Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible
 

Fastpitch Discussions

A note to pitchers parents

What's on your mind?

by Blind Assassin » Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:30 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:
Blind Assassin wrote:
curveballerguy124 wrote:
Blind Assassin wrote:For Osterman and Abbott I wouldn't consider illegal leaping as demonstrating proper mechanics. In the end, mechanics are important, but battling overuse is of utmost importance. Don't let your kid throw more than one game per weekend. Don't have them practice pitching daily. Give them at least three months off every year. Let your kid be a kid.


Osterman and Abbot have amazing mechanics and that should not be overshadowed by their "leaping" they play ISC international rules so what they do in international play is perfectly legal. Moreover, the "leaping" has no effect on their mechanics whatsoever nor does it change their mechanics in any way shape or form. They are just allowed to become more aggressive on their push offs which as a result the pivot foot sometimes losses contact with the ground.

Nonetheless both had stellar collegiate careers at Tennessee and Texas and pitched during a time when BOTH feet had to be on the rubber.....

I agree overuse can be an issue however, pitching with proper mechanics lessens the likelihood of overuse injuries at last n my opinion.


Your answer would be great IF you were teaching kids under ISC pitching rules. Leaping is illegal otherwise and holding two pitchers that cheated during their younger years as models of pitching mechanics doesn't speak well. The sad part is that they would have both been extremely good without cheating.

Dragging the push foot off of the pitchers plate vs. leaping from the pitchers plate is the definition of a change in mechanics. If it was no change or no advantage they wouldn't have cheated. By your definition they could easily have dragged and it wouldn't have changed their pitches at all.


I'm sure you have a vast knowledge of pitching from your many years of being on the mound.....However I still pitch mens fastpitch where I leap for the most part. However sometimes I drag just like the girls do because leaping is very tiring!!! Nonetheless, my "absolutes" don't change those are my mechanics, I still land with a firm front side, I still drive with a strong backside, my arm still brushes against my body at the point of release and my shoulder still rotates inward as I finish.....These very same things you can witness Osterman and Abbott doing flawlessly with every pitch!! Understand something none of that changes when I go from leaping to dragging or from dragging to leaping and from what I can tell none of that changes on them either.

If you would like a demonstration I am at The Softball workshop in Anaheim Mon. Wed and Thursday evenings come see for yourself I'll be glad to show you.

Nonetheless Osterman and Abbott have a picture perfect arm whip and proper throwing technique if they didnt I'm sure team USA would not have selected them to represent our country and they would have been labled cheaters!!


You pitch, I get it. I have eyes and I know the rules. Osterman and Abbott are leapers. They cheated in college and they cheated at the Olympics. Period. You site Garcia and are correct with her mechanics.

There are also differing opinions as to what actually constitutes proper mechanics. Pitching legally would be my #1 requirement. From there different piching coaches may have their own opinions. My kid went to pre-pedophile Mike Smith, Dave Lindsay, and Don Sarno. Her mechanics were excellent. I listened to knowledgeable softball folk that said that pitchers could throw an unlimited amount of pitches each day because throwing a softball was different than throwing a baseball. It was all bullshit. Prior to her shoulder operation my kid couldn't wash her own hair.

I don't doubt that you are an excellent pitcher and pitching coach and I think your opinion is valid. My opinion differs based upon my experiences and what I have seen in my 20+ years of coaching.
Attachments
garcia.jpg
Drag
garcia.jpg (14.71 KiB) Viewed 790 times
osterman.jpg
Leap and Re-plant
osterman.jpg (17.26 KiB) Viewed 790 times
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 am

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:39 pm

Pre-pedophile Mike Smith.....LMAO!!!! Had to go there huh? I get what you are saying and I am sorry to hear about your daughters unfortunate experience. I have heard several stories like that over the years and I don’t know for sure why some kids develop issues with their shoulders and others don't. In all my years of coaching I’ve never had one of my students develop a shoulder problem or anything to that extent.

The worst I had, was a kid who had a bicep issue which I’m sure the parents blamed me for and that student no longer comes to me. Buuut to me that was a mechanical issue with her release that was causing the problem but I think they believed it was something in my teachings...

