Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

This should be enough to ban cleats in High School

What's on your mind?

by Randi Jo » Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:57 am

See attached picture of a player injured by cleats in High School. The cut was 3" long- anyone else seeing injuries like this?

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... dff8cee38a

http://banmet.epetitions.net
Last edited by Randi Jo on Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randi Jo

by dittoz » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:46 am

In baseball - to some degree or another - yes all the time. My son had a set of those across his chest where a dirty player jumped on him as catcher when my son was sliding into home.

Lost many a pair of pants at F4 to errant cleats. Sometimes it's intentional, sometimes it's a lack of experience, sometimes it's just one of them things...

Hope she's okay! Be a good scar to brag about...
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by wadeintothem » Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:36 pm

You guys cant give up so soon! Boys wear em!

We havent even gotten them in ASA JO yet.

Everyone knew the slices and broken ankles etc were coming!

Keep up the fight for equality, dont ever give up!
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Tucson » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:18 pm

How does a cut 3 inches deep happen like that? 3 inches is awfully deep into that slim of leg.
Is that an exaggeration? I didn't read all of the Myspace..... was the cut through pants?
Tucson

by NumeroUno » Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:00 pm

I loved wearing metal cleats when I played and all the girls I have talked to love wearing metal cleats. The coaches should teach these kids where to be in the right position when making a play. Not that I am saying that this is how this happened but I see kids camped out in the base line asking for trouble.
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by ssarge » Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:39 pm

Ugly unjury. Really unfortunate.

If someone had time and inclination, they could find about 1,000 quad, hamstring, and knee injuries to offset this. Many of them could have been avoided with better traction. Which metal cleats afford (plus they are significantly lighter).

Those injuries aren't quite as gruesome - on the outside. But they are actually probably more serious.

It is what it is. Metal spikes are in NFHS to stay, I would think. If for no other reason than Title IX (equal facilities and equipment for both genders).

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by MTR » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:20 am

ssarge wrote:Ugly unjury. Really unfortunate.

If someone had time and inclination, they could find about 1,000 quad, hamstring, and knee injuries to offset this. Many of them could have been avoided with better traction. Which metal cleats afford (plus they are significantly lighter).

Sorry, Scott, but I don't believe this is a viable argument. The metal can offer better footing at times, but it is not a given. There is also the myth that metal will not slip or slide on rubber bases or plate. Of course, they will especially if wet. The same with an unkept saturated outfield where the grass is long.

Then there is the issue of clearance. Metal spikes will not clear the ground as easily as polyurethane or rubber especially if wet or muddy. I had a total knee replacement which is a direct result of an injury suffered while wearing metal spikes.

There are as many negatives as there are positives for ALL genders when it comes to metal spikes.

It is what it is. Metal spikes are in NFHS to stay, I would think. If for no other reason than Title IX (equal facilities and equipment for both genders).

There is no such demand of personal equipment in Title IX.
MTR

by Randi Jo » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:02 am

As far as the 3" - I'm just a reporter but I think it dug deep into the muscle on the side of her shin...

Anyway great discussion about the boys and baseball, so when do boys start wearing spikes?
How many years of training/practicing/playing before high school?

IMO that seems to be the problem. Our girls are jumping into spikes for a 3 month season, and we are expecting the HS coaches (who everybody complains about) to teach our girls a different game in that same period???

It doesn't add up -I say leave it to the college coaches.
Randi Jo

by ssarge » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:22 am

There is no such demand of personal equipment in Title IX.

You're probably right, my eyes have glazed over both times I tried to read the extremely long and complex full Title IX document. I don't recall any differentiation between corporate or personal equipment, only that "equipment" be equal. But I'll defer - sounds as if you know the document well.

However, I absolutely believe that gender equality was a consideration in the NFHS decision. Whether because of Title IX, or the fear of someone just bringing a gender inequity suit.

As for whether metal spikes reduce injuries, they did for me, without question. Just almost eliminated the groin and hamstring pulls I seemed to frequently get when I wore plastic. Especially in the outfield (on grass). They also feel great because they are SO MUCH lighter, and I would assume that helps performance. I suppose other people's experience will vary. However, I think there is a reason - rooted in injury prevention and / or performance - most likely both - why baseball players up through MLB largely CHOOSE to wear metal. If it wasn't advantageous, they wouldn't do it. Neither would college softball teams.

None of that was my main point, though. What I wanted to stress is that metal is here for NFHS, and MO, that isn't going to change.

I would add that it DOES take some time to get used to metal. Since college-bound players CAN'T use metal in 18Gold play (which I think is absurd, considering the Gold players - HS and College - will have worn them for the 3 months previous, but JMHO), whether or not a girl uses metal in HS, she should get a pair and start wearing them before she shows up for Fall practice at the U. She'll have plenty to worry about when she gets there other than THAT.

Best regards,

Scott
Last edited by ssarge on Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ssarge

by ssarge » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:29 am

Anyway great discussion about the boys and baseball, so when do boys start wearing spikes?
How many years of training/practicing/playing before high school?

Part of the problem, IMO. They should be legal in JO Club Ball beginning at age 13-14, just as they are for the boys. As I recall, that is the age when elite boy players start to wear metal. Note: I am NOT talking about rec league, here, for boys or girls.

Either we (collectively) believe that these are ATHLETES - not boys in one category and girls in another - or we don't.

I get called to task sometimes when I make "allowances" for girls. And you know what - I should be called to task.

It should be consistent. For example, I DON'T see pictures posted of boys after they have been spiked saying "this should be enough reason to ban metal spikes in high school." I'm as guilty of it as anyone at times, but how this can be constured as anything other than a subtle form of sexism? Well intended, obviously, and completely understandable. I'm NOT leveling criticism. I've got a daughter, too, and I'd just as soon that her legs NOT look like a roadmap of Montana when she is done playing. BUT, the implications of feeling differently about this with my daughter than I do with my son seem pretty clear.

And outside of boys wearing a cup, it seems to me that in just about every other way, this kind of thing all is consistent. I guess I'm just not getting why this one area creates such resistance for some. There are plenty of risks in playing softball that could result in far more serious injury - or worse - than a spike wound. Obviously it does create resistance, though, so I'll wind out of the conversation. But I don't get it.

Best,

Scott
ssarge

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions