Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

To step or not to step, that is the question?!?!?

What's on your mind?

by skwiggy21 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:35 am

Great stuff here....love reading it. Just throwing my take in here as well regarding my daughter. She would take a stride with her stance and her timing was off a bit...began popping it up to second too much....weight too much on the front foot when making contact which would affect her mechanics (not really a seasoned coach so forgive me my lack of terms/knowledge). She worked with her hitting coach and tried taking away her stride and keeping her balance back. Tried that for awhile with no real results. My daughter said she feels she needs to stride for her timing so we got the VeloPRO harness (NOT trying to sell it here or advertise for any other reason other than it has TREMENDOUSLY helped my daughter). She has been using it for about a year now during her hitting lessons and at home. She has implemented her stride again while keeping her weight back...holy crap...she is hitting LC/RC gaps and has just improved overall with her weight transfer...even leading her travel team in average/hits/2nd in XBH....Thank goodness there are coaches out there that understand that it is not cookie cutter and that everyone has different as long as the basics are followed.
skwiggy21
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 110% » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:34 am

Remember, it's not about keeping the weight "back" it's about loading it back, exploding forward, but using the front leg as a brake to re-direct the energy from forward to rotational. The weight transfer should go back to a balanced or 50-50 distribution at contact. We don't want our nose over our toes, that's too far forward, but we don't want it back so as to lose that horsepower in our swing. Your hitters ear, shoulder, hip and knee should be in a straight line or very close at contact. Take a picture at contact and draw a vertical line starting at the ear. The body should rotate under the head, like the head is the axis. The more still the head, the better the hitter can see the ball.
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions