions plus some what ifs to ponder.

I know based on my kids experience the coach recruiting her asked a lot of high school questions and wanted to know her stats like did she make all-league, what end of year awards did she receive and how was hitting against a variety of pitching.
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:06 pm

Els489 wrote:Love the responses! To clarify, she IS going to play HS ball. Was just curious about college recruiting in case she didn't. The problem with her team is mainly the girls don't take it as serious as she does. She is one of only a handful of travel players and she takes softball seriously. Combine that with some "daddy ball" and you can see why she isn't thrilled. She understand the situation and how it can look to college coaches so she is going to rise above.

Thanks again.

Glad you likes ALL of the responses!! I tend to relay experiences my kid went through and hope someone is in the same situation and will benefit from my posts. Daddy ball is very tough in any level of softball from rec to travel to high school, but I will say even travel and college coaches play favorites (yes I am aware most coaches say they favor the hard worker, but I am talking about coaches that tend to be new and not as experienced) so getting a chance to experience a not-so-great situation will only make your DD better.

Good luck this season!!!
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TheTownUSA » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:39 pm

We've got some wannabe Sherlock Holmes gracing The Bucket tonight! Who's your Watson, Mr Cancel Culture?
TheTownUSA

by Chin Music » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Going to be waiting a while for that .
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Melissar305 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:35 pm

Hey y'all! Just checking in cause I heard some of you were missing my luvin! I knew it was only a matter of time before you'd be begging me to return. Let's be honest, what would this message board be without my insightful wisdom and witty banter? So what have I missed? I don't have time to read all of the pointless drivel by the usual suspects. I heard there might be someone trying to imitate me. That ain't going to happen. I also saw someone tried to steal my idea about naming a team the Corona Virus. Too late, I've already trademarked and registered that name with all of the appropriate authorities. Even so, I have no doubt people will ignore it and start referring to the Corona Angels as the Corona Virus. That's just the way it is when people have no integrity or appreciation for the creative impulse that it took for me to come up with that catchy name. Go ahead. Until I get my team together you have my permission to refer to the Angels as the Virus. It's a little challenging under these trying circumstances, so it may take a little longer than expected. Probably won't happen until after we have real leadership in the White House. And don't forget to vote in November. Elections have consequences and competent government REALLY DOES MATTER! It all boils down to this: do you want to see your daughters play organized softball again during the next four years, or not? It's all going to come down to how you vote in November. And don't forget to keep your powder dry. Melissa out!
Melissar305

by Blind Assassin » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:32 pm

TheTownUSA wrote:
Under the Radar wrote:Unless your HS team is very competitive, I have been told by many College Coaches it does not matter. So long as the player is working out. Lets face it 60% to 80% of HS ball is just not that competitive nor does it have that strong of coaching.

It's nice to see that at least one other person in this forum is reality-based and gets it. Do you know what's kind of sad? A guy that has been a member of The Bucket since 2015, stumbles into this forum to ask a legit question, and immediately gets hit by the same three highly unqualified answers. There was no attempt to better understand the situation. They just wanted to rush to deliver a bunch of useless drivel, maybe to make themselves feel relevant.

The truth is, there are a LOT of legitimate reasons why a travel ball player may not want to play for her high school team. As I stated earlier, maybe the coach is only doing it for the money and the girls are only coming out to qualify for a PE credit, but none of them have any ambition or talent to play the game above 12U rec ball level. Some of you may not want to hear this, but there are some coaches out there that are world class douchebags. Hell, that may even apply to some of you. Nobody wants to play for a self-absorbed douchebag who thinks the game is all about them. I've seen that coach more than once, so I know they are not an anomaly.

Yes, having a great pitcher is a blessing, but in travel ball, if you only have one ace pitcher, you are not going to be very competitive in tournaments. The catcher IS the quarterback of the team, and has WAY MORE responsibility than any other position player on the team. A shortstop may only touch the ball three or four times in one game, but a catcher is literally in on EVERY pitch of the game. I can't believe so many of you need this explained for you.

