Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Olympic Softball

What's on your mind?

by Blind Assassin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:16 am

Wow. After all the uproar over softball being an Olympic sport, it's omission, and subsequent return in Tokyo...we lose again to Japan....average 5 hits per game in the tournament.....and.....then.....NOTHING from the HB crowd. There used to be 100+ post strings on Olympic softball. Embarrassment? Shame? Disappointment? The selection committee is failing....that is for certain.
"I don't look for trouble....trouble looks for me." - Five Finger Death Punch
Blind Assassin
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Under the Radar » Wed Jul 28, 2021 9:32 am

Seemed like it was more of a last Hoorah for older players than a push to create excitement with the younger talent that could have smoked the ball.
Under the Radar
Premium Member
Premium Member

by E Train Dad » Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:16 pm

2 of the most clutch hitters in the game sat the bench (Nichols and Garcia). On the flipside Haylie McCleney was unconscience! Other than her, it was anemic offense. Boring!!
E Train Dad
Premium Member
Premium Member

by PairOfAces » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:20 am

Past time to weed out the old and bring in some new (hopefully someone who can hit a freaking change up). Starting at the top with the Head Coach. Way past his prime. But maybe that is why he and the selection committee picked so many "vintage" softball players - they are right up his alley.

Embarassing to say the least.

Also, why did the Phillipines and Israel, to name two off the top of my head, not participate? Are their national teams not at a high enough level? What are the standards for entering the Olympics? Are there no other countries that play softball on a national level?
PairOfAces
Premium Member
Premium Member

by xmarksthespot » Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:07 am

Take aways:

1) Allow pitchers to mature to a MLB age...hitting gets even harder.
2) R. Garcia on the bench. Finally.
3) The world has only six countries that play competitive fast-pitch softball?
3a) the Saudi team...who's on 1st?
3b) the Iranian team nickname: the Bombers.
xmarksthespot

by curveballerguy124 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:34 pm

This is just my opinion but I believe they went with seasoned players for the simple fact that they all have experience in the IFC playing international ball. They have all, with exception to the newbies played oversea's under international rules.Garcia and Nicols missed opportunities to play some games because of college ball though

For starters playing with a pitching timer messes with you especially if you have never played using one. Managing your time between pitches becomes extra challenging!! For batters it feels like your being quick pitched, for fielders it feels like you don't have enough set up between pitches and to pitchers it feels like your being yield at! It feels like you don't even have enough time to nod your catcher off if your not feeling the pitch. I've experienced it before and I can tell you in the 6 games that I experienced it I never got comfortable with it not for a moment.....

Then there is the pitching, international rules you can leap.... Try getting your timing right off of a leaping pitcher, if your used to it awesome you stand a chance if your not you aint gonna hit shit..... Now, you would think Nichols and Garcia would have a advantage because Kurt Walker their UCLA coach is a mens fastpitch pitcher right? Not the case Kurt is one of they few men that actually drag and not leap.

I know everyone likes to Monday morning quarterback it, but honestly Im not surprised they struggled hitting, I know some of the Olympic players hired men to throw to them because I play ball with these guys and was told. I have thrown to Janie Reed in the past and I can tell you when I leaped and threw to her she struggled timing me. Some of the guys that threw to these girls made mention on the same.....
curveballerguy124
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions