Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Stretching Before Games Decreases Your Performance

What's on your mind?

by softballperformance » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:56 pm

You see it everywhere - still.

It's been done for years thinking it was good.

It's still being thought by many to be the thing to do despite ALL of the evidence pointing to the contrary.

Why?

Softball is an "old-school" sport. It's a very conservative sport.

Things change slowwwwwwwwwwwly unlike other sports like track and field.

There are "old beliefs" that holds no matter what.

What am I talking about?

STRETCHING!!! Yes, stretching.

Using static stretching to warm-Up!

There is a belief that by that doing static stretching exercises (a stretch where you hold a position without moving for a given amount of time) prior to doing sport or exercise helps prevent injuries.

The rationale is that by increasing the range of motion around a joint, there is less chance of injuries.

NOT TRUE!

We now know that it is not the case. Serious studies have clearly shown that performing static stretching doesn't prevent injuries.

Did you read that? Static stretching performed prior to physical activities DOESN'T prevent injuries.

Even worse, some studies have also shown that it could be detrimental to the performance of speed-power athletes.

Softball players are speed-power athletes because all of the actions in our sport have to be done quickly and explosively.

Did you read that too? Stretching potentially decreases performance on the field!!

The reason is that in order to generate speed and power, our nervous system needs to be "turned on". The problem is that static stretching does exactly the opposite: it turns off the nervous system!

Studies have shown that athletes performing static stretching are losing power for up to an hour afterwards.

Do you want to bat or pitch with less power???

This is really bad news for any softball player! We need all of the power we can get to perform on the field!

Now, I am not saying you should not warm-up or that static stretching is bad.
Warm-up is essential to prevent injuries and to prepare the body to perform while static stretching is an excellent mean of increasing flexibility.

My point is that we have to reconsider how we warm-up and when we use static stretching. Static stretching is not a good way to warm-up.

Moreover, the idea that increased range of motion helps prevent injuries is still a valid one. However, we need to increase the range of motion without turning off the nervous system.
The three main goals of a general warm-up are: (a) warm-up the whole body gradually, (b) increase the range of motion around the major joints, and (c) turn on the nervous system.
Most sports conditioning experts now agree that a good warm-up should mostly be dynamic in nature - NOT sitting around and stretching passively!

That means that it should be comprised of movements that allow us to reach all three goals.
Typically, a good general warm-up will consist of some sort of activity that brings the body temperature up (i.e. jogging) followed by exercises that will challenge the nervous system and also increase the range of motion around the major joints.

These exercises are often described as "dynamic flexibility exercises", "mobility exercises" or "movement preparation exercises".

Static stretching is still a great way to improve flexibility and promote recovery.

The purpose of a warm-up is NOT to increase flexibility but to prevent injuries and prepare the body to perform optimally.

As a result, the best time to use static stretching is right after a game or a training session during a cool-down period.

At that time, muscles are more compliant to flexibility training (they are warmed) and the body needs recovery.

So, don't make the big mistake of using static stretching as the core of your general warm-up - do dynamic warm-up instead.

Be smart and learn how to properly do a warm-up that will truly optimize your performance while keeping you away from injuries!

So please, stop being "old school" using methods that don’t work and get into the 21st century with "cutting-edge" methods :D
softballperformance

by bradrhod » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:21 am

What is a good pregame routine?
bradrhod

by Blind Squirrel » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:44 pm

At every NBA game I've seen, I see the players stretching immediately before the game. Is what they are doing advantagious or detrimental? They seem to all do the same basic stuff.

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballperformance » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:12 am

Pro sports are some of the worst - they are really old schools. Formers players leading players.

Usually - university and elite amateur are doing much better.

For a routine - jog a bit, then do a lot of various dynamic range of motion movement (hard to describe here) to mobilize your joints and various muscles (shoulers, torso, hips, kneess, ankles) and once that is done, get into more activation-type exercises such as footwork, sprint-training drills (ABC's), agility-mobility exercises, etc.

Then head to your softball stuff.
softballperformance

by Blind Squirrel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:36 am

"Pro sports are some of the worst - they are really old schools. Formers players leading players."

Okay, I thought your comments about natural ability being overrated were stunningly ignorant. But the statement above raised the bar. You're an owner of a pro team. You're paying your players millions of dollars to perform. And you entrust the physical well being of your players to a "former player?" What kind of idiot owner would have a highly qualified and knowledgeable person around to carefully instruct and educate his players on how to warm up before a game?

I am left with no other option but to view your posts with great skepticism. I have to believe your knowledge of sports is completely limited to what you have read. There is no way an even casual sports fan with zero training makes statements like you have made.