One thing is for certain, with resident geniuses like the three that jumped in to answer this guy's question with a bunch of fluffy nonsense, I doubt he will be coming back anytime soon with another question of any importance. Come on guys, MAKE THE BUCKET GREAT AGAIN! You can do better! #MBGA

Not really true. They don't call defenses that aren't relayed to them from the dugout. They don't really call pitches at all. They relay the pitch called by the bench, set up in the appropriate spot, and catch the ball. They have to block an occasional pitch, a good one will establish a rapport with HP, they back up 1B on ground balls with nobody on base. They may have a play at the plate every other game. Might even have to try and throw out a runner stealing, but the other IF's have to catch the ball and tag the runner. You might try watching a game every once in a while. They do way more than OF's but not way more than IF. They certainly aren't comparable to QB's.....more like a Guard.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by WhoMe » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:38 pm

Melissar305 wrote:Hey y'all! Just checking in cause I heard some of you were missing my luvin! I knew it was only a matter of time before you'd be begging me to return. Let's be honest, what would this message board be without my insightful wisdom and witty banter? So what have I missed? I don't have time to read all of the pointless drivel by the usual suspects. I heard there might be someone trying to imitate me. That ain't going to happen. I also saw someone tried to steal my idea about naming a team the Corona Virus. Too late, I've already trademarked and registered that name with all of the appropriate authorities. Even so, I have no doubt people will ignore it and start referring to the Corona Angels as the Corona Virus. That's just the way it is when people have no integrity or appreciation for the creative impulse that it took for me to come up with that catchy name. Go ahead. Until I get my team together you have my permission to refer to the Angels as the Virus. It's a little challenging under these trying circumstances, so it may take a little longer than expected. Probably won't happen until after we have real leadership in the White House. And don't forget to vote in November. Elections have consequences and competent government REALLY DOES MATTER! It all boils down to this: do you want to see your daughters play organized softball again during the next four years, or not? It's all going to come down to how you vote in November. And don't forget to keep your powder dry. Melissa out!

SO you are saying recall Newsom. TOTALLY AGREE
WhoMe
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Melissar305 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:35 pm

WhoMe wrote:
Melissar305 wrote:Hey y'all! Just checking in cause I heard some of you were missing my luvin! I knew it was only a matter of time before you'd be begging me to return. Let's be honest, what would this message board be without my insightful wisdom and witty banter? So what have I missed? I don't have time to read all of the pointless drivel by the usual suspects. I heard there might be someone trying to imitate me. That ain't going to happen. I also saw someone tried to steal my idea about naming a team the Corona Virus. Too late, I've already trademarked and registered that name with all of the appropriate authorities. Even so, I have no doubt people will ignore it and start referring to the Corona Angels as the Corona Virus. That's just the way it is when people have no integrity or appreciation for the creative impulse that it took for me to come up with that catchy name. Go ahead. Until I get my team together you have my permission to refer to the Angels as the Virus. It's a little challenging under these trying circumstances, so it may take a little longer than expected. Probably won't happen until after we have real leadership in the White House. And don't forget to vote in November. Elections have consequences and competent government REALLY DOES MATTER! It all boils down to this: do you want to see your daughters play organized softball again during the next four years, or not? It's all going to come down to how you vote in November. And don't forget to keep your powder dry. Melissa out!

SO you are saying recall Newsom. TOTALLY AGREE

It will be a cold day in hell before the honorable Governor Newsom is recalled from office. Best governor this state has seen since Jerry Brown. More likely he will be Kamala Harris' running mate in 2024. Yeah, you heard it here first, just like with the Corona Virus. That was MY idea.
Melissar305

by Melissar305 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:46 pm

So who all has signed up for the Surf City September Start Up? They're filling spots up fast, so y'all better get your teams registered while you can. They're offering an early bird special of $725 if you register before 9/26. Who's in?
Last edited by Melissar305 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melissar305

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions