Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Questions for the Umps

What's on your mind?

by NumeroUno » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:14 pm

I have a bat question:

Is a bat still legal if you scribe your name on the bottom of the knob?

If not where should you put your name?
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by wadeintothem » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:40 pm

spaz is right. Good to go on the knob. Dont goof with the barrel, even with a sharpie.
Last edited by wadeintothem on Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by Skarp » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:21 pm

wadeintothem wrote:skarps right. Good to go on the knob. Dont goof with the barrel, even with a sharpie.

Damn...I'm so good I'm right even when I don't post. :mrgreen:
There is no charge for awesomeness
...or attractiveness.
Skarp
Premium Member
Premium Member

by wadeintothem » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:48 pm

Skarp wrote:
wadeintothem wrote:skarps right. Good to go on the knob. Dont goof with the barrel, even with a sharpie.

Sorry, all you FP daddys look alike to me. ;)
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by jofus » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:26 am

I have a totally unrelated question, but it's about umping.

Last weekend I got volunteered to ump the bases in a "friendly", and a batter hit a ball that hit her while she was still in the box. The home plate ump didn't see it and didn't call a foul, although it was obvious from my viewpoint. I didn't call it a foul because I wasn't sure if that was "in my jurisdiction" or not. They got the batter out at first, and then had a play at the plate with a girl trying to come home from third (and imho he missed that call too, but that's a different story).

Should I have called it a foul ball from the bases, or was I right in letting it go? I think I should have called it, but I didn't know the ump and didn't want to step on his toes....
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by wadeintothem » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:37 am

jofus wrote:I have a totally unrelated question, but it's about umping.

Last weekend I got volunteered to ump the bases in a "friendly", and a batter hit a ball that hit her while she was still in the box. The home plate ump didn't see it and didn't call a foul, although it was obvious from my viewpoint. I didn't call it a foul because I wasn't sure if that was "in my jurisdiction" or not. They got the batter out at first, and then had a play at the plate with a girl trying to come home from third (and imho he missed that call too, but that's a different story).

Should I have called it a foul ball from the bases, or was I right in letting it go? I think I should have called it, but I didn't know the ump and didn't want to step on his toes....

You call Dead ball right away loud and sure. That is part of the "jurisdiction" of base umpires. Sometimes the PU can't see it and you got to be watching for that. Your pre-hit duties include: Watching the pitchers foot work for Illegal Pitches, Watching runners to make sure they dont leave early, watching the batter for dead ball situations (such as you described) and checked swings.

Welcome to the dark side! :lol: Time to ruin some scholarships! :twisted:
ASA, NCAA, NFHS
wadeintothem

by DonnieS » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:55 am

>> Your pre-hit duties include: Watching the pitchers foot work for Illegal Pitches, Watching runners to make sure they dont leave early, watching the batter for dead ball situations (such as you described) and checked swings. <<

Amazing - how do you guys do this while still checking the stands for GLMs.
DonnieS
Premium Member
Premium Member

by jofus » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:47 am

I've umped on and off for years, but usually behind the plate these days. I knew that if I were behind the plate, I would want a base ump that saw it when I didn't to call it, but I wasn't sure if the one that was umping this game would want me to call it. Afterwards I was pretty sure that I should have, but I hesitated when it happened...I was fairly sure that I missed it.

It ended up being 2 outs and ending the inning, but it only kept the game close for an extra inning or 2......
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

by umpinva » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:02 am

wadeintothem wrote:
Skarp wrote:

Sorry, all you FP daddys look alike to me. ;)

Now that's funny!
umpinva

by dittoz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:10 am

Something on this note I've been wondering...

Batter swings as described and the ball fouls off the batter and goes foul... (which I suppose is why they call it fouling off the batter)

Ump yells DEAD BALL!, presuming it was seen.

Why is it a dead ball if it is foul anyway? Is it just a carry through because it hit the batter prior to going foul or is there some play that can continue on a foul ball (like that) if it is not called dead? I understand potentially advancing on a pop foul, but not on a fouled down and off the hitter foul.

So is it just the result of a progression of events? I actually had a u-trip umpire the other day tell me that the dead ball call depends on where the batter is in the box at the time of being hit. Talk about adding confusion to the fire...!
Being from NorCal, what do I know anyway???
dittoz

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions