Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Switch hitting

What's on your mind?

by yourcarman » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:53 am

My daughter is a middle of the field player with a ton of speed, if she is anything like her brother who is a college CF baseball player she will be really fast as she gets older...
All the travel coaches say to keep her on the left side and become the total packge lefty... She is a natural righty and is a high average hitter now in travel. When she was really young, coming from a baseball family, her being the youngest, I made her switch hit till she was about 8 up until being told there is absolutely no use for switch hitting in softball, and to force her on the left side.

Her coach now is working with her on lefty, and letting her change in th emiddle of the at bat and he is very accomodating to this trial run... My ultimate question is, do you think I should continue working both sides?

Thank you in advance
yourcarman
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 110% » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:22 pm

No. No need to switch hit in softball. Get proficient on the left side it's all she needs
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

by eclipse09 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:38 pm

Agree with 110. All of the girls who played with my kids that stuck with slapping (they are also very fast) have gone on to play at some level in college. Stick with lefty and make sure she can hit a fast ball.... ;)
eclipse09
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Backnine » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:26 am

Just curious. When would she switch in the middle of an AB. Go righty when she has 2 strikes?
Backnine
Premium Member
Premium Member

by 110% » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:49 pm

Never switch. That teaches her she's got a crutch. Stay in there and expect success. Moving righty is giving up. A strikeout or whatever happens isn't a big deal. Failure is part of success. Suck it up and get better. And think of the confidence boost if she gets a hit lefty with 2 strikes.
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions