Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Come on guys wake

What's on your mind?

by FPdawg » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:49 pm

Come on throw some rocks at me, I layed it on the line, how I feel about BB & FP hitting mechanics being shadow copies of each other, and if anybody thinks Mike Candrea, the most aggresive ofensive coach alive, even teaches his score keaper to get your butt on the south side of the plate and slap our way to 11 national championships, and you think he is going to say he learned this watching a baseball training tape give me a break, he is endosing some ones video and hell ya he's going to say , oh ya rotational hitting, you have to rotate to swing anything connected to your ass if you want to get from point a to b. Come on eat me up ,I'm ready, give me something you learned from swinging a bat in a FP game, lets get the facts out to the young players. Tell me where I'm full of it, not what something you read in a magazine,

Good Softball talk....FPdawg
FPdawg

by 3Bsnag » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:29 am

I'm sure more than half of these members could intelligently debate this with you. I hate to mention his name in another post, but I think JoeBad has worn us out on this subject for a while.

How about this? If you're avg is over .350 keep doing what you're doing. If it's .250-.350 keep practicing. Under .250, find someone elses swing to imitate and try that. Done.
3Bsnag

by bradrhod » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:05 am

I agree with FPDawg. The discsussions on hitting in girls FP world have been very non productive the last 2-3 years. The rotational vs linear argument has long been flawed. It is flawed becase the the terms just do not mean anything. Add in the fact that there are some on the net that ruin every discussion. Hopefully with this new site we can get some good moderation that allows the dicsussion to continue in a productive fashion. Eteamz usage of employees that do not know anything about fastpitch creates endless issues.

Candrea does not teach slapping. He uses slapping, well more to the point he uses slapppers that are taught by Larry Ray.

Watching Candrea teach at camps, he really pays little or no attention to anything about slapping. Leaves it all to Larry. When you talk to him about hitting he only engages in discussion about swinging away. He truly believes that he is teaching a swing that is very close to how major leaguers swing.

On getting to the ball before it breaks. I do not think that the only answer is moving up in the box. In the college world series the teams that seemed to handle breaking balls well were the teams that were willing to move some players up in the box and some players back in the box. At a camp few years back Candrea stated that you move back in the box if the pitch is breaking early. This forces the catcher back, umpire back. If the ball is breaking early you can take a lot of strikes and turn them to balls, or even better pass balls. Umpires almost always call balls and strikes in relation to the where the batter stands.
bradrhod

by FPdawg » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:14 am

Great post, bradrhod, I humbly retract my statement that Candrea coached the slap, he does use it and for much success this is one of my points to BB coaches, no slapin in MLB no good fp hitter steps in to the box thinking I'm gonna smack a home run, if they are taking a full swing they are trying to get the ball out of the infield.... now once in a while due to an aggressive batter with a good eye they WILL execute this baseball swing (that BB coaches won’t let go of) and bam its gone, see guys your swing does work in SB. But if you load up for the big baseball swing every time at bat you won’t have much of an average in softball. Also bradrhod you are correct blues will follow the batter around to get a strike zone, very bad blue mechanics, and is not method they teach in ump schools (I was certified ASA & CIF) 10 years SanDiego section. Strike zone starts at front of plate! And yes you can fool a weak blue. Now when my hitters are in the box I'm not looking to get a cheap walk, I want some action and aggression from my batters, so I gotem up in the front attacking that ball before it can make it's break, that’s why a softball box is 4 ft forward of the break in plate compared to 3 in BB , come on think about it, why. Ok now I now everybody is going to tell me how they had a BB coach teach their DD how to hit and they went to the world series or whatever, the great hitters are naturals this is fact and any kind of dissent coaching will get a player to a high level, but imagine what they might have done with a little softball technique added to that great baseball swing. I coached and played for 14 years before my DD stepped onto a softball field. She weighed 115 was 5'6 two time mountain/coastal & citrus all league selection, two time Brietbard hall of champion inductee (same hall of champions as Ted Williams, Tony Gwyn and many others) one of her CIF records 5 consecutive games with a grand slam, if you think I'm jerkin your chain look it up her name is Eryn Taylor, anyway I never teach power hitting (per say) so how does a little girl that weighs 115 lbs hit the ball so hard? what I did teach here was how to drive a ball that clears the infield with atomic speed, I don’t care if it drops out of the sky after that, this is a softball technique not a baseball technique!... now we’re are gettin some good talk going, let’s keep it up, there are some great minds at work here let’s keep it real, if you have done something then lets share it and get these girls on top of their game......FPdawg
FPdawg

by ssarge » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:20 pm

He isn't ENDORSING the video. It is two hours of video instruction delivered exclusively by himself and Enquist. It includes the frills they use with their own hitters (or in Enquist's case, "used.") It is their hitting methodology, and it is distributed by RiughtView Pro (owned by former MLB player and hitting coach Don Slaught).

The RVP methodology was presented - to great acclaim - along with that of Mike Epstein - at last year's NFCA convention. Those familiar w/ Epstein know that he is a former MLB player, mentored by Ted Williams. He is the most "rotational" among the spectrum of hitting instructional systems.

I believe Rachel Hanson of the University of Dallas was the moderator for this breakout session. Rachel herself uses the methodology of Steve Englishbey, another instructor who absolutely teaches the same swing to male and female athletes. Apparently no other purveyors of instructional hitting systems were asked to participate at the NFCA meeting.
ssarge

by ssarge » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:24 pm

The rotational vs linear argument has long been flawed. It is flawed becase the the terms just do not mean anything. Add in the fact that there are some on the net that ruin every discussion. Hopefully with this new site we can get some good moderation that allows the dicsussion to continue in a productive fashion. Eteamz usage of employees that do not know anything about fastpitch creates endless issues.

Totally agree, though I believe the discussion of whether or not to emulate MLB mechanics is an entirely different subject. And to my way of thinking highly relevant. I appreciate that others may feel differently.

Best regards,

Scott
ssarge

by FPdawg » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:47 pm

Wow, I can't believe that Candrea, & Enquest are so close to God, that they would never figure out,and possibly consider gaining anything for themselves by endorsing something they had produced, come on you gotta know up at the top, and I mean DI top 10, olympic levels the politics and deals are like the back room at Joe's place, its big buisness this is just the way I see it so Im sorry I just dont put the lions share of my coaching techeneque on the comparison of a BB hitter & SB hitter on somebody's tape. Well I guess thats why we have more than one way to do just about everything in life... Happy New Year... FPdawg
FPdawg

by mozzy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:08 pm

"But if you load up for the big baseball swing every time at bat you won’t have much of an average in softball."
Tell that to Bustos :lol:
mozzy

Return to Fastpitch Discussions