Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Questions on Catching Welcome

What's on your mind?

by catchingcoach » Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:03 am

I just found this board the other day and it looks like it could be a great place to discuss softball. If any parents/coaches/players want to discuss issues related to catching I'd love to offer my thoughts.

Dave Weaver....aka Catching Coach
New England Catching Camp
Coach Weaver
www.catchingcamp.com
Facebook: New England Catching Camp
Phil 4:13
catchingcoach

by papabearo » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:38 am

Hi catchingcoach,
my DD is a 16u pitcher that has a strong drop curve. My problem is she usually works with the number two catcher who hasn't caught since rec ball . Are there some drills I could pass on to her dad to improve her blocking skills until we get a real catcher as a backup.( She is our utility player and has stepped up to help out.) Thanks
papabearo

by catchingcoach » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:56 am

papabearo wrote:Hi catchingcoach,
my DD is a 16u pitcher that has a strong drop curve. My problem is she usually works with the number two catcher who hasn't caught since rec ball . Are there some drills I could pass on to her dad to improve her blocking skills until we get a real catcher as a backup.( She is our utility player and has stepped up to help out.) Thanks

Papabearo,

Your question is one on the most common I get asked. Blocking is by far the hardest skill a catcher has to master. The truth of the matter is that the actual execution of the block is really the easiest part of the skill. I will post my full explanation in a separate thread.
Coach Weaver
www.catchingcamp.com
catchingcoach

by 2bigbats08 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:01 pm

Just logged on to see catchcoach on this site...if you are a player or parent of DD any age who is serious about catching I reccommend you hook up with Coach Weaver ASAP. New England Catching Camp is in our oppinion the best program for catching in the country. Coach Weaver has been coaching our DD for 4 years and has done amazing things with her game. She continuously has other coaches and umpires compliment her game whether she is playing in NE, down south or against West Coast teams like the Mizuno Pride or the SoCal Hurricanes. This coach simply knows what he is doing, and does it WELL. Consider yourself lucky to have access to this Coach in this forum!!
2bigbats08

by Intel » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:30 pm

What are your thoughts on left handed softball catchers versus left handed baseball catchers?
Intel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by catchingcoach » Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:41 pm

Intel wrote:What are your thoughts on left handed softball catchers versus left handed baseball catchers?

Left handed softball players are very common at all levels. Many play D-1 as well. With so many opportunities for the catcher to have to throw to first in softball the lefty actually has an advantage over the righty. With all the bunts and the ease of the pick-off throw to first with a right handed batter up the lefty can really be an asset.

In baseball you will never see a lefty much past youth ball (12U). There is so much resistance to it in baseball that we always counsel parents to be sure their lefty learns to play other position. The chance that a lefty will catch on a HS baseball team is slim.
Coach Weaver
www.catchingcamp.com
catchingcoach

by nwthyde » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:13 pm

I love the lefty catcher in softball for bunt throws and 1st base throw downs, but the throw to third tends to be problematic. This is very difficult to execute consistently with Right handed batters in the box because the catcher either has to come out in front of the plate to make the throw or throw behind the batter in the box. Throwing in front takes too much time and throwing behind the batters tend to get in the way weather intentionaly or not. At least the righty can clear the way with her glove hand as she throws. I usually have the SS cover on a steal, but do you think it might be better to have 3rd cover (as long as she's not too far up in bunt coverage) and try to create a better angle for the throw? What are your suggestions to this "problem" ?
nwthyde

by catchingcoach » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:38 pm

nwthyde wrote:I love the lefty catcher in softball for bunt throws and 1st base throw downs, but the throw to third tends to be problematic. This is very difficult to execute consistently with Right handed batters in the box because the catcher either has to come out in front of the plate to make the throw or throw behind the batter in the box. Throwing in front takes too much time and throwing behind the batters tend to get in the way weather intentionaly or not. At least the righty can clear the way with her glove hand as she throws. I usually have the SS cover on a steal, but do you think it might be better to have 3rd cover (as long as she's not too far up in bunt coverage) and try to create a better angle for the throw? What are your suggestions to this "problem" ?

No question that the throw to third is a challenge for the lefty. It is the same mechanics however as a righty making a pickoff throw to first with a lefty batter. The key to this throw for the lefty can be summed up in one body part. Her left foot.

The placement of her left foot can make or break this throw. The throw needs to be made behind the right handed batter. I teach that in the runners-on stance her toes are pointed up the baselines with her heels in contact with the ground. As she catches the pitch all she is going to do is allow her weight to shift briefly to her right foot giving her the chance to reposition her left foot . Her goal will be to now instead of her toes pointing towards third base, the instep of her left foot will point towards third. Her weight now transfers over onto her left foot and her hips close so that when her right foot hits the ground it is now directly inline with her left foot. Her hips are now lined up with the bag at third and she can make a stong throw to the SS side of 3rd.

She will be close to the batter but if she started the play at the proper distance from the batter she will have enough room to clear the hitters back leg and hip.

This works best when the catcher is set up on the inside of the plate to a righty. If she is set up on the outside half of the plate then the throw is very tough and if I am the 3rd base coach I am always watching in stealing situations to try and send my runner when the lefty is set up on the outside of the plate.
Coach Weaver
www.catchingcamp.com
catchingcoach

by SouthernNH Dad » Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:01 am

Hello Catchingcoach.

I've heard a lot of good things about your clinics. Are you still giving lessons out of Play Ball?

I have a daughter moving up to U14 this year and would like her to get a chance to improve her skills.
SouthernNH Dad

by catchingcoach » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:55 pm

SouthernNH Dad wrote:Hello Catchingcoach.

I've heard a lot of good things about your clinics. Are you still giving lessons out of Play Ball?

I have a daughter moving up to U14 this year and would like her to get a chance to improve her skills.

SouthernNH,

Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I am still doing clinics at Play Ball. You can see the schedule on my site. I am also doing 2 clinics a week up in Concord at the Concord Sports Center. You can see that schedule on their site http://www.concordsportscenter.com
Coach Weaver
www.catchingcamp.com
catchingcoach

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions