Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Three months of using metal cleats

What's on your mind?

by DonnieS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:57 am

My oldest softball daughter has been using metal cleats for 3 months now. We got her the metal Ringors. This kid is big and fast - she looked forward to wearing cleats helping her speed and cutting, etc. but also said she was worried about what might happen. In the first 10 days of using cleats in h/s tournaments, she sprained both ankles - I came on here and asked if anyone else had this experience with metal - answer was nope - daughter is a clutz like I thought. One happened sliding feet first into the base, really not good technique, - straight to the base - one foot caught the base, the base didnt snap out, resulted in a sprain. Lots of ice, lots of time with trainer - 8 days later on a wet day, she was running home - came in standing up, but on touching home, she slipped on the wet plate, sprain #2. Since then, nothing else, she says she really likes them but is still worried. One of her t/b teammates got cleated across the face a week ago, the cut comes from about the eyebrow, down across the eye socket, the cut is 1/4 inch max from the eye, and goes down under the eye. Laura was catching, a kid came in head first, Laura blocked her with her leg, and she flipped over, her foot catching Laura in the face, freak accident no doubt but there would not have been a cut with rubber, bruise either way but no cut. This cut is not deep - more of a deep scratch or scrape - but scary. My kid will continue wearing them because she has been told that overall, they are safer than rubber.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Sam » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:29 am

Here is the Fed's ringing endorsement of metal cleats:

http://www.nfhs.org/core/contentmanager ... cleats.pdf

College coaches talking about the freshman transition...for elite softball players. If 3 out of 100 HS players play in college....the Fed is catering to 3% of their participants...in order to do what? Does anybody understand why they would put themselves in this liability dilemma?
Run your mouth when I'm not around
Its easy to achieve
You cry to weak friends that sympathize
- Pantera, Walk
Sam
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DonnieS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:17 am

Its not a safety issue but the high schools moving from 40 to 43 feet is for the same group of athletes. What I dont know is how many other injuries are prevented by wearing metal.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tucson » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:12 am

What I would like to know is why we ever changed from wearing metal in the first place.
Tucson

by dittoz » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:40 am

Why would a catcher have a close play at the plate and not have her mask on?
Rather reminds me of a football player taking the helmet and mask off to "see better' just before getting hit...
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

by str8up » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:43 am

Hey DonnieS, did you catch that game last night between New Mexico and BYU the girl stealing 3rd, Her metal cleat got caught in the dirt (lead Foot on the slide) and just rolled her ankle bad. :ugeek:
Team Work
Multiplies Your Talent
str8up

by DonnieS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:50 pm

>> and not have her mask on? <<

Her daddy filmed it and I hope to see the film tonight - and I will ask her.

>> did you catch that game last night between New Mexico and BYU the girl stealing 3rd <<

No - what was the game on ?
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by americanfreedom » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:02 pm

Donnie lives in a part of Texas where he still has to use rabbit ears to get TV reception, and then only when he makes his youngest DD stand next to the TV and hold the antenna . . . . he has never heard of CSTV. LOL.
Tim Soefje
American Freedom Gold
Cell: (972) 922-8866
Email: americanfreedomgold@yahoo.com
http://www.americanfreedomgold.com
americanfreedom

by umpinva » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 pm

americanfreedom wrote:Donnie lives in a part of Texas where he still has to use rabbit ears to get TV reception, and then only when he makes his youngest DD stand next to the TV and hold the antenna . . . . he has never heard of CSTV. LOL.

TV in Texas :? ? When did Texas get TV reception :shock: ?
umpinva

by MTR » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:31 pm

DonnieS wrote: My kid will continue wearing them because she has been told that overall, they are safer than rubber.

Does you daughter have a trust fund? If so, there's this bridge in Brooklyn......
MTR

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions