Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

Thanks,Cannonball,Mozzy,3Bsnag, for reply

What's on your mind?

by Cannonball » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:27 am

Scott and Brad, both excellent posts. Coach Mike, I too would appreciate hearing about the differences. Here's my mindset. I have to enable by dd to be as efficient as she can in the swing process. That means that I have to train her to use her body the best, work on her reflexes as well and the mental part of hitting which involves situational hitting. In saying that, it is exactly what I have to do with training bb players. If I can get past the need for a "technique" and, instead, work on training her hands to remain connected, learn how to hit with her core better, work on an efficient kenetic link throughout her body then, and only then, can she realize that she has more than enough time through efficient training to recognize any pitch and drive it. Isn't that the ultimate goal? I know those that say hit ground balls. Is that the difference? I know people that say girls can't hit with power and so, move it over an infielder's head. Is that the difference? I know those that say that a girl can't hit with "tilt" because of the riseball. Is the goal then to remain vertically stacked?

I don't know your differences and yes, I'm a baseball coach and so, that might be a part of the problem. I guess I don't spend any time telling my dd that she can't... Instead, we work very hard on not leaving any energy left in her body when she finishes a swing. We work very hard at load and unload. Again, and I'm not trying to gang up on you, please describe some differences.

Take care,
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by ssarge » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:08 am

Would you not all agree that bat speed at the point of contact is probably #1.

I would put it at number 2.

I think swing QUICKNESS is significantly more important. Defined as elapsed time between swing launch and contact. Bat speed is a component of that, but it is possible to generate enormous bat speed in a manner which takes a while to ramp up. For example, Men's Majors slowpitch softball players. Who generate 110mph - or more - of bat speed. But it is a very slow developing swing.

As a contrast, MLB hitters are more like 90mph of bat speed. But their swing quickness - as measured by number of frames of 30fps video - is amazing. Generally 4 - 4.5 frames between first movement of hands into the swing plane and actual contact. Maybe 0.12 to 0.15 seconds.

And elite female hitters are getting close to that kind of measurement as well, because they are emulating MLB mechanics.

MLB hitters - either consciously, or just through natural selection - sacrifice some of the potentially available bat speed in order to be quicker. This is necessary to get a better pitchread. While 0.03 or 0.03 may not seem like much, in fact, it represents about 5+ feet of distance the pitch will travel. Getting another 5 feet to view the pitch - against world-class pitching - is huge. And in fact, it is necessary to survive at that level.

As for Vlad's swing - or anyone's - looking a little different, you're right. However, much of the differences typically seen occur pre-launch or post-contact. They are very much more visible to the human eye than the portion of the swing between launch and contact. hey develop slower, and last longer, and are just more readily seen. They shape the impression of swing differences. However, the portion of the MLB swing between launch and contact - that 0.12 to 0.15 seconds - is pretty darned consistent. Not a lot of variability there.

Regards,

Scott
ssarge

by ssarge » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:45 pm

Scott and Brad, both excellent posts. Coach Mike, I too would appreciate hearing about the differences. Here's my mindset. I have to enable by dd to be as efficient as she can in the swing process. That means that I have to train her to use her body the best, work on her reflexes as well and the mental part of hitting which involves situational hitting. In saying that, it is exactly what I have to do with training bb players. If I can get past the need for a "technique" and, instead, work on training her hands to remain connected, learn how to hit with her core better, work on an efficient kenetic link throughout her body then, and only then, can she realize that she has more than enough time through efficient training to recognize any pitch and drive it. Isn't that the ultimate goal? I know those that say hit ground balls. Is that the difference? I know people that say girls can't hit with power and so, move it over an infielder's head. Is that the difference? I know those that say that a girl can't hit with "tilt" because of the riseball. Is the goal then to remain vertically stacked?

Excellent plan. This will work, as you have outlined it.

You'll hear a lot of talk about "staying vertical." Very common. Probably because of the riser, as you surmise. Hard to do that and maintain connection.

First thing to consider is that the riseball is seldom thrown for a strike. Seriously. When it is, it gets hit. The point is to make a hitter chase. Learn not to chase it, and you're a long ways towards neutralizing it.

Check out the clips at Siggy's site, and I think you'll be able to make a determination about "verticality" of elite FP hitters.

As for ground balls - they are outs 75% of the time in FP, just as in BB (excluding slappers; I assume you are talking about full swing hitters). And line drives are hits 70% of the time in both venues. Further, it doesn't take all that much to put a ball over a 200' fence. Any reasonably skilled girl weighing 120 lbs or more can typically do it, assuming her mechanics are good.

Best,

Scott

http://imageevent.com/siggy/hitting/oly ... .buffalo_s
ssarge

by jofus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:49 pm

I was gonna say, that if you look at a lot of MLB players who's swings look "different", "unorthodox", whatever, from "launch" to "contact", then 95% of them look very similar. Maybe the Pre-swing and even the post-swing are different, but not the part that really counts.

FP, I made a very long winded post on your "bb v fp" post, so I won't repeat it here.

If you really want a lively discussion, you may get some bites at baseball fever :)
Proud fastpitch, baseball, volleyball, soccer, basketball, etc. Dad :)
jofus

Previous

Return to Fastpitch Discussions