Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

To step or not to step, that is the question?!?!?

What's on your mind?

by Chin Music » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:34 am

So these big organizations that force kids to hit with them exclusively and change their technique so they look like the rest of the robots are not doing all of them a favor?
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 110% » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:41 pm

I don't want to speak about a coach I don't know or what they're teaching, and I'm not so egotistical to say that I know everything about hitting, so who knows, maybe I'm the wrong one, but I don't think so. My own girls were lucky, they went through the Batbusters and were never forced or mandated take lessons from anyone.

All I know is in my experience, hitters of all ages and levels of play should be taught what's best for them and I don't believe in cookie cutter coaching. That's why you see hundreds of variations of stances, strides, loads in the MLB or Elite Softball. There are certain skills that should remain the same across the board, but as long as their technique fits within the box of what's right, allow them to develop mechanics that are best for them as an individual.

As a Coach, I could care less where a player goes for lessons, if they don't produce on game day they don't play. If they don't like not hitting or not playing, change hitting coaches. I assume the players mandated to take lessons within their organization get something out of the lessons, if nothing else, maybe confidence which is a key ingredient to hitting.

It's not the kids that work the hardest that play, the best players that play. Travel ball, College Ball and eventually in their Careers, the best play, the best get jobs and the best get the promotions. If you're not playing and you're working hard, doing your best, figure out how to get better. Get better coaching or figure out how you can improve.
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Chin Music » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:02 am

Agree 110%. Different strokes for different folks.
Not my way or the highway approach!
Chin Music
Premium Member
Premium Member

by skwiggy21 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:35 am

Great stuff here....love reading it. Just throwing my take in here as well regarding my daughter. She would take a stride with her stance and her timing was off a bit...began popping it up to second too much....weight too much on the front foot when making contact which would affect her mechanics (not really a seasoned coach so forgive me my lack of terms/knowledge). She worked with her hitting coach and tried taking away her stride and keeping her balance back. Tried that for awhile with no real results. My daughter said she feels she needs to stride for her timing so we got the VeloPRO harness (NOT trying to sell it here or advertise for any other reason other than it has TREMENDOUSLY helped my daughter). She has been using it for about a year now during her hitting lessons and at home. She has implemented her stride again while keeping her weight back...holy crap...she is hitting LC/RC gaps and has just improved overall with her weight transfer...even leading her travel team in average/hits/2nd in XBH....Thank goodness there are coaches out there that understand that it is not cookie cutter and that everyone has different as long as the basics are followed.
skwiggy21
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 110% » Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:34 am

Remember, it's not about keeping the weight "back" it's about loading it back, exploding forward, but using the front leg as a brake to re-direct the energy from forward to rotational. The weight transfer should go back to a balanced or 50-50 distribution at contact. We don't want our nose over our toes, that's too far forward, but we don't want it back so as to lose that horsepower in our swing. Your hitters ear, shoulder, hip and knee should be in a straight line or very close at contact. Take a picture at contact and draw a vertical line starting at the ear. The body should rotate under the head, like the head is the axis. The more still the head, the better the hitter can see the ball.
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions