Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Gameface save's DD's face

What's on your mind?

by fastpitchmom17 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:54 am

My #1 softball nightmare unfortunatly came true this weekend.........

We were playing in a GSA tournament this past w/e and in the Championship game (Lawrenceville Knights/West Cobb Crush) my DD takes a very hard hit liner off the mask, it would have hit her right between the eyes. It sends shivers down my spine to think what could have been if not for that gameface that we have to wrestle on her head every inning.

The downside of this story is that in the very next inning, one of our teams most powerful hitters smashes one into the other pitcher's forhead, this girl was not wearing a mask. Watching that poor little girl fall to the ground was by far the worst thing I've seen in a while. I am sooo thankful for that stupid mask and while I am praying for a speedy recovery for Emily form the West Cobb Chaos I also pray that people wake up and realize that gameface masks may save lives!

Stacy Powell
fastpitchmom17

by DonnieS » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:14 am

>> that gameface masks may save lives <<

And so will the wall-ball drill.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by DropOut » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:31 am

>>And so will the wall-ball drill.<<

Donnie - could you explain wall-ball drill? Thanks
DropOut

by DonnieS » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:40 am

Find a concrete wall, our h/s pitching coach had two built ( 7 foot high, about 12 feet wide) - these are made of block. Set up your pitching rubber, maybe 30 feet from the wall, then have your kid pick out a spot - a target on the wall. she uses the pitching machine balls (they bounce better) and she pitches into that spot - she fields the bounce back. After she handles fielding that 15 or 20 times, move her up 5 feet, and have her throw her hardest - she will be forced to end the pitching motion in defensive posture and field the ball... or eat it. Have her keeping moving up as close to the wall as she dares - and keep slamming the ball in to the wall. The h/s pitching coach her recommends this as a weekly drill.

This drill was also posted on eteamz drills list.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchmom17 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:59 am

That IS a swell drill, I will pass it around....thanks.
fastpitchmom17

by DonnieS » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:08 am

Our pitching coach is from California and he told me that out there you guys had a lot of these outdoor handball/racquetball courts and that is where he did this drill when he was growing up.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Tucson » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:18 am

Yes, drill and drill - and wear the mask.

It scares me to see these little girls pitch from 35 feet, knowing what a lucky shot is going to do to them. I have students taking pitching lessons that can't catch and throw, ages 8 and 9.

I just ordered The Defender. I am going to make my students wear it during lessons.

I had a line drive hit me in the ribs a couple of months ago, that was a lucky shot. I was pitching batting practice to a mid 50ish woman that was playing slow pitch. It was on me quicker than snot. Anyone can get hit. Amy :geek:
Tucson

by Judd » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:56 pm

isnt it like thess than .5 second reaction time from when the pitcher releases the ball to the hitter hitting? So what is the reaction time from a ball hit harder than what the pitcher throws?
Judd

by DonnieS » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:05 pm

>> So what is the reaction time from a ball hit harder than what the pitcher throws? <<

To my mind, thats why during this drill, we move the pitcher up closer to the wall. The down side to the drill is that the pitcher knows that the ball is coming back at her so she is going to be expecting it. Also the pitcher is rested, she is not distracted, or ticked off or any of the other things that can take their attention.

During this drill, the kid will get up to 15 - 20 feet and you will hear the bam-bam of the ball hitting the wall and then the glove.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by fastpitchmom17 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:37 pm

Good ??? Judd, who has the answer? I would be very interested to know. My hubby and i were discussing this on the way home last night, batters have around .39 seconds to hit a fastball ( I think I read that somewhere)......how long would a pitcher have to react to a ball hit off of a good composite bat? Our girl was swinging a rocket tech and the pitcher was around 44mph.
fastpitchmom17

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions