Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

40'/43'

What's on your mind?

by 07b » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:16 pm

DD is presently playing for a team and pitching at 40'; will continue to pitch at 40' when HS starts. We are thinking of moving up to 18 or 18G in the summer after HS. Will practicing at 43' now hurt her pitching at 40'?
07b

by Cannonball » Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:30 pm

We were told by my dd's long time pitching coach to practice walk ups at 43 feet and practice our daily throwing at 41. The reason was a proposed change in HS to 43 feet. She's a freshman and his logic is that if they change while she is in HS, she can make the change easier. Also, he likes the added drive needed to throw at 41. Naturally, when we get closer to her HS season and her first tryouts, we'll move to 40. Our state (IL) plays spring ball. We're playing a few more indoor tournaments before those tryouts but she is still practicing at 41 and the difference isn't effecting those outings.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by 07b » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:06 pm

Cannonball wrote:We were told by my dd's long time pitching coach to practice walk ups at 43 feet and practice our daily throwing at 41. The reason was a proposed change in HS to 43 feet. She's a freshman and his logic is that if they change while she is in HS, she can make the change easier. Also, he likes the added drive needed to throw at 41. Naturally, when we get closer to her HS season and her first tryouts, we'll move to 40. Our state (IL) plays spring ball. We're playing a few more indoor tournaments before those tryouts but she is still practicing at 41 and the difference isn't effecting those outings.

I appreciate the post....We will ask her pitching coach but the advice sounds reasonable.
07b

by umpinva » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:08 pm

If applicable for your DD's. ASA 2008 has a rule change.

Rule 2, SECTION 1: JO 18-U Class A Fast Pitching distance will be 43'.

Comment: This will allow JO 18-U Class A Fast Pitch to pitch at the same distance as 18-U Girls Gold Fast Pitch Classification.
umpinva

by Cannonball » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:36 pm

umpinva wrote:If applicable for your DD's. ASA 2008 has a rule change.

Rule 2, SECTION 1: JO 18-U Class A Fast Pitching distance will be 43'.

Comment: This will allow JO 18-U Class A Fast Pitch to pitch at the same distance as 18-U Girls Gold Fast Pitch Classification.

I'm not a fan of this rule. In some areas such as ours, this could hurt teams. For example, my DD's 14. She pitched 18U in the fall because pitching is scarce in these parts. However, she will pitch 16 U this summer. If she had to throw from 43, we would not have allowed it. Teams might find it harder to find pitching. For all of you in the land of sunshine and warm weather, you won't have as hard of a time finding pitching. JMHO!
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by FPdawg » Tue Jan 01, 2008 7:59 am

Cannonball, what part of the country are you from? I live in Mobile AL, but came from SOCAL two years ago. IMO the big difference in distense from pitching plate to home plate for pitchers is not a strength, conditioning, or potential injury problem, it has more to do with where the pitch will make its break. Most all pitchers and parents of pitchers at almost all levels know they will be doing drills like long toss, and throwing the ball from all kinds of distances depending on what a pitching coach is trying to create for muscle memory. I've pitched and coached for more than 30 years and in the mens divisions I have warmed up before a game at times from second base and seen it done many times, the true key to consistent pitching is reps, then more reps, then more reps, I think you get my point. I will absolutly gurantee you when you see two pitchers at the same level and one is good and the other is great, one of them has thrown twice as many pitches in her career than the other, guess which. Its same situation down here in Bama shortage of good experienced pitchers, IMO more harm to pitchers mental development cycle throwing a 14 year old in 18U, than what distance a pitchers throws from, but I understand your predicament, it wont hurt her physically. Good luck this season, Coach Mike
FPdawg

Return to Fastpitch Discussions