Follow
Donate to HeyBucket.com - Amount:

Welcome Anonymous !

Your Fastpitch Softball Bible

Fastpitch Discussions

play up or stay in thier age group

What's on your mind?

by txfpcoach » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:55 pm

Just curious as to your thoughts on playing up. We recently went through the tough decision of realigning our daughter with her own age group 8U. She could compete at the next level (10U) but the team planned to move up (12U) and she wouldn't be ready for that big of a jump. So we set her up with a great team and girls her own age who will move up to 10U in the fall. What are your thoughts on playing up pro's and con's.
txfpcoach

by 3Bsnag » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:23 pm

At that age, I think you made the right decision. Let her have fun while learning the basics.

However, we just experienced our 1st year playing up (12 yr old playing 14U) and it was completely worth the extra hours of practice. It was mostly playing with the older girls that got her to this level because she wanted to say she was as good as they were. Now she can.

I think in a few years you have to look at her and honestly assess if she has "it" to step up and not just sit the bench on an older team.
3Bsnag

by Cannonball » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:29 pm

When it comes to playing up, I don't think it is as much about being able to hit as it is being able to defend themselves in the case of a hard hit ball etc. Therefore, a part of what the parent has to think about is the child's position. We moved our kid up a year or two ago and were worried that she might not be good enough despite encouragement from others. She is a pitcher. She is OK but not great. Sure enough here she was 12 pitching in 14U where some of the girls are really 15 and a shot was hit back at her. It hit her in the pelvis. She recorded the out and then screamed. As parents, we knew that was enough. We needed to let her mature some more. I guess what I'm saying that a parent shouldn't get caught up in the mystique of playing up where they overlook the safety of their child. It was a hard lesson for us. Thank goodness it worked out. We're very lucky!
Granny said sonny stick to your guns if you believe in something no matter what because it's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

CoachB25 on other boards.
Cannonball

by xxxYerOut » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:55 pm

As long as dd can learn something at her own age level, why take away their hay days. There is nothing wrong with being one of the stars among your peers. It just might build some confidence that may come in handy later.

If she is beyond the teaching/learning level of any of the teams available in her age bracket, then she will likely benefit from an older team. Perhaps positioning her with the best coaching she can find at her age would be a better idea, if she doesn't already have that.

It will get much more difficult later, it doesn't need to get difficult now.
xxxYerOut

by txfpcoach » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks for the advice. She plays 1st in 8U and left in 10U so we made sure she was positioned correctly. Her fielding was great just not enough arm strength to throw out the faster girls infield and not enough power to get a hit forcing her to bunt alot which worked but frustrated her. Nice to see some level headed folks on this board unlike some of the other boards. The Mental aspect, adolesence, and maturity where the main reasons I'm amazed at some of the things the 10-11 year olds were talking about in the dugout and between games. Thanks for making me feel like it wasn't a step back like I did
txfpcoach

Return to Fastpitch Discussions