I encourage others to tell me where I'm wrong in my assertions. What am I missing?

John
10 years from now I'll wish I felt like I do these days.
Blind Squirrel
Premium Member
Premium Member

by Cannonball » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:42 am

Those pro teams now keep on staff a number of trainers. One would think that these trainers represent the best in their field. Heck, we're a HS of 1,300 and we have a full time trainer on our staff. He reports to work each day at 10:00 and leaves somewhere around 7:00 except when we have home games. Then, he's here till the end. If our small little school can do it, I'm sure pro teams can. BTW, I realize we're unique in our area but perhaps not for you guys out west. We also are in partnership with various colleges and so they funnel their training interns through our school. So, we have a trainer and a rotating "staff" of 3 or 4 at any given time. Something to think about if your school doesn't have it.
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by Kaze » Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:27 pm

I don't know how this plays out, but in our area there are four D2 softball teams. One of which may have a trainer that comes from your school of thought. They also do dynamic, mobility and movement exercises instead of the "old school" stretching warm ups.

Year in and year out they always lose 80% of their games and have the highest injury rate that I ever can recall. Maybe it's just them. I don't know.
Kaze
Premium Member
Premium Member

by softballperformance » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 am

John,

Know that I will not verse in personal comments which you are close to doing. You may disagree with my statements and you know, it is the beauty of democracy and freedom of speech. I welcome your disagreements. However, I think you ought to respect my opinion (just like I respect yours) without versing into comments that are close to personal attacks.

Yes I have beliefs and opinions (which you disagree with) but most of my stuff is evidence-based meaning that it's based on research findings. Most of my "opinions" are educated opinions either because of my 20 years as a softball coach (coaching at the college level, at the world championship, against the best teams in the world), either on my 13 years as a professional strength coach with all of the right certifications and experience working and consulting with some of the top athletes and coaches in softball or based on my 19 years of schooling with includes 5 years of graduate school (Masters Degree in Coaching Sciences and 2 years of doctoral studies). Just saying this to make a point that I have a solid background and I tend, in most cases, to know what I am talking about when it comes to softball and training since I have both the experience AND the education.

Now..Let me precise what I meant. Who are the coaches of pro-team? Mostly players who have played the game and have a great sense for it since they played it. They are usually excellent on the tactical and technical side but don't know much on the sports science side since they didn't go to school to study exercise physiology.

If you have been around any pro teams or elite amateur program (top college, olympic teams, etc) like I have, you will realize that the "Coach'" is always right - even if he is wrong.

In other words, whenever a trainer wants to do something, if the coach disagrees, you know what - it's the coach way. Some coaches give total freedom to their "educated and qualified training staff" but some don't. You may try to rationalize them *like not overdoing aerobic for softball or baseball" but some have long held beliefs that it does various things that it doesn't really do.

With that said.. another thing with Pro teams...

Some teams do things right and it's getting better every year but pro sports is lacking behind.

Most of the time, their training staff has been there for a long time and they still rely on older methods. Owners know nothing about quality of trainers.

An analogy: I know nothing about accounting. How am I be able to judge a good accountant.. might ask for reference but if the guy is nice and trustworthy, I might hire own, I don't know how to evaluate an accountant. Owners and managers in baseball pro team are the same way - they can't evaluate because they don't know the job.

Ask most university strength coach they will tell you the same thing.

Go around spring training camps in MLB, you will see what I mean.

Even the Chicago Bandits - pro fastpitch - were still sitting and stretching in a circle last time we played them. Great organization but some of their practices were a little more old-school.

That's all. Coaches lead the way and if they believe in outdated methods.. guess what, they still do that despite what sciences has shown and training staff if they have been around a long time doing the same thing the same way... well, same thing.

Younger folks in strength and conditioning and athletic therapy are doing a great job. I have seen a major paradigm shift over the last 5 years but pro teams - baseball more than any other sports - is still quite behind in most cases (i.e. still static stretching or using other things that most elite strength coaches today don't do anymore).
softballperformance

by purpleshins » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:46 am

I want to know if there are any successful programs at the college or pro level in any sport that has gotten away from pre-game stretching.

I'm all for the latest cutting-edge methods, but before I jump in, I want some scientific data to back it up.
purpleshins

by Mr. Burns » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:33 am

I want to know if there are any successful programs at the college or pro level in any sport that has gotten away from pre-game stretching.

At least one, Texas Tech football does very little if any stretching and has not seen a higher injury rate. There coach Mike Leach says something to the affect that, "you don't see a dog stopping to stretch before he gets up from a nap to chase a car."
Mr. Burns

Next

Return to Fastpitch Discussions