Metal cleats in high school yes or no :?:
Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them
heybucket

by heybucket » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:51 pm

Wow this is pretty close 50/50 04/04/08 :o
Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them
heybucket

by wadeintothem » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:12 pm

I voted yes on General Principle.. but really I dont care. I believe it is the players game. They dont bother me one bit one way or the other. I think older higher level girls are some of the best athletes I've ever seen and I see no reason why they should be denied proven equipment in use by other atheletes.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Sam » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:32 am

wadeintothem wrote:I voted yes on General Principle.. but really I dont care. I believe it is the players game. They dont bother me one bit one way or the other. I think older higher level girls are some of the best athletes I've ever seen and I see no reason why they should be denied proven equipment in use by other atheletes.

The 100mph Rockettech bats were proven equipment....
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Randi Jo » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:33 am

Now run the poll if they should allow metal cleats in ASA 18's - I bet you will see a different result.
Randi Jo

by wadeintothem » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:48 am

Sam wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:I voted yes on General Principle.. but really I dont care. I believe it is the players game. They dont bother me one bit one way or the other. I think older higher level girls are some of the best athletes I've ever seen and I see no reason why they should be denied proven equipment in use by other atheletes.

And if ASA unbanned them tomorrow, i would have little opinion on it. Whatever the rules are, they are. If parents/coaches want metal cleats, I say go for it. I've had them mess up my plate shoes before.. which is about the biggest down side to them in my view. You just gotta pay attention to lumbering catchers when they are wearing them or $100 shoes go down the toilet.

If you are opposed to them, speak loud.. because I think we will see them at the 18's soon.

Injuries on contact plays will increase by their use IMO. That is a no brainer. Is it mitigated by less other types of injuries? I doubt it.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Sftbll4ever » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:11 am

This should change the idea of having the pitcher cover home on a passed ball. I know it probably doesn't happen as much at the older ages, but when it does, do you want your pitcher getting into that mess and facing possible injury??
Sftbll4ever

by Sam » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:33 am

wadeintothem wrote:
Sam wrote:

And if ASA unbanned them tomorrow, i would have little opinion on it. Whatever the rules are, they are. If parents/coaches want metal cleats, I say go for it. I've had them mess up my plate shoes before.. which is about the biggest down side to them in my view. You just gotta pay attention to lumbering catchers when they are wearing them or $100 shoes go down the toilet.

If you are opposed to them, speak loud.. because I think we will see them at the 18's soon.

Injuries on contact plays will increase by their use IMO. That is a no brainer. Is it mitigated by less other types of injuries? I doubt it.

I'm OK with having them at 18Gold....these teams are made up of kids who will likely play at the higher level. HS has a lot of players who only play HS ball...and maybe rec ball....good luck teaching them to avoid blocking a bag from a sliding runner....its a much, much different level of play.
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by EDGE » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:09 pm

I am against metal in high school because:
1) They wear plastic in travel. Why go back and forth, there are differences and it is difficult to go back and forth
2) They present more danger to the casual high school player. Without proper sliding fundamentals , these girls will tear themselves and each other up! Many softball high school coaches have never worn metal cleats and they are not teaching these girls what they need to know. Girls are getting hurt.
3) Why wear them. Most girls will NEVER play college ball. Being safe is more important than improved running performance.
EDGE

Return to Fastpitch Discussions