Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Stop Being Generic, Start Being Specific

What's on your mind?

by softballperformance » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Stop Being Generic, Start Being Specific

One word of advice to start with: picking a random training program off any fitness magazine or website is a big mistake because most of these programs are as far as you can be from being softball-specific.

Most of these programs are either geared at bodybuilders who wants to get bigger or at the general population who wants to lose fat and tone up.

They are not designed to increase performance. Most likely, any generic exercise program will be filled with
isolation exercises and non sport-specific exercises.

The same holds true for programs borrowed from other sports. While a well-designed program for volleyball is more likely to benefit to a softball player than a generic fitness program for the general population, it will not exactly match the specific needs of a softball player because
the demands of the game of softball are somewhat different from volleyball.

Even more important, stay away from football-specific training programs; they have very little in common with the needs
of softball players. Most of the time, they are designed to make their athletes bigger! I have seen very few football-specific programs that would fit your needs as a softball player.

Also, be aware of personal trainers that claim to design sport-specific programs.

Most of the time, they have no idea of what they are doing and have no clue on how to design a good sports conditioning program.

IFinally, in addition to not having a clue on how to design a good sports conditioning program, most of them don't know anything about our game and its specific demands.

You must get your own design softball-specific training program from someone who is a Certified Strength and Conditioning Coach (CSCS) AND who has experience working with softball or baseball players.

Otherwise, you are wasting your time and money on useless, generic programs that are NOT designed to improve your softball game!
softballperformance

by NumeroUno » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:05 am

Thank you Marc and I agree 100% with that post..
Help support heybucket and become a premium member today for only $12.00 a year
premium.html
NumeroUno

by Blind Squirrel » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:22 am

Marc, I have previously strongly disagreed with you in the past. On this topic, we are in complete agreement. You have to be very careful with players working out. It can actually hurt them and/or set them up for injury. I talked with the fitness coach at the school my DD visited. He sets up an individualized program for each kid based upon not just the sport, but upon which position they play. I have no relevant degree/certification in this area but this seems to me to be the right approach.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

Return to Fastpitch Discussions