Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

which states are making the most progress ...

What's on your mind?

by GC HURRICANE » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:46 am

I am sorry Florida Elite was in the 10U
GC HURRICANE

by umpinva » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:57 pm

heretostay wrote:Hey Lannie things are different in different parts of the country. One of my boys in So Cal says NSA stands for Not So Athletic, or No Softball Allowed, well his kids say that anyway. ASA nationals seem to bring in the cream of the crop but I think their numbers are down from previous years. I would not be surprised to see Triple Crown the top dog in the near future, they seem more in touch with the people.

Many people in the Mid-Atlantic States say that ASA stands for Appalling Softball Again. Many teams have switched to NSA, PONY and U-Trip.
umpinva

by Sftbll4ever » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:19 pm

umpinva wrote:
heretostay wrote:Hey Lannie things are different in different parts of the country. One of my boys in So Cal says NSA stands for Not So Athletic, or No Softball Allowed, well his kids say that anyway. ASA nationals seem to bring in the cream of the crop but I think their numbers are down from previous years. I would not be surprised to see Triple Crown the top dog in the near future, they seem more in touch with the people.

Many people in the Mid-Atlantic States say that ASA stands for Appalling Softball Again. Many teams have switched to NSA, PONY and U-Trip.

Personally I think that is because a lot of those teams can not compete in ASA. Pretty sure there are not a lot of scouts at the NSA Nationals.
Sftbll4ever

by Lannie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Sftbll,

There is a lot of truth in what umpinva is saying. 2 years ago when the 14U A Nationals were in Johnson City, Tennessee. Any local team that wanted to play had to travel a minimum of 4 hours to a qualifer. I know for a fact because we were one of them. ASA in this region is actually rec league. Yes ASA in other parts of the country is king and there is some great teams that play ASA. BUT......... This past summer my DD's 14U team played USFA and there were numerous teams that finished high in ASA that her team spanked on thier way to winning the A nationals.
Its getting to the point that ASA is losing its monoply in the softball world.
Lannie

by ManitouDan » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:31 pm

dallasfungo---the 10u nationals from 07 you posted --Is that results from the ASA tourney in georgia or alabama , alabama I though was 10u ASA nationals ? Thanks MD
ManitouDan

by dallasfungo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm

ManitouDan wrote:dallasfungo---the 10u nationals from 07 you posted --Is that results from the ASA tourney in georgia or alabama , alabama I though was 10u ASA nationals ? Thanks MD

Those were from Alabama. See http://www.softball.org/tournaments/get ... p?tid=2052.

Tagging on to another line in this and another post, it sursprises me to hear that ASA isn't that highly regarded in other parts of the country. In North Texas, ASA is really the only game in town. I don't remember seeing a Triple Crown tournament posted around Dallas (but I would love to go to Park City in the summer). The closest USSSA events are in East Texas but there are too few competitive teams out there to make the trip worth while. I think there are some jointly ASA/USFA sponsored tournaments throughout the year, but not many. Generally the teams around here who go to a USFA, USSSA or other national tournaments are B teams, those who don't qualify for ASA-A nationals, or those teams just moving up to a new age bracket who don't think they can compete with older teams (and don't want to spend the $$$ to go 0-2). I have always understood that the highest level of competition (and college scouting) happened at ASA tournaments, particularly in the14U, 16U and 18UGold classifications. No?
dallasfungo

by 3Bsnag » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:29 pm

Art- TNT is from OK and yes, the 94 Batbusters are from Ft Worth. We watched the OH Slammers, they were really good with great pitching. TX Peppers are usually really good too.

As for dallas, he's right. Nothing around here, but ASA. The only TCS event is the tourney they put on in OK during the WCWS. There aren't many complaints here about ASA except team classification, B teams that win all their tournaments and aren't moved up to A. Those posts are alway funny to read.
3Bsnag

by artomatic » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:41 pm

3Bsnag wrote:Art- TNT is from OK and yes, the 94 Batbusters are from Ft Worth. We watched the OH Slammers, they were really good with great pitching. TX Peppers are usually really good too.

As for dallas, he's right. Nothing around here, but ASA. The only TCS event is the tourney they put on in OK during the WCWS. There aren't many complaints here about ASA except team classification, B teams that win all their tournaments and aren't moved up to A. Those posts are alway funny to read.

in 2005, our 10u rec all star team made it to the western b nationals in san antonio. all the so cal teams were surprised that alot of the texas and oklahoma teams in the tournament were travel teams. we thought we were going to play league all star teams such as our own...these teams were recruiting, having tryouts, had websites, etc...we were told that teams in some parts of the country can petition asa to be allowed to be classified as a B team, and still be a travel team.
in socal, rec leagues that pick all star teams are B teams, and teams that select their players are A teams, regardless of talent, or lack of...

when it was all said and done the top 5 teams had come out of the so cal state tournament, which i thought was interesting...but since then, the gap is defintely closing, which really is a good thing.
Deserve's got nothin' to do with it.
artomatic
Premium Member
Premium Member

by ManitouDan » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:01 am

interesting stuff , In Ohio ASA is king with NSA also being utilized alot also. As far as the A vs B level , we were signed up to go the Eastern ASA B 12u nationals in the harrisburg pa area but at the last minute we got sent (or by our own choice ? ) to go to the A in York pa. We had an injury to our ace so we went somewhat less than full strength. My kid played thru sickness. We went 1-3 . I'd guess even at full strength the best we could have done was 3-2 or 2-2 .
The team that won the B event in harrisburg (So. Ohio Fury) went 0-2 against us , with both games being pretty close. They were close to our equal even though we beat then a couple time. They said most of the teams at the B event were rec league all stars. But the fury was a dedicated travel team.

I thought the Lady Lasers out of Columbus Oh. finished top ten in alabama at 10u last year . I'll check that out. MD
ManitouDan

by The Viking » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:58 am

12u DIAMOND CHIX OUT OF STL MO.
The Viking

PreviousNext

Return to Fastpitch Discussions