In all honesty I always believed and still do believe that injuries occur because of poor mechanics. I’m not saying that was the issue with your daughter, I’m just saying in general the kids that I have seen with shoulder issues are the ones that have questionable mechanics. But I did read a very interesting story a while back of a young lady who was sidelined from pitching with shoulder issues. She was a promising young pitcher and a very good infielder by all accounts. They were talking to the father and he said looking back in retrospect he doesn’t believe it was the Pitching that caused the issue but the fact that she would go through a 3-4 hour practice that involved a lot of throwing overhand and then at the end of practice she would pitch BP to the girls or pitch to her catcher and he believes years of doing that is what caused her problems. I'll try and find the article and post it here because there was more to it but I thought that was kind of interesting and a different take on things. In the end it was an overuse issue but according to the father he believed had she just pitch and not played other positions the outcome may have been different
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:53 pm

by Blind Assassin » Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:34 am

CBG,

I appreciate your opinion(s). I just don't understand why parents allow SB teams to be run 180 degrees away from baseball teams when it comes to pitching. Teams expect to go through National tournaments with 3 pitchers, though they may have to play 5 games on a loser's bracket DE day. I would like to see teams carry 8 pitchers....thereby reducing the need for two TB teams and concentrating the players who wish to play in college to a relatively finite, small number of teams and the pitchers' arms are protected. Pitcher parents won't go for it, so we continue to have kids suffering unneeded injuries. I'm sure the mechanics you teach minimize the chances for injury.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 am

by 110% » Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:05 pm

Sounds to me like Melissa is back.. Just writing crap to get an argument going by using non facts and stupidity. Osterman and Abbot are legends because they're the best..

Caesar, just ignore the moron and maybe he'll go away.. ( Blind Assassin? Really?) hahaha
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:14 pm

by Blind Assassin » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:00 am

110% wrote:Sounds to me like Melissa is back.. Just writing crap to get an argument going by using non facts and stupidity. Osterman and Abbot are legends because they're the best..

Caesar, just ignore the moron and maybe he'll go away.. ( Blind Assassin? Really?) hahaha


Wow. What a f*cking moron. I already said who I am on another post. Both Osterman and Abbott leaped....illegally. The NFCA had no compunction to enforce their own rules. Look at the picture I posted. Lance Armstrong was a legend as well. Jack hole.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 am

by 110% » Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:29 am

Hey Blind,,, when I was 12 I talked like that too.. Truthfully, I don't care who you are, nor did I really think you may have been Melissa, only a reference showing you how you like to stir the pot.. Keep up the good (amusing) work..
110%
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:14 pm

by Blind Assassin » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:07 am

110% wrote:Hey Blind,,, when I was 12 I talked like that too.. Truthfully, I don't care who you are, nor did I really think you may have been Melissa, only a reference showing you how you like to stir the pot.. Keep up the good (amusing) work..


I appreciated your stupid remark as well. I doubt you could spell "moron" when you were 12 and likely have trouble with it currently. Keep on contributing absolutely nothing to the many topics you chime in on now and in the future. Love hearing from you.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 am

by curveball496 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:27 am

BA is on to what should be obvious. Softball is where baseball was about 50yrs ago. One pitcher might throw a double header and be praised for being such a horse. Back to the present, one mlb pitcher might close a game, throw against a lefty or chew some middle innings where the game is often won/lost. In time softball too will optimize, but now we must endure the trip backwards.
curveball496
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:47 pm

by curveballerguy124 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:23 pm

curveball496 wrote:BA is on to what should be obvious. Softball is where baseball was about 50yrs ago. One pitcher might throw a double header and be praised for being such a horse. Back to the present, one mlb pitcher might close a game, throw against a lefty or chew some middle innings where the game is often won/lost. In time softball too will optimize, but now we must endure the trip backwards.


I disagree, respectfully of course, the game is not long enough.... Unless you are in tournament play, or playing HS/College ball games very rarely make it to the 7th inning. I was in Colorado this past week only a few of our 12 games made it to 7 innings. If you play friendlies in SoCal your lucky to get in 5 innings of play. Until games start going longer in softball (which will never happen) you will never have a starter/mid/closer scenario, best you might obtain is a starter and closer.... Anywho thats my .02
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:53 pm

by Blind Assassin » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:39 pm

curveballerguy124 wrote:
curveball496 wrote:BA is on to what should be obvious. Softball is where baseball was about 50yrs ago. One pitcher might throw a double header and be praised for being such a horse. Back to the present, one mlb pitcher might close a game, throw against a lefty or chew some middle innings where the game is often won/lost. In time softball too will optimize, but now we must endure the trip backwards.


I disagree, respectfully of course, the game is not long enough.... Unless you are in tournament play, or playing HS/College ball games very rarely make it to the 7th inning. I was in Colorado this past week only a few of our 12 games made it to 7 innings. If you play friendlies in SoCal your lucky to get in 5 innings of play. Until games start going longer in softball (which will never happen) you will never have a starter/mid/closer scenario, best you might obtain is a starter and closer.... Anywho thats my .02


I agree with your comment regarding the starter/closer. I still believe that each team needs to carry 8 pitchers into a tournament and no starting pitcher should have to pitch in multiple games during the tournament. LL games go 6 innings but have kids on weekly pitch limits. Pitchers' parents could force SB to make that change for their own DDs' longterm health. They won't.....unless influenced by pitching coaches and managers.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:14 am

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions