What's on your mind?

by NumeroUno » Tue May 25, 2021 7:23 am

Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Crabby_Bob » Tue May 25, 2021 4:51 pm

Nice catch.

Most of the twatter comments are flat wrong. :shock:
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by milink » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Certainly!
milink

by Blind Assassin » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:56 am

Great effort, but it should have been a home run. You can't jump over a fence to make a catch. She did not secure the ball in the glove while on the playing field.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Assassin » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:53 pm

Spazsdad wrote:Youre kidding right? She never touched the ground out of play until after she caught the ball. Seen similar plays on many occasions.

You have to have possesion of the ball prior to leaving the field of play. She caught the ball AFTER her feet had cleared the plane of the fence.....no, I'm not kidding. Great effort, though.
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:27 am

Blind Assassin wrote:
Spazsdad wrote:Youre kidding right? She never touched the ground out of play until after she caught the ball. Seen similar plays on many occasions.

You have to have possesion of the ball prior to leaving the field of play. She caught the ball AFTER her feet had cleared the plane of the fence.....no, I'm not kidding. Great effort, though.

Great play. Legal catch.

(ETA: the rule)

Code: Select all
[NFHS] 2-9  Catch
1.  A catch is the act of a fielder who, with her hand(s) and/or glove/mitt, securely gains possession of a batted, pitched, or thrown ball.
2.  In establishing the validity of a catch, the fielder must prove she has control of the ball and that her release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.
[...]
4.  For a legal catch, a fielder must catch and have secure possession of the ball before stepping, touching or falling into a dead-ball area.  A fielder who falls over or through the fence after making a catch shall be credited with the catch.  A fielder who catches a ball while contacting or stepping on a collapsible fence, which is not completely horizontal, is credited with a catch.

There should be no dispute that 2-9-1 and 2-9-2 are met. The guideline for 2-9-4 is that the player has not entered dead-ball territory until the player has touched dead-ball territory with an entire foot or another part of the body. The video play is a "catch and carry", i.e., if not the 3rd out, each runner is awarded one base from the time of the pitch.
A constitution of government, once changed from freedom, can never be restored. Liberty once lost is lost forever.
Crabby_Bob

by Blind Assassin » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:40 am

Crabby_Bob wrote:
Blind Assassin wrote:

Great play. Legal catch.

(ETA: the rule)

Code: Select all
[NFHS] 2-9  Catch
1.  A catch is the act of a fielder who, with her hand(s) and/or glove/mitt, securely gains possession of a batted, pitched, or thrown ball.
2.  In establishing the validity of a catch, the fielder must prove she has control of the ball and that her release of the ball is voluntary and intentional.
[...]
4.  For a legal catch, a fielder must catch and have secure possession of the ball before stepping, touching or falling into a dead-ball area.  A fielder who falls over or through the fence after making a catch shall be credited with the catch.  A fielder who catches a ball while contacting or stepping on a collapsible fence, which is not completely horizontal, is credited with a catch.

There should be no dispute that 2-9-1 and 2-9-2 are met. The guideline for 2-9-4 is that the player has not entered dead-ball territory until the player has touched dead-ball territory with an entire foot or another part of the body. The video play is a "catch and carry", i.e., if not the 3rd out, each runner is awarded one base from the time of the pitch.

She looks like she cleared the fence prior to making contact with the ball. The legal catch rule requires that the fielder catch and have secure possession BEFORE stepping touching or falling into a dead ball area. The kid made a stupendous effort but she was falling into the dead-ball area before making even contact with the ball. Would love to hear from an umpire.
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Crabby_Bob » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:39 pm

Horse, water, drink. Or don't.
Crabby_Bob

by Blind Assassin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:00 am

CB

You posted the rule. Try reading it and then try to understand it....
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Blind Assassin » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:43 am

Spazsdad wrote:You are not “in dead ball territory” until some part of you touches dead ball territory. The air is not a territory

So, using that standard, she could take her defensive position on top of the fence....as long as she didn't touch the ground behind the fence.....if this was a permanent wll type of fence. Like I said before....I would love to hear from some of the experienced umpires on the board.
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions