Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Used Car Salesman Tactics

What's on your mind?

by TheTownUSA » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:50 am

I was hoping to get some feedback from experienced fastpitch coaches who take this game seriously. What are your thoughts about a coach or organization that tells a girl and her family that they need an answer within 24 hours as to whether or not they want to accept a position on their roster? We've encountered this twice in the past two weeks. Am I wrong, or does that come off a little bit like used car salesman tactics? Is this the norm for 16U & 18U? Your feedback is appreciated.
TheTownUSA

by 3BB » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:31 pm

TheTownUSA wrote:I was hoping to get some feedback from experienced fastpitch coaches who take this game seriously. What are your thoughts about a coach or organization that tells a girl and her family that they need an answer within 24 hours as to whether or not they want to accept a position on their roster? We've encountered this twice in the past two weeks. Am I wrong, or does that come off a little bit like used car salesman tactics? Is this the norm for 16U & 18U? Your feedback is appreciated.

Couple of questions for you:

Aren't you the one who went to his tryout to be on his team, so why are you not committing? How long do you think is a reasonable time for a coach to wait for you to make a decision? Doesn't he have to fill his roster? What if his second and third choice choose another team because he was waiting on you? Are you hoping to get on a better team?
3BB
Premium Member
Premium Member

by BB12 » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:21 pm

Perfectly normal practice, especially if you drove up in a Tesla or any european sports car or SUV

Were the coaches wearing white belts and shoes when they asked?

If so, then yes be careful

If they were wearing turf shoes, lame team logo gear and had either an enormous gut, chewed tobacco, talked about their former players killing it in the JUCO ranks, while taking dry swings with a personalized fungo bat, then you may have found your next team

If they were men wearing leggings you are in Northern California and you should probably move.

Last if the team had any of the following attached to their name: Select, Elite, Premier, or Gold.run dont walk
BB12
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TheTownUSA » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:46 pm

All valid questions, but let me ask you this. When a college coach makes an offer to a prospect to play for their team, even after courting them for maybe a year or longer, do they typically make it conditional on a verbal commitment by noon tomorrow, or do they give them a couple of days to talk it through with their parents?

My experience has been that when someone asks you to commit to something on the spot, without knowing exactly what you are committing to, like how much the fees will be, what is their goal for the upcoming summer season, what their practice schedule will be during the winter months, what level and number of tournaments or showcases they intend to play, or other important details, it kind of raises a red flag.

I'm just asking if it's standard operating procedure for travel ball coaches at the 18U level to demand a verbal commitment on the same day of the tryout? Truth be told, sometimes kids do want to tryout for more than one team, just like they may want to apply to multiple colleges. Who accepts a marriage proposal after one blind date?
TheTownUSA

by TheTownUSA » Wed Dec 02, 2020 2:10 pm

BB12 wrote:Perfectly normal practice, especially if you drove up in a Tesla or any european sports car or SUV

Were the coaches wearing white belts and shoes when they asked?

If so, then yes be careful

If they were wearing turf shoes, lame team logo gear and had either an enormous gut, chewed tobacco, talked about their former players killing it in the JUCO ranks, while taking dry swings with a personalized fungo bat, then you may have found your next team

If they were men wearing leggings you are in Northern California and you should probably move.

Last if the team had any of the following attached to their name: Select, Elite, Premier, or Gold.run dont walk

Where have you been? This place has been a goddamned morgue for the past 9 months. Your return gives me hope that there may be a ray of light at the end of this darkness. Kind of like that final scene in "The Perfect Storm", where Marky Mark and George Clooney see that brief flash of sun light off in the distance, right before their boat gets rocked by a giant wave and they both become fish food. Don't be a stranger.
Last edited by TheTownUSA on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheTownUSA

by Blind Assassin » Wed Dec 02, 2020 3:09 pm

TheTownUSA wrote:All valid questions, but let me ask you this. When a college coach makes an offer to a prospect to play for their team, even after courting them for maybe a year or longer, do they typically make it conditional on a verbal commitment by noon tomorrow, or do they give them a couple of days to talk it through with their parents?

My experience has been that when someone asks you to commit to something on the spot, without knowing exactly what you are committing to, like how much the fees will be, what is their goal for the upcoming summer season, what their practice schedule will be during the winter months, what level and number of tournaments or showcases they intend to play, or other important details, it kind of raises a red flag.

I'm just asking if it's standard operating procedure for travel ball coaches at the 18U level to demand a verbal commitment on the same day of the tryout? Truth be told, sometimes kids do want to tryout for more than one team, just like they may want to apply to multiple colleges. Who accepts a marriage proposal after one blind date?

Normally, the time allotted for commitment is proportional to the talent of the player. The better the player, the more time one would allow.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by SDTitans » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:31 pm

I have never given a player a time limit once we offered them a spot, but then again I am not some used car salesman like most of the fat bloated asswipes that coach and promise a stud the world. I have enough confidence to be able to recruit another player if that one doesn't commit.. Parents should be asking how long kids have been on the team more than one season? what is the turnover rate , If he has a high turn over of players from season to season.. flip them off and run. All they care about is the W and will use and abuse the kids and replace them in a heartbeat...,If the coach was that desperate to fill the position when you tried out, waiting a few days is a no big deal.. Plus coaches like that are always recruiting and lying to parents to secure the next stud for a few wins until the parents wise up and bail on them..
SDTitans
Premium Member
Premium Member

by TheTownUSA » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:32 pm

SDTitans wrote:I have never given a player a time limit once we offered them a spot, but then again I am not some used car salesman like most of the fat bloated asswipes that coach and promise a stud the world. I have enough confidence to be able to recruit another player if that one doesn't commit.. Parents should be asking how long kids have been on the team more than one season? what is the turnover rate , If he has a high turn over of players from season to season.. flip them off and run. All they care about is the W and will use and abuse the kids and replace them in a heartbeat...,If the coach was that desperate to fill the position when you tried out, waiting a few days is a no big deal.. Plus coaches like that are always recruiting and lying to parents to secure the next stud for a few wins until the parents wise up and bail on them..

Amen to everything you said. You sound like a good coach that's respected by your players and their parents. Your coaching philosophy is what breeds loyalty.
TheTownUSA

by xyzdude » Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:31 am

Why would you attend a tryout if you did not already know the answers to those questions? I believe that by age 16/18U you should have a good idea of the talent level of your daughter and be trying to place her on a team that is a good fit for her aspirations, talent level and goals. Not a fan of attending open tryouts or cattle calls, it is much better to have a dialog with the coach, find out all of the information, and if a good fit attend a few training or practice sessions with the team to see if the vibe is right for your daughter.

Just my two cents...
xyzdude

by Blind Assassin » Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:46 pm

There are just as many parents that commit to teams and leave when a better opportunity arises......
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions