Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Bat Question

What's on your mind?

by Cookie » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:56 am

I keep hearing different things about what is going to happen to the current bats that are out on the market. After July 2008 none of the current bats made can be sold but you can still use them? What is the deal
I'm not driving....
Cookie

by Nate@Anderson » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:28 am

There has been no official policy made with regards to current bats. The ONLY thing that's for sure is that ASA is not approving new models until they figure out a new testing procedure that makes it impossible for people to alter their bats, thus taking them past the 98MPH performance limitation.

I do know, however, that ALL rule changes are aimed at COMPOSITE bats and models like the RockeTech FP and TechZilla FP (that's right, you heard it here first) will not be affected.
Nate@Anderson

by qwikvr6 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:39 am

The Rocketech is king in my book! My kid will not swing anything else.
qwikvr6

by dejavu » Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:12 am

I agree re: RT my 12U DD absolutely crushes the ball!
dejavu

by MTR » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:36 am

Nate@Anderson wrote:I do know, however, that ALL rule changes are aimed at COMPOSITE bats and models like the RockeTech FP and TechZilla FP (that's right, you heard it here first) will not be affected.

Just a technical note: The rule changes that were directed toward restricting composites or any other bats were soundly defeated at the ASA National Convention in November.

Any changes made from this point on will need to be done via emergency legislation which will require a vote of the council members or an SOP change as to the measure of a bat's safety. This just means it will not be a rule change, but a change in the bat list which is a subject of safety and not the actual rules.

Another note, and this is not directed toward Nate or anyone else in a specific manner, is that some bats may be deemed unsafe because they exceed the present standards after a certain level of use. I'm not sure to what level, but I would guess some of the manufacturers are quite aware of this occuring with their product and are just waiting to see how this pans out.
MTR

by bradrhod » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:39 am

The last informed reply on this said that the Rattle Test was had support and looked like it would become a rule. Did that change?
bradrhod

by MTR » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:42 am

bradrhod wrote:The last informed reply on this said that the Rattle Test was had support and looked like it would become a rule. Did that change?

No
MTR

by bradrhod » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:04 pm

So then, Nates reply seems correct. There was one rule change, the rattle rule. That rule is clearly targetted at composite bats. It applies to all bats, but if your aluminum bat is rattling it is broken and needs repaired.
bradrhod

by addiction » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:33 pm

my DD prefers the Worth Mayhem
addiction

by MTR » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:37 pm

bradrhod wrote:So then, Nates reply seems correct. There was one rule change, the rattle rule. That rule is clearly targetted at composite bats. It applies to all bats, but if your aluminum bat is rattling it is broken and needs repaired.

Never said Nate's reply wasn't correct.

There were rule change proposals to soutlaw any bat without a certification stamp and outlaw any multiwall aluminum or composite bat. Those two proposals which targeted specific bats. Neither gain the approval of any committee and was not challenged on the floor.

The rule change involving the rattle is not specific to composite breakdown. There have been rattles before composites hit the market. Some times it was caused by improper alteration in weight distribution or the individual just being careless when tinkering with the bat.

I believe Nate was referring to any "new" rules which may come about due to ASA's reevaluation of their testing method and standards.
MTR

Return to Fastpitch Discussions