Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

U of A player hurt from foul tip

What's on your mind?

by NumeroUno » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:43 pm

Another player from Arizona was hit in the face while batting, she had no mask on her helmet. Do you think that masks in college should be part of the uniform?

http://www.azstarnet.com/sports/232788
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by wadeintothem » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:48 pm

Wow, those foul tips sure can be dangerous.
Last edited by wadeintothem on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by NumeroUno » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:55 pm

I did get in a little late last night so I am running a little slow today but, What did you say?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by wadeintothem » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:06 pm

Maybe if we moved the pitchers mound back some, we could have less injuries from foul tips.
Last edited by wadeintothem on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Bretman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:49 pm

wadeintothem wrote:It is impossible to be injured by a foul tip, unless the catcher hurts her glove hand.

Careful we don't accidently start another rule myth...

She could also- and even more likely- hurt her bare hand!

Or the ball could go sharply and directly from bat to mitt or hand, then rebound up and nail the catcher in the throat, after which she regains secure possession in the hand or mitt (right before she passes out...)

I can think of a dozen other ways a catcher could be hurt somewhere other than the glove hand and the result still be ruled a legal foul tip.

Now, it is impossible for a batter or umpire to be injured by a genuine, by-the-book, honest-to-gosh foul tip. They can still get nailed by a ball off the bat, but that would just be a plain, old-fashioned foul ball.
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by wadeintothem » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:01 pm

Bretman wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:It is impossible to be injured by a foul tip, unless the catcher hurts her glove hand.

Careful we don't accidently start another rule myth...

She could also- and even more likely- hurt her bare hand!

Or the ball could go sharply and directly from bat to mitt or hand, then rebound up and nail the catcher in the throat, after which she regains secure possession in the hand or mitt (right before she passes out...)

I can think of a dozen other ways a catcher could be hurt somewhere other than the glove hand and the result still be ruled a legal foul tip.

Now, it is impossible for a batter or umpire to be injured by a genuine, by-the-book, honest-to-gosh foul tip. They can still get nailed by a ball off the bat, but that would just be a plain, old-fashioned foul ball.

Bret, please spare us all your logical discourse regarding the rules of softball.

Next you are going to try to tell me hands arent part of the bat you mope. Me and donnie dont like that stuff. :ugeek:
Last edited by wadeintothem on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by K'SDAD » Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:49 pm

Maybe they should ban injuries.
K'SDAD

by DonnieS » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Maybe Heybucket should ban idiots who argue over semantics when the OP was about fouling a ball into the kids face because she wasnt wearing a mask.

Also like you other morons that jump on people about 'leaping off the mound' when you know good and well they mean leaping off the pitching rubber and thats the real question not wtf they leap off of.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Bretman » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:35 pm

Yep, Wade- I figured you knew all that. (And get your point.)

Gee, Donnie. "Idiots", "morons" and a "WTF" all in one post? You're usually one of more laid back and jovial guys on these forums. Considering some of the utter crap people post on internet discussion boards, a couple of comments about semantics and proper use of softball terminology hardly seems worth the venom.

Bad day at the ballpark?
Click Here >>> To Visit The Glove Shop On-Line
Bretman

by wadeintothem » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Read the article, thats a really horrible foul tip.

Hope she is all right. We should probably have masks mandatory in NCAA Softball to protect from those ever dangerous foul tips!
Last edited by wadeintothem on Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions